Officially signing in to XC land

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid218.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/Rushy_02/Misc%20Vids/GStoXC_2.flv">

I brought an XC home a couple of weeks ago but the arrival of baby Phoebe has pretty much prevented me from getting round to riding it much, modifying it or even posting any piccies on here. She is an 07 1600 miler that’s mostly road miles & has really only done some very light occasional laning. Its pretty much unmarked apart from some slight scuffing on the rad shroud graphics on 1 side and a couple of small dings on the can. She’s still on the saharas. I bought her off a fellow tosser. Thanks Martin ……still can’t believe you were daft enough to let me take her home without having actually paid for her. :thumb

I sold the DRZ-E and my 1150GS, a trusted 6.5yr companion that never let me down , to save a bit of dosh ( did I mention the baby ) and downsize to the X Challenge. I wanted something smaller for green laning but still capable of the occasional weekend away, GSer events and trips up to the Lakes or into North Wales. I don’t expect to get much more biking than that in for the next couple of years ( did I mention the baby;) ) so I’m hoping the XC will do me just fine.

The relationship didn’t start too well though.:(

My first ride was supposed to be an early evening spin round some local B roads to a pub to meet Lou for a bite to eat. It was a really lovely evening but I got as far as the petrol station 500 yrds away, filled up, and when I came out it just bloody refused to start , I killed the battery trying and ended up pushing it home. :mad:

The second ride was a short, wet,windy & dark night time ride up the M6, not the XCs natural habitat. I felt a lot more vulnerable mixing it with the lorries and reps in the dark than I did on the 1150. At least when I set off home again she fired up first time.:p

Then the 3rd ride last week on a beautiful sunny morning I decided to take the bike to work 20 miles away. 5 miles from work I stopped at a petrol station to pick up a can of Red Bull ( did I mention the bloody baby ) , came outside and the bike refused to start again….nothing would coax it into life, not even bumping it and another biker insisted on helping and killed the batt’ . A guy on a matt black rat CX500 and his mate on an R1 eventually came to my rescue by popping home and getting some tools and jump leads. I arrived at work 1hr 45 mins late.:mad::mad:

At 5pm in the evening, with no way of charging the battery, I was surprised that she started again on the button.:nenau

Thoroughly pissed off I rang Paul Newman at Chester Motorrad the next day and I asked if he could get me in any sooner to have the batt’ recall done. Ever helpful he managed to squeeze me in the next day (last Saturday,) despite a 2 week back log in the service dept’, and touch wood the problem seems to have been cured . I stopped several times on the way home and she seems to be starting fine now with 14 to 14.3 volts showing all the time.:clap

The bike is bog stock except for one tooth lower on the front. I have a few mods planned for the bike and I have been collecting some parts / bling over the past few months. Most of them have been covered on here or advrider before but I’ll be adding to this thread with a few piccies and info’ on parts etc over the next few days / weeks anyway. There is some goods stuff that I managed to pick up from the US at way below TT prices.

Hope to see some of you other XCers out and about soon .:bounce1

Ian :thumb2

XC So far

I’ve bought a few bits from Jeff in spares at Chester Motorrad/HD . Jeff was really helpful even though he’s much more used to H-D parts and he sorted me out with some good pricing too. Big thumbs up for the guys there, give 'em a call:thumb2
I now have a large box without about 7 smaller boxes inside it which contain a rear rack and fitting kit, the BMW handguards, handguards spoilers, right frame guard kit and 2 new spare rad’ panels.

XChallengeMods_4772.jpg

I hope to get a few changes done in the next week or so but to give you an idea what else I have to fit it looks like this;

Large aluminium bash plate courtesy of US ADVrider inmate AndrewGore. His plate is normally solid but I asked Andrew to drill holes as per the standard/TT plates and he was happy to oblige.
XChallengeMods_4766.jpg

In the shot below you can see the Fender delete also from AndrewGore
Andrew is a great guy to talk to. Both of these products are very well made and come with all the fittings and well written instructions with clear photos. Proper job:bow
XChallengeMods_4765_edited-1.jpg

I have these chassis hardparts from US ADV rider MTdewX8 (John) who mailed them right to my door for the measly sum of $30.00, although I will need to get them powder coated before fitting. These protect the vulnerable areas around the sidestand and rear brake pedal.
XChallengeMods_4769_edited-1.jpg

A screen extension from UK ADV inmate Jester has just arrived . For scale it is sitting on a jiffy bag that’s just above A4 size.

XChallengeMods_4780_edited-1.jpg

I also a have pelicase that I bought used from a fellow tosser and a rather large bit of bling that comes in about 9 pieces that I also got from the US but that’s a secret for now. :augie

Other mods to do;
Ram mount and electrics for my 2610.
Alternative gear lever due to the well known problem of the original potentially breaking it’s shaft in a fall.
Smaller number plate
Solve the front mudguard problem ( sprays you with shit when it rains)

Wish list when funds allow ;

Leo Vince exhaust to save some weight and to help it sound like a proper thumper .
Renazco seat for the extra comfort and bling factor – if I can ever afford it, although so far the standard seat is fine for 40 miles non –stop in the saddle which is the furthest I’ve ridden .

:thumb2

Wish list when funds allow ;

Renazco seat for the extra comfort and bling factor – if I can ever afford it, although so far the standard seat is fine for 40 miles non –stop in the saddle which is the furthest I’ve ridden .

