Ieper - where can I camp

wheeledwidewebb

Reaction score
I don't know whether to put this is the camping section, the accomodation section, or this section. Anyway here goes.

I fancy riding my pushbike (yeah I know its not a BMW) to Eiper, staying overnight and then coming back the next day.

Can anyone recommend a campsite round that neck of the woods?

As you see it looks as if you can cross a footbridge to the town side of the river. You then have a pleasant stroll upto the Menin Gate.

Kaycee I think that is the same place, unless both sites have 4 cabins and are right next to each other.

Just to try to clarify this before I get back to work, the "jeugdstation" site is right beside Ypres (Ieper), where as the camping-ypra site appears to be in Kemmel.

Hope you get it sorted.

Just to try to clarify this before I get back to work, the "jeugdstation" site is right beside Ypres (Ieper), where as the camping-ypra site appears to be in Kemmel.

Hope you get it sorted.

Oh f*ck it your right. I have just called them :blast

Time to try and book in at the other. Thanks.

I've stayed at both.

The Mount Kemmel site is nice but there's only a bar and a limited shop. Finding somewhere to eat in Kemmel defeated us in 2007. There are good views across the Ypres salient and to Paschendaele.

The downside of the Ypres site is the clue in the name, it's on the same site as a Youth Centre and it's noisy until late evening. It's also a public thoroughfare. Of the three pitches for tents, you have a choice of being next to the main footpath through the site, next to the main entrance and the (not very quiet electric barrier) or near the ablutions building with all the other campers traipsing past.

The Cabins are not very big and not much privacy if they are all occupied.

It's only a short walk to the Mennin Gate/town centre and a nice walk too if you use the path that runs along the town walls.

Yes thanks.

Its not the end of the world if we cant get in the other place as its only 6 miles from Ypres but it would be nice to be able to walk into town.
I presume Kemmel will have a cafe / bar in the village.

I've stayed at both.

The Mount Kemmel site is nice but there's only a bar and a limited shop. Finding somewhere to eat in Kemmel defeated us in 2007. There are good views across the Ypres salient and to Paschendaele.

The downside of the Ypres site is the clue in the name, it's on the same site as a Youth Centre and it's noisy until late evening. It's also a public thoroughfare. Of the three pitches for tents, you have a choice of being next to the main footpath through the site, next to the main entrance and the (not very quiet electric barrier) or near the ablutions building with all the other campers traipsing past.

The Cabins are not very big and not much privacy if they are all occupied.

It's only a short walk to the Mennin Gate/town centre and a nice walk too if you use the path that runs along the town walls.

Thanks Mike that is very usefull.

Sounds if Kemmel might be the better option.

Thanks Mike that is very usefull.

Sounds if Kemmel might be the better option.

Jim,

If you do use Kemmel, make certain that you have enough rations to feed yourselves. There is a baker's in the Town but not much else.

TBH, of the two, if Ypres itself is where you want to spend your evenings, it's a nice ride from Kemmel but having to ride there to eat each evening could be a drag. However, if it's just you and Euan, I suppose having a skin-full isn't your priority.

Thanks, I think we may just stay at Kemmel. Its three of us on bikes and we are only there for two nights so as long as we can get a couple of beers back in the village after riding into Ypres for a meal that'll be fine.

The site sounds a nicer one from what you say and the others aren't big boozers.

Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom