Desret Rose Acadamy - near Hastings - report

bodge it

Reaction score
Just got back from the one day 690 KTM try out day at Desert Rose Acadamy near Battle.

I live in Woking so its nearer than Wales. I've done the 2 day BMW course in Wales and fancied a go. The land they have available is very similar to the BMW Wales area.

Riding any bike off road is going to improve your skills (I maybe the only exception).

Anyway I cannot speak too highly of the day out. I had a fantastic time, its was like going for a day out with your mates, but with true proffessionals.

There were only four of us with two instructors. They said at the beginning that it was not a lesson but a ride to try out a KTM 690. But they just can't help themselves, helping you.

Learnt loads and had a really good day out. Patsy said "Try not to damage the bikes too much" ,,,,,, well.

If you've been half thinking about it, then my advice is do it.

Actually the KTM wasn't bad either.

Attachments

• 0911.jpg
    0911.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 675
  • 0921.jpg
    0921.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 674
  • 0931.jpg
    0931.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 670
  • 0941.jpg
    0941.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 684
  • 0951.jpg
    0951.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 675
Seconded

Our daughter did a one day taster course on a 450. Firstly, they were glad to take a person as young as 19 on to the course, even though it was her first time on a bike bigger than a 125. Seconfd Patsy arranged for the bike to taken to the site as Hannah still had a couple of weeks before she could ride the bike on the road legally. Finally, Patsy picked her up from Robertsbridge station before the course and put her back on a train after it.

Hannah had a great day and learnt loads. She may well have caught the bug. She would certainly like to do more of the same. All very impressive. Hope more people use the Rose Academy. They are certainly working hard enough to deserve success. :beerjug::beerjug:

I'm doing a day in the dirt in October at Abercrave:bounce1:bounce1, however, my next training sessionmay well be in hasting on KTM (My God what am I saying:eek:)

Regards,

Path.

Had a taster last Friday excellent day despite the weather which made things interesting:clap
Would highly recommend an outing here,a lot less corporate and very relaxed smaller groups so more riding as theres less hanging around.
The 400 KTM was brilliant very capable with a twat on board:bow
The kit was excellent the bikes top-notch wether if it gets too popular [Its in this months Ride Mag] it will lose that relaxed friendly atmosphere who knows.
If they manage to be busy but still keep the class sizes small there be onto a winner,I certainly will go back for the 2 day course and try the 690 next.
ian

Have just booked myself for 2 days on the G450X in Wales, Desert Rose don't have any dates for 2010 up yet, but I've contacted them to ask, if I hear anything I'll post it here.

Jolyon

Giving it a try....

Have just booked myself and my lady onto a one day level one course on Saturday 29th. We ride F800GSs but have no previous offroad skills, and live in the SE, so reckoned a day on a lightweight bike might be a good idea before doing the BMW ORS course on heavier bikes. Will post some feedback after the course.

Initial impressions very good, prompt reply from Patsy, easy online booking :)

I did it last year, not long after they launched - linky

its an excellent day and a nicer pair of instructors I think you'd find hard to beat. The 690 try out day isnt really an offroad insturction course, but they are more than happy to help out and give you pointers. I'd fully recommend them!

Ewan you and you're misses should be in for a great day!

Desert Rose Stage 1

So, myself and my fiancee Sarah did the Stage 1 course with Desert Rose on Saturday. What a fantastic course!

The day was based at their site near Broad Oak. 14 of us on the course, two instructors - Patsy and Zippy. About half the course on KTM 690s, half on KTM 400s. The instructors were not precious about the bikes at all, which really took the stress off - nobody ever felt dumb for dropping the bike, which happened plenty.

The whole day was run in a very informal, relaxed way, but good relaxed - not disorganised relaxed. There was good structure and progression to the exercises, and everything was very well explained, executed and debriefed.

After a welcome cuppa, getting kitted up (all good gear), shown the bikes, and briefed on the day we started riding round a field, getting a feel for the bikes, riding standing up, the positions of the controls etc. After a couple of basic exercises, we were split into the 'Cappuccino' group for those who didn't want too stressful a day, and the 'Espresso' group for those who wanted a faster pace. I was in the Espresso group (taught by Zippy) and Sarah in the Cappuccino group (taught by Patsy). We both did pretty much the same stuff during the course of the day, but the Espresso group just pushed each exercise a little further.

Before we arrived, neither of us had done any off road riding, and were expecting that with one day of training we'd be riding round a field, wide dirt tracks, fire trails etc. Not a bit of it! By the afternoon (which provided rain to turn the tracks into mud for extra fun!) we were doing pretty steep ascents and decents on narrow, muddy forest tracks, riding obstacles, off camber tracks, negotiating all sorts of stuff and were successfully, and surprisingly confidently, completing bike control exercises I wouldn't have expected to be capable of at the start of the day. :clap

Sarah is 5'6" and has her GS lowered, :comfort so was very nervous about riding the KTM with it's towering seat height, but under Patsy's watchful eye she soon got the hang of it, and now feels more confident riding her F800, which is great.

All of this was taught in a very professional and friendly way, we each got the day with a different instructor and rated both of them very highly.

We finished the course feeling that we had been stretched and tested, but much more capable and confident, having had an absolute blast, and very happy with how we had progressed in just a few hours, thanks to Zippy and Patsy.

If you are thinking about the course, stop thinking and book it, you won't regret it. :thumb We'll be back for Stage 2 as soon as we can fit it in!

And the sandwiches were good too! :)

Another Endorsement !

Have just done Stage 1 with Desert Rose today at Ringwood and had a truly excellent time. Patsy and Zippy are really nice people and the atmosphere is a very friendly.

There were only four of us on today's course and we had a very enjoyable and instructive day. First time off-roading for me and I have to say I learnt loads and loads but am totally exhausted!!

Zippy's instruction style is just my cup of tea (laid back, clear and to the point with always an element of humour). If you're thinking of doing this course - don't (think that is!) - just DO IT.

Unfortunately I'm concerned that there is now a new outlet for a drain of financial funds - Oh well ...............!

Have just done Stage 1 with Desert Rose today at Ringwood and had a truly excellent time. Patsy and Zippy are really nice people and the atmosphere is a very friendly.

There were only four of us on today's course and we had a very enjoyable and instructive day. First time off-roading for me and I have to say I learnt loads and loads but am totally exhausted!!

Zippy's instruction style is just my cup of tea (laid back, clear and to the point with always an element of humour). If you're thinking of doing this course - don't (think that is!) - just DO IT.

Unfortunately I'm concerned that there is now a new outlet for a drain of financial funds - Oh well ...............!

I`d like to do it linky please :thumb

Link

Hi Bakerman

Here's the link to the website: www.adventureridingacademy.com/index.htm

Depending on experience, Stage 1 may of course simply teach many people what they already know (I'm a complete novice offroad) but the guys who were on the course with me were doing it for a second time and seemed to get a lot from it.

Cheers, Derek

Back
Top Bottom