Dolomites late September

Archie Beag

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having reached agreement with my better half for a late season solo tour I thought I’d head for the Dolomites. This will be a whole new area for me which is always exciting. Given that I’ve been lost in lots of other places more than once before it should make a refreshing change.

Loose plan would be to cross Hull / Zeebrugge on the 23rd Sept. Motorway and dual carriageway as far as Sedan and then spend the first night somewhere a bit east and south of Metz. Next day head south through the Vosges region, cut across the bottom of the Black Forest to spend the 2nd night somewhere pointing at Garmisch or mibbee’s down towards Livigno and be ready for the Stelvio in the morning. Dunno yet, I’ll see how the notion takes me at the time but towards the Stelvio is the marginal favourite.

Final destination, based on recommendations read on here is Arabba and the Hotel Olympia for 4 nights to give three full days riding round in circles in the Dolomites and surrounding area………….Please God, I’m a good man, let the sun shine just a wee bit.

Homewards there’s half an idea to spend two nights in the Black Forest so there might be a proper full day riding round and circling trees instead of mountains, or at least route north through the Forest and spend just one night among the Pines and Gateaux’s.
Final ferry home, again from Zeebrugge, would be arriving Hull on Sunday 4th Oct.

Only thing I’m booking is the ferry and the Hotel in Arabba, which is not done yet. Just winging it for the rest of the accommodation (It’ll be hotels though)

The dates are slightly flexible if needs be.
I’m due home from my mighty vessel on Wed 16th / Thur 17th Sept.
So, by the time I fall in the door, get pished, sober up, organise new tyres for the Beastie then sort out the usual household business that awaits the weary sailor every time he gets home, I’d not like to head out too much before the 23rd.
It could be done a day or so earlier for sure if necessary and it could also slip to a bit later into the week or weekend as well if that suited anyone.

Could meet up at Hull, rendezvous on a Belgian motorway or any other agreed point on the compass if you happen to be coming across the Channel from the southern tropics of England.
It’s only an outline plan and I don’t think I’ll have time enough to punch any more than one or two routes into the Garmin before it’s time to leave. But that works OK for me.
Sound good to anyone else?

Bumpity bump

Nae Late swithereers???
Ferry now booked and hotel sorted :thumb2
It's no bother really, just head for Italy and have a few beveridges on the way. S'easy?

If you're on the ferry then I'll se ya there:)

Arch

Back
Top Bottom