strange missfires and very random times

willbird

hi to all ,havent been on for a while, have been having some strange missfires at random revs and at random times,hp2 enduro 900 miles has been in a very minor fall (smashed clocks) so i re placed them with gs1200r ones 2006 (same year ) all works well got, fuel gauge,rev counter and everything else,they worked without having to re-program them .was wondering if the problem may stem from them?.....or is it something else.......top gear missfire is most common under rapid throttle twist (if i roll it back it clears and will pull through the splutter) it does feel like a fueling starvation but it does it so randomly i carnt see that beeing it,its also all over the rev range??????

any advice would be helpful

will

have you got a std end can? also sounds a little like your fuel pump relay might be on its way out

A faulty coil? (usually manifests itself when engine under load).

have standard can on ,bikes only done 900 miles so dont think the coil would be breaking down (will check it ) no idea what a t** is but will look into that .fuel pump relay sounds like a good one to have a look at , it does feel like its running out of petrol....thanks to you all .....will go and have a look now........

you maybe right ,on the second switch so far , will look into that. thought bmw had sorted that out ,they re-place the side stand switch 4 months ago.did try the joining the white and broun wires to buy pass the problem but it didnt work so had no option than to take it to main dealer,they re-placed the switch.

I second that, its the side stand switch.
Did BMW replace it with the steel bracket?
If they didnt, ask them why not?

Also had similar symptoms when the side stand switch went. I would look at getting woodys replacement bracket - very strong and gives a better angle too. I would also consider removing the switch all together.

Hi Will I had a problem similar to what you describe and it turned out to be as simple as faulty plugs.There was approx 8200km on them and were changed under warranty.If you have got sorted since let us know what it was????? ....:thumb2

good call with the plugs ,could do with a service.all seams ok at the moment , miss fire has gone.... but i know it will be back.....it ran great after the side stand switch was changed for two months,,.......then it comes and goes..........i think woodys metal side stand bracket may be the next thing to try........how do i get hold of him????????

Mine did a bit of missfiring and it was the sidestand switch aswell, if you stopped and kicked the stand up and down a few times it ran ok

FP.:thumb

been to kirby lonsdale today ,no miss fire on the way up,but on the way home it started again!!!!! got to skipton high st ,stopped for chat and bike wouldnt start,nothing banged the side stand up and down and it decided to fire up???????its had a new side stand switch from bmw ...why o why has it started playing up again??????? new bracket????? have tried joining the wires together as someone has told me to try but it didnt work...(broun and white).woodys bracket may be the key ,how do i get hold of him???? thanks to all the help ,,,helps...will

have tried joining the wires together as someone has told me to try but it didnt work...(brown and white).
Do you mean the bike didn't run, or that it didn't cure the misfire?

it ran on the way up fine,on the way back it started the miss fire again,then wouldent start at all ,fiddled with the side stand and it started????

it ran on the way up fine,on the way back it started the miss fire again,then wouldent start at all ,fiddled with the side stand and it started????

If you joined the wires already, how would fiddling with the side stand make any difference? The symptoms do sound exactly like the switch failing...

On mine, I cut the switch out all together, putting the brown and white wires together.

sorry ,when i joined the wires together the bike wouldnt start,it turned over and the clocks work etc

sorry ,when i joined the wires together the bike wouldnt start,it turned over and the clocks work etc

Just the brown and white? Not the third wire... right?

That being said, my understanding is that when the bike thinks the stand is down, it won't even turn over.

yes just the broun and white ones,will try again.when i couldnt fix it last time,bmw put a new side stand switch which was great for 2 months but its started playing up again......will try joining the wires together again....and by pass the switch......

Back
Top Bottom