Reaction score
Here's the plan for Day 5 of our Swiss Alps Tour :rob

Swiss Alps Tour: Day 5 - Saint Moritz to Nauders

day5.jpg

Distance: 296km/183miles
Approx. Riding Time: Approx 6 Hours
Maximum Altitude: 2757m :eek:
Countries: Switzerland (Cantons Graubunden), Italy & Austria
Route: Saint Moritz, Pontresina, Bernina Pass, Livigno, Eira Pass, Foscagno Pass, Bormio, Sondalo, Trivigno, Aprica Pass, Edolo, Ponte di Legno, Gavia Pass, Bormio, Stelvio Pass, Stelvio, Malles Venosta, San Valentino Alla Muta, Reschen Pass, Nauders.

Overview: This is going to be a cracker of a day - 7 mountain passes including the Stelvio and 3 countries. Not one to ride with a hangover :beer:

Route Summary: No point going through the route in detail as it speaks for itself really and I'm 100% sure it'll be an awesome day :JB GPS guys make sure you take the narrow road through Trivogno arriving just east of the Aprica Pass. We end the day in Nauders, Austria so don't forget your Lederhosen :D

Google all the pass names for pics especially the Stelvio which as you can see looks rather special :-

stelvio.jpg

This is my suggestion for Day 5 chaps. I hope it meets with your approval :thumb2

Accommodation options will follow shortly :)

Looks great :thumb2
I've done the Stelvio pass in the opposite direction in the past,should be interesting coming down :D

That route looks absolutely stunning. It sums up what it's all about.

Nice one, mon ami.

:thumb2:thumb2

Erm...you have your A and B round the wrong way. :D

Last edited:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xoy6oqkRHAM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xoy6oqkRHAM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is all I can say.

Looks Amazing as do all the routes planned so far:clap
I had to decide between a new job and this trip:confused: so glad i decided on the trip i can find a job when i get back:thumb

My excitement is now annoying the missus i cant wait to go:bounce1

Thanks Magnum

All good roads and i'm not even going with you (but will be around there the week b4 you lot)

Col de Aprica is one of my favs and I last did it 10 years ago.............will try to go again this year

Day 5

Could you please post a detailed section between Tirano and Aprica.

Not sure which way to go ??

thanks

Gerry H.

Sure thing Gerry. Will get to work on it later and post another map.

Sure thing Gerry. Will get to work on it later and post another map.

This is what I've plotted in MapSource - would appreciate confirmation, though.

I've also plotted Days 1 to 5 (awaiting Day 5 hotel address). If anyone wants the file, PM me with your email addy, and I'll gladly send it on. It's a bit big to post here.

Obviously, I'd welcome any feedback/suggestions/interpretations from fellow Garminers, and compare notes etc.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 385
Close mon ami, but I think you are too far west.

Take a look at this :-

61823380.jpg

Full details here.

I picked that route because it looks very windy indeed and might make an interesting diversion from the main route :rob

Looks like there's a few ways to make that crossing :thumb2

Close mon ami, but I think you are too far west.

Take a look at this :-

61823380.jpg

Full details here.

I picked that route because it looks very windy indeed and might make an interesting diversion from the main route :rob

Looks like there's a few ways to make that crossing :thumb2

Danke, Mine Hairy. I'll amend the maps post haste and forthwith, if not sooner or immediately.

There's a couple of 'bits' like that on the high-level maps you've posted.

I don't want to be leaning on your good nature to fine-tune bits and bobs, for a GPS Luddite like me, but if you happen to have the 'written' directions in Google Maps, perhaps I might get sight when you're not busy? Just want to make sure that if I do get seperated from the pack, I can find my way on a regular route, especially if my KTM needs a tow...:thumb

No rush.

Are we there, yet?

I've finally heard back from a suitable hotel in Nauders.

The Hotel Neue Burg is a 4 star hotel on the outskirts of the small town of Nauders and is well reviewed.

They have 4 singles and 6 double/twin rooms available at a cost of €66 (approx £58) per person irrespective of room type. The good news is that this rate is for half board so includes dinner and breakfast :clap

I'm going to book it tonight unless anyone has any strong objections :nenau

Remember in Austria they speak German and it's Euro-land. Save your Swiss Francs for the rest of the trip :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom