Output Oil Seal

BOB UK

Reaction score
Output Oil Seal
Help
After rebuilding my gearbox on my R100GS
I did the club weekend in Wales all went well on the trip but when I got home I had to remove the
Swinging arm to replace the rubber boot I found the arm was full of gearbox oil NOT GOOD
I replaced the output seal about 200 miles ago so whets going on any tips on this seal would be much appreciated I fitted it how it said in the Haynes Manual I used the output flange to shape the seal
But I must have done it wrong
Also is there anyone that can lend me the tool to remove the output flange or I will have to remove the gearbox to run it up to CWs to get the flange off
Imp off to cry in my Beer BO HOO HOO
:confused: :confused:

While you're at Wallys', get them to put the new seal in for you.

I had exactly the same problem after L&Cs rebuilt my box. Unfortunately they'd packed up their bike servicing before I discovered the leak. I took my box to Jim Cray and watched his patented seal replacement method. I promised not to divulge the secret.

this seems to be a rather common occurrence. i think you should spill the beans howard.

BOB UK said:
Output Oil Seal
Also is there anyone that can lend me the tool to remove the output flange or I will have to remove the gearbox to run it up to CWs to get the flange off

Bob I had a flange plate made that you need to bolt onto the flange and pull off with some pullers. I can post it to you and once you sorted just post it back. Think you would need to buy four longish bolts though.

PM me you details.

Cheers
:gringo

cookie said:
this seems to be a rather common occurrence. i think you should spill the beans howard.

No beans spilt. Just a lot of oil in the swingarm!:p

OK. You put the seal in a maleable plastic bag and sort of knead it into the right shape and size.
Jim has, of course, been doing it for years and knows when to stop kneading.
Actually, I haven't done very many miles since he did mine, so I don't really know if it's any good or not. So don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't work for you. :shoot:

Sorry Jim.:hide

BOB UK said:
Output Oil Seal
Help
After rebuilding my gearbox on my R100GS
I did the club weekend in Wales all went well on the trip but when I got home I had to remove the
Swinging arm to replace the rubber boot I found the arm was full of gearbox oil NOT GOOD
I replaced the output seal about 200 miles ago so whets going on any tips on this seal would be much appreciated I fitted it how it said in the Haynes Manual I used the output flange to shape the seal
But I must have done it wrong
did you block off the vent at the top of the seal with silicon? if not it will leak oil into the swingarm.Its the tiny little v shaped notch at the top of the casting

and make sure the vent hole in the battery earth bolt isn't blocked.

IT just gets better and better

Thanks for all the help chaps but I’m going to wimp out and run the whole gearbox to CWs tomorrow and get them to put the seal in for me this will be the first time for longer than I care to remember that iv had to give up on a simple job like replacing a seal and get someone else to do it for me but Iv come to the conclusion that BMWs are not the easiest things in the world to work on
Still with luck this will be the end of this problem and by the way is any one going to the Stella Alpina Rally this year ?

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Strip/6501/stella.html

Back
Top Bottom