20 50 Mineral Oil

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm considering trying 20 50 mineral oil in my 1150. Unfortunately I'm having difficulty in finding any!

Can any one give me the name of a supplier in the Burnley/Blackburn area?

Cheers

Mike

Local motorfactors, Partco do me some 20/50 mineral 5 ltr £9.99, its in a unipart container but its fuchs oil.

Here you go>>>
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220346428700&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you buy more than 1 gallon, postage is only £1 per item extra :)

The original and the best....
I use it, always have and always will :):rob

And fine and dandy it is for the Airhead boxers.. but is not the correct spec for the Oil/Air cooled boxers from 93 onwards.

I'm not afraid to use unbranded oil on my pride and joy.. however I absolutely WILL NOT use an engine oil thats the incorrect spec. in the case of Castrol Classic.. its an API - SE - which as Castrol say is fine for engines PRE 1980. Thats an engine design thats at least 13 years Older than the Oldest 1100!!!

BMW give a minimum spec of SF or above. and there is a multitude of choices.. that are at least the Correct Specification.

I just serviced mine with the ASDA £6.00 stuff, ran very smooth/quiet
just rode 600 mls to wales.

Rock Oil Guardian 20w-50 Semi-synthetic

I've been using this for a few years now & find it really suits the GS(1150). It really seems to keep it's viscosity for the 6K interval. Recommended

Cheers...........................Grizzly:beer:

I've been using this for a few years now & find it really suits the GS(1150). It really seems to keep it's viscosity for the 6K interval. Recommended

Cheers...........................Grizzly:beer:

Thats the one :thumb2

Always used to use Rock Oil in my sportsbikes in the 90's but it seemd to become harder to find and went over to Castrol. The last 3 oil changes I did on the GS were done using Guardian . Still got a full can in the garage :thumb

+1 for local Partco get the oil at trade price- costs about £10 for five litres. SF spec, used it loads of times, got 50k+ on the clock now and it still sounds quiet.

I'm considering trying 20 50 mineral oil in my 1150. Unfortunately I'm having difficulty in finding any!

Can any one give me the name of a supplier in the Burnley/Blackburn area?

Cheers

Mike

Why?

It's an engine designed for more modern semi-synthetic oils, I can understand the argument for low detergent mineral oils for 20 year old Airheads with unknown history, but in an Oilhead? Reckon you're better sticking with what's recommended.

Why?

It's an engine designed for more modern semi-synthetic oils

No it's not - it's an engine designed for the correct grade and specification of oil, just like any other engine. Mineral oil of the correct grade is fine for a low-stressed engine with 6k mil service intervals - it doesn't need semi-synth or fully-synth but if that's what you want to put in then fine.

Oh I do like a good oil thread, especially at this time of the year when the nights are closing in, most of the events are all but a distant memory and the ride reports start to dry up .
:clap

Bump :D

:rob:rob:rob

Many thanks all.

I've just discovered there is a PartCo in Colne, about 5 miles away from me:eek:onyack that stock the said stuff. :thumb2

Thanks again.

Mike

Why?

It's an engine designed for more modern semi-synthetic oils, I can understand the argument for low detergent mineral oils for 20 year old Airheads with unknown history, but in an Oilhead? Reckon you're better sticking with what's recommended.

actually looking at what's recommended might be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom