Wetlands nr Retford/Doncaster - great alternative day out

zerocool

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this so mods please move if desired.

Myself and Mrs ZC have been gallivanting all over the show discovering new places and planning some more exotic UK destinations for October. Needless to say we have been having fun whilst out and about and I would like to share with you a little gem hidden away near Retford just south of Doncaster and set in 32 acres of lakes and woodland.

Wetlands is animal park with a difference and best of all its ran by a really nice biking couple who were very welcoming and couldn't be more down to earth if they tried. They truly have a love for the animals and it didnt take long for us to discover that Jo is just nuts about chickens. Great for us as thats Mrs ZCs current obsession.

It costs around £4.50 to get in for adults and £3.50 for children which I think is a fitting price.

www.wetlandswildlife.co.uk

Google maps link =====> http://tinyurl.com/mtcosg

There is a affordable cafe even more appealing for some, an affordable gift shop so the kids can have something to remind them of the park without breaking the bank.

The athmosphere is very calming as its not excessively busy as its out of the way. The whole grounds are very quiet and there are fishermen mixed in within the wildlife. You could happily pop down their for the afternoon to get away from the noise of the house and read a book, you could pop down with the family and entertain the kids and you could also pop down for some education, its got it all.

Imagine a zoo with exotic animals and for the ones that cant do you any harm the barriers have been removed, stroke, feed and admire nature at its best. Many of the animals have total free roam accross the park and settle wherever they see fit.

Monkeys, Wallabies, Owls, Donkeys, Meerkats, Chickens, Vultures, Alpacas, Lamas, Ostriches, Sheep, Yaks, Racoons, Deer, Peacocks, Pelicans, Storks, Ducks, Geese, Goats, Boars, Shetland Ponies and many many more that I just cant remember or describe.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Featured on Britains Best Breaks on Sky chanel 160

Some reviews from Google

zoonyx‎ said:
This nature reserve has been through some bad times recently, but always seems to somehow survive. Two large lakes are home to a vast array of bird life and other animals. Great for kids, and bird food is available for a small charge. The walk round the lakes is very nice in the summer

qype.co.uk said:
The Wetlands Waterfowl and Exotic Bird is a unique experience comprising of many exotic animals, touch, hear, see and smell the residents at Wetlands. Set in 32 acres of lakes and woodland. Wetlands has a broad selection of exotic residents from all over the globe

enjoyengland.com said:
Wetlands Waterfowl Reserve‎'s primary objective is to enable people of all ages to view and get close to animals they wouldnt normally have the chance to see. The 23-acre parkland also provides a fantastic location for a relaxing stroll in the countryside.

And here are a few of the many pictures we took whilst there:

2qa3a0i.jpg

2zi368l.jpg

2012d74.jpg

311mnn7.jpg

2exwlxx.jpg

21jodhx.jpg

slsg9g.jpg

2gumkvn.jpg

29ehh00.jpg

68bsaq.jpg

2hqgwnp.jpg