Memorial de Caen Museum

Haven't been here before and have read mixed reviews on Tripadvisor and Virtual Tourist.

Anyone been?

Yes, a must if in the area, there`s a cool history wall as you wall through also THE MOVIE is real cool.

Don`t lisen to others just go.

There`s a saying CAN`T THINK OF IT AT THE MOMENT

+ 1 on those, as well as recommend the museums at Arromanches & Bayeux. Also, if you're going to the latter, the Tapiserie de la Reine Mathilde (Bayeux Tapestry to us) is definitely worth seeing

Cheers. I have been to Bayeux before but many years ago and will go again, same for the beaches but in the years the museums must have improved the "experience"....

All good...

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Bayeux, Arromanches, Caen and (don't forget) Pegasus Bridge...

Allow PLENTY of time, 'cos once you get into the subject, it's vast...

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Bayeux, Arromanches, Caen and (don't forget) Pegasus Bridge...

Allow PLENTY of time, 'cos once you get into the subject, it's vast...

I will. I'm generally a WW1 devotee as I have relatives planted on French soil, but WW2 passed us by with no casualties apart from Uncle Arthur deaf from the guns at El Alamein (some say he feigned it as his wife could talk for Lancashire and England) and Uncle Reg frostbitten on the convoys to Russia...

My dad was in the Navy too and my father in law in the Commandos in Burma. Both came back in once piece.

Also, don't miss out on Falaise and its part on the D-Day story not to be missed because of that and is also the birthpace of William the Conqueror.

It is also just outside the area called Suisse Normandy, the name gives you an indication of what the terrain is like.

I just bought the 2009 Holt's Pocket Guide to the D-Day landing beaches to get some extra help. Looks pretty good and does come with some GPS info, but not for every place but the main sights seem to be covered.

Merville Battery is also worth a visit, only about 10 minutes from Pegasus Bridge, its where the Germans set up a battery of guns to cover the landing beaches, they swamped all the surrounding fields to make attacking the battery difficult,captured by british paras just prior to the Landings.

well worth a visit, although i know you can only do so much in a weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stuart

Merville Battery is also worth a visit, only about 10 minutes from Pegasus Bridge, its where the Germans set up a battery of guns to cover the landing beaches, they swamped all the surrounding fields to make attacking the battery difficult,captured by british paras just prior to the Landings.

well worth a visit, although i know you can only do so much in a weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stuart

I'll add that to Monday's route on the way back from Caen to Shuttle... planned to do Pegasus and Honfleur!!!!

With Mrs Moto wanting to go to Mont St Michel it means a limited time on the Beach Route...

So far I have the attached route for Saturday!

Attachments

• Beaches.gdb
    73.5 KB · Views: 102

Back
Top Bottom