would anyone like carbon fibre panniers

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
well would you, just waiting to hear back on a price and viability of different sizes etc etc .

Steptoe said:
well would you, just waiting to hear back on a price and viability of different sizes etc etc .

This is April 1st right? Why would anyone want carbon fibre panniers? The price of the panniers (unless you used glassfibre as well to add substance) would be horrendous. The only way to make them robust and thin would be to use a carbon kevlar mix (see my crud deflector) and that is even more expensive than just carbon.

They would look cool though....

Mike

Mike

my cart is all carboned up with accser acsess accero - (oh feck it) bits .

:D :D

easy solution

get a set of verns apnniers and then cover them in this stuff

link here

product_image.php

only 10 dollars for a sheet of carbon fibre sticky stuff..

:)

regards

pthag

Neil,

sorry i didn't reply to your PM ref these carbon panniers but i was a bit pre-occupied with the move.

Were you aware that you can buy sheets of ABS in carbon look-a-like ? This might be a lower cost alternative if you wanted the look.
I used to use it a lot for box packaging using vacuum forming.
Panniers would be ideal for this process. but you'd have to stiffen
them up with bracing or an internal frame.

I remember helping to make a samsonite briefcase in carbon - the outers were replaced and kept the original clamshell locking frame.
I think samsonite make them in carbon now, but this was 15 yrs ago.

Phil

Thats ok Phil, glad your move went ok . Looks like its going to be expensive and loads of faffing around, i don't think i want to get involved, i might try a pair for myself, if i get the time, or perhaps your suggestion of carbon rocker covers, . Goodday mate,
whats ya favourite colour, blue; whats your name , sheila.

old ones are the best.

:D :D

yep - the old ones are the best

and i think you're older than me ............. :)

good thing about rocker cover covers is you can use a pair of old rocker covers as the pattern .

Have you spoken to any moulders yet ?

Pthag - that carbon film sticky back plastic ? Don't do it mate - its soooo tacky and blue peter-ish

( available from Demon tweeks in the UK though )

Phil

Back
Top Bottom