Morocco 2010

stef25

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm quite set on going to Morocco sometime in 2010, for 2 – 3 weeks and I'd love some company. So far I've found one other Belgian on the HUBB who is also enthusiastic about going.

He's around 50 on an 1150, I'm around 30 and on a '07 Dakar, neither of us very experienced in the dirt. I'm happy spending 10hrs a day in the saddle and can do about 700Km / day on little tarmac roads, sans mishaps. A few days of camping under the stars and cheap accommodation sounds much better than 5 stars.

We're not really fussed when we go but I'm quite inpatient so would prefer early 2010.

Anyone interested, post here please!

Any progress

Hi

Any progress on those plans...I may be interested in joining you for some or all ..Did you have any dates in mind.. At the moment I am only planning next ears rides from my arm chair but from little acorns etc

Stephen

I'm going in March. Will be leaving around the 26th for two weeks. There may be a couple of guys from the North West as well, but they'll probably whimp out :blast so I'll keep an eye out on here....I'd suggest getting some off road experience under your belt before going though.....

i will be going next year but it will be late July early august,,, went on my own a few years ago but had rectifier problems with the bike a vfr which took a lot of the fun out of the trip and i didn't get to see all the places i wanted to,,, since being there i have always wanted to return so any one thinking of going around this time and fancy some company :nenau

hi all, nice to see some interest in morocco '10. I'm flexible regarding dates and routes. March sounds good.

stevie73 - how are you planning on getting there? what routes / areas are you looking at?

Hi Stef25, I may be interested in joining up with you for this, may also be able to involve a couple of french guys that I met and rode with whilst living in France. Camping sounds good to me, maybe a mix of that and cheaper hotels?
Is it a fixed date for March next year or are you flexible, April perhaps? I have no problem at the moment for either month.
I am in the early stages of thinking about going to Maroc, possibly also Mauritania and Mali but morocco for sure. I know that the french guys are thinking about a bigger trip for March/April next year
I will be riding a Yamaha Tenere or BMW X Challenge, the XC may have become a DRZ400 by then :augie
I would think that if I go I will ride down from the UK through France and then afterwards take the ferry back from Santander in Spain to Portsmouth.

I have some offroad experience, the two french guys are pretty experienced off road.

Hey,

I'm flexible with dates. Mar - Apr is fine as long as the weather isn't too extreme out there (prefer heat to cold).

I'll only have 2-3 weeks so visiting other countries will be difficult. The only things I need to sort out is dirt experience (courses planned) and how to get there.

Riding down via France is cool with me but you'd have to count at least 3 days from N-France to S-Spain, if I'm not mistaken? There are boats from S-France to Morocco but that doesn't save time (just the mileage).

When will you (or anyone else :)) be ready to make concrete plans? I'm up for it ...

Stef

Looks like this thread is up and running

Hey all..
Looks like this thread is up and running...Great...

I am flexable on the dates etc but not into the off road bit ... Maybe more will come on board and we can keep all happy ... Any lets see how this developes ...:type

My preference goes to limited amounts of very technical off-road, lots of easy going dirt and some camping if not cheap hostels.

Assuming Fri evenings after work is the best time to get going, here's a start date: March 26. Check your calendars :)

Riding down via France is cool with me but you'd have to count at least 3 days from N-France to S-Spain, if I'm not mistaken?

France and Spain is very easily do-able in two days.

We've done a moroccan dash the last few easter times, and leave calais in the morning on day one, and arrive at algerciras evening of day two. ready to cross to morocco on morning of day three.
And that's usually with anything from 6 to 10 riders.

I could be interested interested in this trip, dates etc..pretty flexible for me!

France and Spain is very easily do-able in two days.

We've done a moroccan dash the last few easter times, and leave calais in the morning on day one, and arrive at algerciras evening of day two. ready to cross to morocco on morning of day three.
And that's usually with anything from 6 to 10 riders.

Yeh...but you're a freak of nature with buttocks of steel:eek:

Another Interested GS

Hi All,
Very interested in a 3 week Morocco tour and March/April is good for me.
Personal preference would be to travel the Plymouth/Santander route and then a scenic roads down through Spain (2 or 3 days). Would also prefer the Morocco road tour route together with hotels as opposed to camping.

The same hymn sheet

Hey Pembs GSA

Sounds like we are both singing from the same hymn sheet... At this early stage of this thread it looks like there are two trains of thought on this one ... The off road and the tarmac ... As I say its early days yet but good to have ideas for plans however rough at this stage...

