Zumo 660 interferance noise

andy14049

Reaction score
Hi there,
After a little advice please, has anybody suffered with any engine interference noise after fitting the Zumo 660 to their bike?
I've fitted one to my 1200GSA and have a crackling noise when I listen direct from the Zumo through my ultimate ear plugs, which speeds up and down in sync to the engine rpm, any ideas much appreciated

Regards Andy :thumb2

It's Earth loop noise.

Buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-Ground-...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item56327280d2

You can get 'better' ones from the US (can't remember brand name at the moment) but they do suck a little power. i.e. the volume loses a decibel or 2, but unless you want your ears to bleed, that may not be such a bad thing.

I've used one for almost 4,000 miles now, and it does a good job.

:thumb2

No problems with sound on my 660 fitted to the 09 GSA.
Do you have it wired to the front accessories point (at rear of the oil cooler rad) with the Zumo power lead?

That’s probably the cause of the interference then.

You need one of these wires from your local BMW dealer etc.

IMG_0574.jpg

it will then connect your Garmin to the front accessories socket which provided especially for GPS units.
:thumb

Were do you run the wires from the cradle, mine go under the tank by the headstock and come up on the offside under the airfilter ducting, the mic and fm wire have been wrapped up and cable tied where the ABS system would fit. The 3.5mm Jack comes out just below the removable cover on the offside as well.

Regards Andy

I disconnected the power fitting on the left side beak and attached the zumo wires onto these wires (as you pointed out, that run just under the air intake).
IMG_2504.jpg

From here I cable tied the wires along the brake cable until they are in the beak area. Once here I attach them on other wires and around the inside of the beak until they end up in nice little pouch which I keep all my different leads in (which has multiple adaptors to connect anything I could ever want into my autocom which has its wires coming from the right side of the bike).

IMG_2500.jpg

I ran the big power feed cable along the brake line as you should be able to make out in the photo.
IMG_2498.jpg

It would have been neater to cut the zumo cables but incase I ever want to change the wiring or sell it on I felt it was important to keep them as they come... hence the use of cables ties and attaching to the other wires. All in all though its pretty tidy. It also means that with the zumo plugged into the autocom there are no more wires other than those stored in the pouch.

...or spend a fiver and save a heap of work :augie

It's Earth loop noise. Google it.

The BMW canbus connector pictured MAY stop the noise, but that probably costs more than a tank of fuel.

So long as you're happy with the installation, and you have a fused connection off the battery, you'll be fine with an isolator.

Weigh up the pros and cons of additional fettling and the exponential hassle associate with it.

I ride a KTM - what do I know? :D

Thanks for all your replys, I can't see anything wrong with the wiring I've done so I've ordered a earth loop eliminator thing from ebay, cheap as chips I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again for all your help

Andy

still buzzing

I've fitted that unit between my 660 and autocom active smart but still getting ground loop noise. Autocom is wired to switched live and earth to battery. zumo is both to battery. any thoughts?(about the problem, not my fazer) :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom