zumo + canbus = flash

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i recently noticed that my 1200 was flashing it's lights shortly after turning off the ignition. at first i thought it was some kind of discharge from a faulty HID ballast, but on further investigation i found it is to do with my garmin 660 mount.

the mount is wired into the canbus satnav socket at the headstock and seems to work in the expected manner except as the canbus switches off power to the socket, it flashes the head and tail lights, but only if the actual zumo is not fitted, just with the empty mount in place. weird :eek

what's it trying to tell me? do they all do that? i've never heard of it before :confused:

bump

i take it my setup is unique in this behaviour then?

took it all apart today and am scratching my head very hard trying to understand what causes it. what i don't understand is how the canbus can tell that anything is attached to the satnav socket at all. there is no measurable resistance between the + and - wires to the zumo mount. maybe there's some solid state stuff in there?? i'm very :confused: and hate a puzzle.

Hi Cookie,
never had a 1200, but applying some logic to the question if I may ?
Maybe the Canbus is sensing that there is something connected , as opposed to a total "open circuit" which would measure as infinite resistance ? A very low resistance, say around a few ohms might be seen as a short short circuit. Not too hot on ohms law and resistance and current draw, but there are those folk on here who have infinite wisdom on these obscure matters:eek:

Not really much help , but the Canbus does work as a sort of LAN setup as far as I understand it.
On my 1150, I used to use the front 12v socket to charge my 'phone, and if it was left plugged in , say whilst stopped or refueling, it would bleep until ignition switched on again, so your flashing is just a more sophisticated version, for the more sophisticated 1200 owner, sir :D

Hi Cookie,
never had a 1200, but applying some logic to the question if I may ?
Maybe the Canbus is sensing that there is something connected , as opposed to a total "open circuit" which would measure as infinite resistance ? A very low resistance, say around a few ohms might be seen as a short short circuit. Not too hot on ohms law and resistance and current draw, but there are those folk on here who have infinite wisdom on these obscure matters:eek:

Not really much help , but the Canbus does work as a sort of LAN setup as far as I understand it.
On my 1150, I used to use the front 12v socket to charge my 'phone, and if it was left plugged in , say whilst stopped or refueling, it would bleep until ignition switched on again, so your flashing is just a more sophisticated version, for the more sophisticated 1200 owner, sir :D

broadly in line with what i think is happening. it can't be completely open circuit. as that causes no flash. therefore there must be some circuitry in the mount that triggers something in the canbus.

so the odd thing is, why don't they all do this? i need another mount to try.

Hi Cookie

I have not experimented that issue on mine. Same setup:thumb than yours. I do not have anything else plugged into the canbus or battery. Battery is an Odissey and mine has original alarm fitted but i do not used it. No HID on mine.
Not very helpful, sorry.

Regards

Oscar.

Hi Cookie

I have a 660 which is connected to the aux socket under the seat, but my lights seem to do the oppisite, they only flash when the power is switched of with the sat nav in the cradle, I thought that the aux socket is not part of the canbus system. Sorry that this does not answer your question, but you are not the only one with this quirk

You are not alone.....

Mine (also HID with 660 wired into the dedicated spur behind the headstock) flashes from time to time when I turn the ignition off. I thought I was imagining it. i can't remember if it's when the device is in its cradle or not, though.

update

so CW have looked at it, have never seen the behaviour before, and found no fault code left on the ECU. the mount was declared as faulty.

garmin, told of the above, have kindly sent me a new mount which behaves exactly as the original :blast

bugger!

I had a look at mine again over the weekend.

No 660 in cradle.

Turn on ignition.

Don't start engine.

Park light only alight.

Turn off ignition.

About 40 seconds later both dip and mainbeam HID's flash, with a clear 'click' noise, like that of a relay snapping.

Happens every time.

Should have tried it with engine started, too, and with / without device in cradle... but forgot :blast

sounds very like mine.

my lights flash at exactly 1 minute, which is the moment the canbus shuts down (i tested it).
never heard the relay, but my hearing's not what it was :rolleyes:

thanks for the info :)

In the interests of science I have been busy in the lab.

(1) Ignition on, no 660 in cradle, ignition off. Lights flash - see film (breezy here by the Thames) flash at about 1:03

<object width="425" height="318" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NjkwODU4NjUzJms9RnRoTnomYT00NDY5OTU1X0N1R1h2JnU9V2FwcGluZw==" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjkwODU4NjUzJms9RnRoTnomYT00NDY5OTU1X0N1R1h2JnU9V2FwcGluZw==" width="425" height="318" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

(2) Ignition on, 660 in cradle, ignition off. Leave 660 in cradle. Lights do not flash, or at least do not seem to.

(3) Ignition on, 660 in cradle, ignition off. Leave 660 in cradle for, say two minutes then remove. Lights flash (see 1 above)

(4) Ignition on, no 660 in cradle, engine fired up, ignition off. Lights flash (see 1 above)

(5) Ignition on, 660 in cradle, engine fired up, ignition off. Leave 660 in cradle. Lights do not flash.

(6) Ignition on, 660 in cradle, engine fired up, ignition off. Leave 660 in cradle, for say two minutes. Remove 660. Lights flash. (See 3 and 1 above).

Clearly the presence or absence of the 660 in its cradle dictates whether or not the lights flash after the ignition is turned off. Why :nenau

mr wapping, you have been busy. i'm impressed :)

i tried mine with the HID disconnected as a first step some time ago. it made no difference, it still flashed with just the cradle.
in the interests of scientific rigour, i admit i only disconnected the low beam. if it's actually the high that flashes, then my test is somewhat invalid.

here's my, ahem, current theory: it depends what software you have in the ECU. absolutely no evidence to back it up, but it's the only thing i can think of :rolleyes:

currently waiting on word from bmw as to what the flashing may mean, if anything. if i don't get an answer (probable), i will be wiring my new flashing cradle across the battery.

Both HID lights (dip and main beam) flash. Not sure about the side light... dazzled! :D

It is odd, as to activate the dip and main beam, the ignition has to be on and the engine running. Here. the engine and ignition are both off... so electrikery is leaking out (or in) somehow...

The answer, surely, lies in:

(a) What triggeres the HID's ballast boxes to charge?

(b) What causes them to suddenly discharge?

Do 'normal' lights on bikes with a 660 wired off the spur do the same thing?

Both HID lights (dip and main beam) flash. Not sure about the side light... dazzled! :D

so it looks like it needs testing with both HIDs disconnected then. i only disconnected the dip as i assumed no connection to the main as the switch was on dip. of course where canbus is concerned, that may well not be the case.

Back
Top Bottom