Hey Pembs GSA

Sounds like we are both singing from the same hymn sheet... At this early stage of this thread it looks like there are two trains of thought on this one ... The off road and the tarmac ... As I say its early days yet but good to have ideas for plans however rough at this stage...

Off road & camping all the way you puffs!!!! :rob:rob

PembsGSA.....bloody typical :blast You have a GSA and say you want to stay in hotels for 3 weeks...:blast:blast:blast:blast:blast:blast:blast

You're a disgrace to the race man!!:ymca

hi all
i would be very interested in joining in on this trip have a 12 gsa
some offroad experienc but not on the gsa but up for some
would ride from uk france spain 2/3 days hotels and camping sounds good to me
im 45 like a beer or 6 :beerjug: just got a new new to me 08 gsa need to do a trip like this sounds great
paul

Non Camper

Apologies for being a “disgrace to the race” for not camping. I'm afraid I favour the creature comforts of a local hotel and not loading up the bike.

I don’t mind camping, but however, after reading Tim Cullis excellent knowledge base on this site, there seems to be “little saving to be made, given the low cost of local accommodation”…”local accommodation is available for little as £8-£13 per night for a twin room”.

I must confess, that for me the tour is about enjoying riding the bike, exploring the spectacular sights of Morocco, and staying in a mixture of cheap and a few more comfortable hotels. Given the limited timescale (3 weeks), I would like to see as many sights as possible. Rather not load up the bike each morning with tent/pegs/sleeping bag/thermarest ect ect, and then spend each evening setting up it all back up again. Apparently, if you fancy sleeping under canvas, “many hotels offer permanent 'bedu style' tents set up in the gardens or roofs as a cheap option which is certainly viable in the summer months”.

I guess, for all interested Morocco tourists there are a number of fundamental decisions have to be made prior to planning. Here are some suggestions for starters;

Camping or hotels,
Off Road or Road/compacted road,
Duration,
Route
Daily Mileage

I'm going in March. Will be leaving around the 26th for two weeks. There may be a couple of guys from the North West as well, but they'll probably whimp out :blast so I'll keep an eye out on here....I'd suggest getting some off road experience under your belt before going though.....

hi steve might be up for this,perhaps,ill have to get a bit of offroad experience myself if i go.perhaps you could lead a few of us on some easy trails before then. jim

Apologies for being a “disgrace to the race” for not camping. I'm afraid I favour the creature comforts of a local hotel and not loading up the bike.

I don’t mind camping, but however, after reading Tim Cullis excellent knowledge base on this site, there seems to be “little saving to be made, given the low cost of local accommodation”…”local accommodation is available for little as £8-£13 per night for a twin room”.

I must confess, that for me the tour is about enjoying riding the bike, exploring the spectacular sights of Morocco, and staying in a mixture of cheap and a few more comfortable hotels. Given the limited timescale (3 weeks), I would like to see as many sights as possible. Rather not load up the bike each morning with tent/pegs/sleeping bag/thermarest ect ect, and then spend each evening setting up it all back up again. Apparently, if you fancy sleeping under canvas, “many hotels offer permanent 'bedu style' tents set up in the gardens or roofs as a cheap option which is certainly viable in the summer months”.

I guess, for all interested Morocco tourists there are a number of fundamental decisions have to be made prior to planning. Here are some suggestions for starters;

Camping or hotels,
Off Road or Road/compacted road,
Duration,
Route
Daily Mileage

I hear ya. Like you say, all depends on what kind of experience you're looking for.....Personally, I don't wanna be burdened by having to ride to a town to look for a cheap £10 hotel at the end of a days riding in heat and difficult terrain to sleep in a flea ridden dump. Would prefer to pitch my tent (takes 10 minutes) wherever and whenever I need to sleep and eat. My tent weighs less than 4 kilos, added to the rest of my camping gear and it's less than 10 kilos......I can live with that. In fact, I could probably lose that in personal weight during the trip....

So the check list for me would look like this:

Camping or hotels - Camping/occasional hotel
Off road or road/compacted road - Mixture off all, but largely off road
Duration - 10 days in Moroc
Route - mix of pre determined & whatever looks interesting along the way
Daily mileage - Depends on terrain, could be 20 miles, could be 600.

It's an adventure, a trip into the unknown, meant to be challenging, not an itinerary.....am I naive?:nenau

Would just like to say though, this is Stefs open invite thread, so it's largely his rules anyway....

Back
Top Bottom