Guidance on a Welder...

Kahuna

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

Done a bit of welding in the past (gas welding and brazing and some stick / mig) but long time ago. Was under guidance then but never really understood what was best for which job.

Now I want to get something for the garage that will do for all my needs including:

Making brackets for panniers, welding tube for frames, bike frame repair, welding sheet metal - ie. car body panels, tank repair, possibly even some aluminium or stainless too (though prolly need different kit for that).

Q: What type of kit do I need?
Q: What size should I be looking at?
Q: Anything available with the versatility for all the above?

Hoping for something with simple set-up requirements - and without the need for gas bottles!

Feedback appreciated.

I too would be interested to find out some more so if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Cheers Tom

nomorenails-interior-ss-ultra-instant.jpg

Hi Folks.

Done a bit of welding in the past (gas welding and brazing and some stick / mig) but long time ago. Was under guidance then but never really understood what was best for which job.

Now I want to get something for the garage that will do for all my needs including:

Making brackets for panniers, welding tube for frames, bike frame repair, welding sheet metal - ie. car body panels, tank repair, possibly even some aluminium or stainless too (though prolly need different kit for that).

Q: What type of kit do I need?
Q: What size should I be looking at?
Q: Anything available with the versatility for all the above?

Hoping for something with simple set-up requirements - and without the need for gas bottles!

Feedback appreciated.

People like you REALLY scare me!!!!! :eek: :eek

thats the same set up i have kicking about in my garage. Its pretty small so easy to keep on a shelf, a small fire extinguisher sized co2 bottle and a couple of different reels of wire for welding ally.

Nice and cheap and good enough for the job with a bit of practice:thumb2

dont use the gassless migs, they are crap,
if you want stick, try a pico, or similar, 120a
very small, compact, and better than most, size of a large handbag, these will weld consistently at low amps when needed, and some, like mine will convert to tig, all be it on a live torch system,
get a turbo version of either mig or stick (cooling fan fitted)

dont use the gassless migs, they are crap,
if you want stick, try a pico, or similar, 120a
very small, compact, and better than most, size of a large handbag, these will weld consistently at low amps when needed, and some, like mine will convert to tig, all be it on a live torch system,
get a turbo version of either mig or stick (cooling fan fitted)

I've been using a gasless turbo MIG for a few years now mainly because I thought it would be easier to weld if it was windy, but that may have been a fallacy...

I haven't gone over to gas with the MIG yet because for the amount of welding I do nowadays, it's not going to be worth my while to buy the extra gear (regulator etc). I used to be not too bad with oxyacetylene gear but that was when I could work in large stonebuilt farm buildings. Now I only have a wooden garage... :tears

crap is probably a wrong word,
gas migs are better i find, give a more consistant weld,
i am more of an industrial welder than a hobbyist,
the last non gas one i used was not too good on thin stuff, ie petrol tanks etc, the gas helps cool things

135 amp migs are good but if you want to weld heavy you will need to run multipasses

Get a 165 amp off an auction site or from a trade auction

I'll not bore you with Duty Cycle but I use a 165 amp and it does everything I need Chassis Tube frames pannier rails etc etc

I also found an outfit up in town that sell you a gas bottle for £50 (about 3 foot tall) and about 10 quid a refill you just need an oxygen regulator converted for it!

Plus if you have a fire you just knock the hose off the regulator and point it :aidan:aidan:aidan

I find that power tools of any sort allow you fark up more material faster than any other form of DIY/ minor shed based engineering projects... I would suggest if your not sure find a local engineering firm and bung'em a few nelson's jobs done....:thumb2

less pain all round

or use blu tack and gaffa tape

:D

All I ever did with my MIG was set fire to the shed.... :blast

My advice is......

Try your local college or training centre to see if they hold training course in basic welding priciples.
Go have a try of all the different processes, and get a little insight to what occurs during the different processes.
Once you know some basics, the jargon used in the various adverts of plant/equipment will make a little more sense.

The amount you spend on plant can be endless, but for £500 you should get a decent mig set for diy garage jobs. 120/130 amp with fan cooling. There secondhand sets for sale from time to time at bargain prices.
Argon bottles size 'X' are 3 foot tall, and size 'W' are 5 foot tall are available to rent from local gas oulets, eg, BOC or Air Products. The small 12" bottles last no time at all and although easy purchased can get expensive if your ploughing through them.
What gas blend you require will depend on what your sticking together. Booklets are available from the gas sales outlets.

Make sure you have all the safety equipment too, screen, goggles, fire blanket, fire extinguishers, etc. It can soon go tits-up and accidents do happen, especially to novices. Please be carefull.......:eek

Timpo.
Timpo.

timps advice is very good i personally can do stick ,mig (all materials) (all wires which are astoundingly numerous) tig.brazing, silver solder bla bla all types of welding i would say it is some time well spent to get a bit of heads up as none of these things are that difficult to do and a wee bit o tuition can shorten the learning process hugely. And its always handy to have a wee bit extra knowlege n tech stuff

Back
Top Bottom