BMW Service Toolkit

WindyChuffer

Reaction score
I see that BMW do a natty looking service toolkit for the X Challenge. On the face of it, seems pricey at £99 but I don't know what it contains. Anyone know what's in it? Had a google through the web but not found anything...

Back when I had my second <blush> F650CS it came without any tools as did a number of BMWs at the time. BMW claimed that current owners just needed a phone and recovery service not tools. Shame that the handbook gave user maintenance instructions that needed tools that weren't supplied!

Anyway, lots of people complained and sure enough toolkits were supplied FOC.

I suspect these are the sort of standard that would be priced at £99. Definitely not worth more than a tenner IMHO. You got a PVC roll, three or four torx keys, a double ended screw driver, a fuse puller, and a plug spanner.

If you look on F650.co.uk you will find photos of the contents FWIW.

Unless I'm mistaken I'd say hang on to your money and if you feel the urge to carry some tools, put a set together yourself.

Cheers
Barry

G650X and F650CS are v different bikes...

The G650X additional service toolkit is quite comprehensive (so i am led to believe), but am after details on the contents...

Ah, so they're different. After 3xF650CS, 1xF650GS and a G650Xco, I hadn't spotted that.:augie

Take a look here at 71:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/MainDiagrams.asp?mospid=50562

There seem to be two kits available. Judging by the dollar price I suspect the £99 is the 'service' one, but either way there's a clue to what's in them. Looks like the basic tool roll that I was refering to is much cheaper. Very unlike BMW eh?

Barry

I see that BMW do a natty looking service toolkit for the X Challenge. On the face of it, seems pricey at £99 but I don't know what it contains. Anyone know what's in it? Had a google through the web but not found anything...

I've one and would have gone to the new owner if I'd sold it...

It was an impluse buy @£80 apparently it's all you need even for a long trip, I've used it a couple of times and it does seem well thought out.

I'm not near it so i can't tell you what's in it...

THe fiche that Barry provided the link seems to do the job.

Looks natty, but not sure the contents are worth the ~£100. QUite like the crow-foot spanners (if thats the right term for them), but can live without the torch and already have the screwsdriver/torx bits in my own toolkit.

Biggest bug bear for me with the bike so far is that:
- the tool kit that comes with the bike doesnt come with a 26mm spanner to take the wheels off. Got the knobblies waiting to to on but can't fit 'em. Grrr. A 26mm spanner from Amazon is on the way...
- 26mm seems a v odd size and non standard in off road bike terms. My socket set has 27mm, but no 26. Combo tyre levers / wheel spanner are 27mm not 26mm. so reckon I'll change the nuts to KTM 27mm ones as per another thread in this G650X section. As per this thread: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2045550&postcount=16

FWIW I got my 26mm socket at a local agricultural engineers supplies, KM Farm Parts. I get lots of tools there. Worth checking locally if you have a similar outlet if you need one.

Barry

Does anyone know if the service toolkit fits nicely under the seat or is it more of a rack bag item ??

cheers

Try these 27mm KTM axle nuts on your XChallenge, work well with my KTM toolkit

About £4 each and also stop the crud and shit going up the centre of the axle too

Attachments

• Wheelnut.jpg
    Wheelnut.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 285
Didnt take long to get back on the 27mm KTM nut solution again...

...we did this a while back and they are a different thread pitch. Use them at the risk of stripping threads ! And that won't happen at home will it...

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186976

See posts 22 & 24.

I've read all that and after reading others on AdvRider that had successes using the KTM solution, I would give it a go and see what happens.:D

If it breaks, it breaks:blast

I screwed them on lightly by hand and all seemed well and they torqued up ok

Lets just hope you dont strip the threads in the middle of nowhere in the pissing rain and freezing cold tired at the end of the day when its getting dark !

Lets just hope you dont strip the threads in the middle of nowhere in the pissing rain and freezing cold tired at the end of the day when its getting dark !

If I do......................there's always the BMW Assistance Card :augie

Did you ever get around to the Kwacker option, then??

...assuming you are a reasonable walk / push to a road.

One of the guys who did the HUMM last year had a long walk to the nearest road - 4 miles I think - to phone for help. No mobile phone signal. There was no way he was going to be able to push his 1150 to the road, so had to organise a 4WD pick up ! Not sure if BMW Assist would cover that - don't they require you to be on a public road?

Food for thought.

Anywayz - no I never got round to the Kwacker option. I phoned up the Reading dealer and he was most unhelpful...

The way I read it..... finally .... was that the threads were the same pitch after all and that the BMW reprom was wrong.... 1.5 not 1.25.

Alcanara:blast

Back
Top Bottom