:thumb2

have you concidered a Rayz seat? a dutch guy that makes brillant seats everyone over here raves about. Colebatch has one on his XC..

http://rayz.nl/

glad to see you've come out Rushy:augie

Saw your other thread on cat'nfiddle and thought feck me, those Xc's are sure fast:eek:

Looking forward to seeing postings following the blingfest:thumb

have you concidered a Rayz seat? a dutch guy that makes brillant seats everyone over here raves about. Colebatch has one on his XC..

http://rayz.nl/

Thanks for the link Steve. I did email him sometime ago asking for a price etc but unfortunately he never got back to me. I love the way the Renazco looks too but the cost is a bit prohibitive:(

glad to see you've come out Rushy:augie

Saw your other thread on cat'nfiddle and thought feck me, those Xc's are sure fast:eek:

Looking forward to seeing postings following the blingfest:thumb

Cheers Martin.. I came out briefly a couple of weeks ago in another thread:thumb

So far all I’ve managed to do is fit the standard BMW rack. Nice and easy to do and cheaper than the small Touratwat rack with advantage that it has proper handholds to grasp when moving the bike around or pulling / pushing it gets stuck .

A few months ago I picked up a Pelicase 1450 off another tosser on here Diversion74 . Thanks Andy:thumb

I put a steel rule in shot so you can see the size
XChallengeMods_4773.jpg

I fitted the BMW rack, you need to remove the silencer to fit it. Undo the exhaust clamp and the rear mounting bolt 2 min job. Fit using the separate fitting kit that you have to order when buying the rack. Once the rack was fitted I removed the aluminium top plate you can see in this shot because I wont be leaving it on.

XChallengeMods_4774.jpg

I bought three new M5 x 25mm bolts (twice as long as the originals) and 3 x medium sized metal washers, 3 x thin rubber washer of the same size and 3 x standard rubber tap washers that are about 6 mm thick and have an M5 sized hole in them. I will change the bolts in future as they have a posidrive head and I really wanted allen key. Sorry the shots a bit blurry. I put the ruler in again for size.

XChallengeMods_4777_edited-1.jpg

I then used the aluminium plate as a template to drill holes in the base of the case ;

XChallengeMods_4775.jpg

and used the combination of washers to rubber mount the case to the racks mounting points. The metal washer went inside the box with the thin rubber washers between it and the box and the large tap washers went underneath the box between the base & the rack. I wanted to keep the box/weight as far forward as possible BUT you have to be careful because if you bring it too far forward it may make it difficult to remove / fit the seat. The seat will come off easily but you need to angle the seat a lot when you refit it and this can be very difficult or even impossible if you mount the box too far forward. I wanted the box about an inch further forward and although its not obvious in the shots the seat just wouldn't have gone back on.

XChallengeMods_4779.jpg

XChallengeMods_4778.jpg

I will consider getting some stainless fittings to mount to the outside of the Pelicase so I could maybe strap a sleeping bag to the lid or possibly something to hold a couple of extra litres of fuel over the pillion area of the seat.

That’s it for now :thumb2

What is an XC?........:augie

:hide

Timpo.

ps. Any chance of a pic with the Jester Screen offered up to the bike Rushy?:thumb2

Whats an XC ?........its a bit like a 450X only better ! :p

I haven't fitted it yet Timpo ( by that I mean stuck it on with the velcro provided;) ) because I actually asked him for a white one and he sent me a black one by mistake. :(

I may keep it and get a white one as well. I bought it on Johnnyb's recommendation and for £15 its a no brainer really.

:thumb

So far all I’ve managed to do is fit the standard BMW rack. Nice and easy to do and cheaper than the small Touratwat rack with advantage that it has proper handholds to grasp when moving the bike around or pulling / pushing it gets stuck .

You make a v good point about the handrails on the rack to make pushing / pulling the bike alot easier than with the TT rack.

Was going to get the large TT rack.

But think I'll get the BMW one now; so thx for the head up !

I haven't fitted it yet Timpo ( by that I mean stuck it on with the velcro provided;) ) because I actually asked him for a white one and he sent me a black one by mistake. :(

I may keep it and get a white one as well. I bought it on Johnnyb's recommendation and for £15 its a no brainer really.

This screen is very good and cheap

I'm 6'2 and it makes 85mph on the m/way much improved

I tried an Airblade and hated it................this one is better and also looks the biz too:thumb

Whats an XC ?........its a bit like a 450X only better !

I'll second that. Don't get me started on the G450X...

I'll take it off your hands if you want (buy it). Was going to order one; not fussed about which colour and quite like the black.

Rushy, I got my XC home today, yep, as Possu said, 105 miles on the clock.....
It needs a rear rack and aly plate for sure. Trying to bounce the back end of the bike is difficult as there are no grab holes/handles. That rack set-up looks perfect, so can you please give me the BMW part numbers and I'll nip to see Jeff at CM tomorrow.......
And, the little screen looks good too......
Ferret is after some kit too, so we may save on postage for some kit.

Timpo.

Rushy, I got my XC home today, yep, as Possu said, 105 miles on the clock.....
It needs a rear rack and aly plate for sure. Trying to bounce the back end of the bike is difficult as there are no grab holes/handles. That rack set-up looks perfect, so can you please give me the BMW part numbers and I'll nip to see Jeff at CM tomorrow.......
And, the little screen looks good too......
Ferret is after some kit too, so we may save on postage for some kit.

Timpo.

Screen from The Jester on AdvRider (he's Cornish) and the screen is good for me (6'2)

Rack................I have the small TT one (about £60) and it's fine, small and compact with enough to grab hold if necessary

I'll have the black one off you if you go for the white one:thumb

Just picked up a XMoto seat for mine and a s/h chain guard (somehow mine got bust in the Peaks) off Ebay. There's a guy on Ebay breaking an XMoto at the mo if anyone needs any common parts.

Paul

I've picked up a TT tank for mine not sure if I should fit it... I don't need to keep it filled up so I'm not worried about the weight.

anybody ridden one with one fitted, how doe sthe extra size effect the riding

Back
Top Bottom