The 2nd "Ride To The Wall" - 10th Oct 2009

rocks

Reaction score
Was not sure where to post this, so for now I thought I would put it here;

The First RTTW or Ride To The Wall was held last year. The event was basicaly a homage to the brave men who have through conflict given their lives and continue to sadly do so for our country. Whom are remembered at the National Memorial Arboretum.

This event is inteded as both an act of remembrance as a well as to raise funds for the upkeep of the National Memorial Arboretum ( http://www.thenma.org.uk/ )
Last year over 2000 motorcycle riders made the trip to the Arboretum.

The event is being repeated again on the 10th of October 2009.

I am hoping to make the trip to the Arboretum in Staffordshire this year myself. Participation registration and further details can be found on the RTTW Website ; http://www.rttw.org/

I am hoping some of my fellow UKGSers will be up for joining there on the day.

I shall be going to this, a chap at work who went last year told me about it. He showed me some of his piccies taken on the day, very impressive turn out.

Have just registered for the wife and I - will be camping as well by the looks of it

Adrian

A fantastic event. I was priviliged to be involved in the first one last year (as a road captain,with others from Aire Valley HOG who'd volunteered) and the whole event was amazing.The atmosphere at the National Memorial Arboretum was one of great respect and dignity. Martin Dickinson and his crew at Nene Valley HOG were originally expecting about 200 bikes from the various HOG chapters. About 800 registered. About 2,500 turned up on the day. Absolute mayhem :D
Two of us from Aire Valley led the second bunch of around 800 bikes from the holding area at Tamworth to the NMA. Quite an experience.
90% Harleys in '08 but I'm sure there are many UKGSER'S who are Military/Emergency services and who would like to remember those who can no longer ride with us.
rttw.org.uk
Take the piss out of Harleys and/or HOG members all you like from behind your f#cking keyboards..........see you at the RTTW :) ride safe.

Helpful

Thanks for the "helpful " reply I have never heard of this memorial along with many others I suspect but have a good trip anyway.

Putting the word around..

Well I had not known anything about the first RTTW last year, it was only when my father spotted an article about it, in the British Legion magazine that I took an interest my self. I knew about the national memorial arburetum but only from articles on the news about it and its openning.

Given the strength of military history we have in this country, it strange that compared to some others, we really don't celebrate or undertaken as many acts of remembrance.

Apart from helping to raise funds for a very good cause, I am hoping it will show a bit of support for the often thankless efforts of our armed forces and the emergency services. And personally for me, having lost friends who served it will be my chance to remember them.

Aire Valley HOG are meeting at Woodall Services,8am.
Alternatively,pick a place and post it on here.:)

RTTW

Whose going then? I'm riding up and camping at Drayton Manor on the Friday night..maybe Sat depending on the finish time :thumb2

I'm going

Plan A: (If it's sunny) Take the Harley and join the HDRCGB who are leaving from Drayton Manor :ymca

Plan B: (If it's wet) Take the GS and join whoever will talk to us :p

Last year's event was really moving and a massive turnout overwhelmed the organisers to say the least. The service held at the memorial was very appropriate. This year there is also a new RAF memorial, and a lot more names on the wall ( :( )

If you are going be VERY carefull, some of the riding was truly terrifying and I saw a number of serious incidents despite the fact that it was supposed to be a procession with zero overtaking. :eek

Two of us from Aire Valley were leading the second bunch of (several hundred) bikes and saw the aftermath of the accidents,an Ultra propped up on the central Armco and another bike on the hard shoulder. I think the only injury was a broken ankle,the lady pillion on the Ultra. I think a few of the bikes behind me thought they were going to get left behind and took off in pursuit of the first bunch but, as you'll know,all the junctions were marked and the Arboretum was a bit of a bottle-neck to say the least.
If you want to help out Mr Mutley ask at the sign-in for Jester,Nene Valley's Head Road Captain.:ymca Have a good one.
I'm in Scotland but I'll be riding past the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge sometime on Sat. so I plan on raising a wee dram there instead.

Drayton Manner Meeting Point

"RTTW 2009 will assemble from a new parking area at Drayton Manor Theme Park. RTTW have been given exclusive use of this new area for camping and as the assembly point for the ride to the Arboretum.There will be hot food and drinks available at Drayton Manor from 7:00 am on the Saturday morning".

I am struggling to find on their websit what time they plan to leave the manner, but given they are hoping for 5000 odd bikes I suspect it will be a slow get away.

Camping is also available. Have alook on the RTTW website.

Two of us from Aire Valley were leading the second bunch of (several hundred) bikes and saw the aftermath of the accidents,an Ultra propped up on the central Armco and another bike on the hard shoulder. I think the only injury was a broken ankle,the lady pillion on the Ultra. I think a few of the bikes behind me thought they were going to get left behind and took off in pursuit of the first bunch but, as you'll know,all the junctions were marked and the Arboretum was a bit of a bottle-neck to say the least.
If you want to help out Mr Mutley ask at the sign-in for Jester,Nene Valley's Head Road Captain.:ymca Have a good one.

It wasn't just the incidents that scared me it was the general 'riding in a group' skill level. The marshalls did what they could but if there are nobs and inexperienced riders in the mix it is always going to be a bit scary.

It wasn't just the incidents that scared me it was the general 'riding in a group' skill level. The marshalls did what they could but if there are nobs and inexperienced riders in the mix it is always going to be a bit scary.
Too right, good craic though. :aidan

Our own route..

Well I friend of mine is hopefully coming up from south wales, so we are likley to be meeting up around stafford services and then making our way across to the Arboretum on our own route.

As you say, you cannot account for the skill levels of other riders, only your own sadly.

However I believe last year the organisers were somewhat overwhelmed by the responce, this year they seem to have a far better idea of the popularity of it, so hoping the organisation side will have risen in standards accordingly.

I cannot seem to find out what time they plan to leave park and head to the arboretum, so my mate and I are aiming to get to the arboretum about 10.30am. Give us enought time to have a look around for a few hours and then head back our respective ways with a reasonable amount of light left in the day.

Back
Top Bottom