Corsican Daves' Scottish Soiree & Andy Meltons' Mid-Wales Meltingpot Part 1

Henry Mawson

Reaction score
What a great two weeks.
First up to Kinlochleven to do the West Highland way and a very kind offer from Corsican Dave for somewhere to rest my weary head. Then to Llanwrtyd Wells for a weekends boogieing around Wales
Good Friday was the ride up to Kinlochleven and all in all was very pleasant indeed. Damp in places but nothing to serious, and more importantly no unwashed masses clogging up the motorway. I still look in awe riding over Rannock Moor and into Glencoe. I'm not particularly a spiritual man but that view!! Next morning it was off to Ardnamurchan Point to amuse myself as Dave had to earn his living. Absolutely fantastic roads with (for the most part) the most courtious car drivers you will find in this country. Real 3-dimensional motorcycling i.e. bendy bendy upy downy.
Next day Dave and myself ventured up onto the West Highland Way to ride the Kinlochleven to Ft William bit. It was a total blast. Most of the ride was well within capabilities but there were a few places that commanded a bit of respect, one of which caught Dave out and brought him down. Obviously nothing to serious as he had the GS back on its wheels before i had a chance to get my camera out.

Attachments

• 0025.jpg
    0025.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 165
Henry, did the Ardnamurchan run last Thursday in an Espace with the weans off on holiday from school. The last 19 miles from Salen are just incredible. Absolutely fabulous, and am a bit jealous that I didn't get to do it on the bike - but I think I might have lost it a few times with the speed that some of the locals deal with the road, although their brakes seem to work incredibly well.

Stayed at Caolsnachoan bit the kids were not interested in the Ice Factor, so did not make a call into see Corsican Dave. I'm glad you had some good weather, we arrived on Easter Monday, and it rained through the evening, into the morning and continued in different drenching powers throughout Tuesday and for quite a bit of Wednesday. Thursday was glorious - so glorious that we saw through binoculars the tops of the Cuillins from Mallaig - at least I think it was them.

Will be back up at the start of May for the Pre-65's and some of the SSDT, staying in the same caravan park on the south side of Loch Leven.
Glad you had a good time up here henry.

yep, a pretty good ride! would be possible to do this at some speed, but not sure if walkers would be quite so friendly...

we're having a gs club meet on saturday 8th may at the ice factor, so hope to see people there. i propose to lead a small group along the same route to fort william in the afternoon, catching up with the scottish six day trial finish/awards when we arrive. get your knobblies on!

keep an eye on andycam's scotland rideouts posts for further info.

all the best!

d:gringo

Back
Top Bottom