LE MANS

bardicastle

Reaction score
Going on trip next year to le mans i would appreciate any interesting WW1 WW2 sites to visit while i'm there :thumb

Hi, I lived in Le Mans for the last two years, I have just moved back to the UK.
I don't remember seeing one WW1 or WW2 site of interest or museum in or around the town although I think that the Germans had their air force headquarters there. Just down the road in Tours Winston Churchill used to fly into the airport which is now served by Ryanair.
As you probably already know there are alot of museums and sites just 90 miles up the road in Caen and surrounding areas, Brittany ferries run a service from Portsmouth.

vaucelles_july20.jpg

In short, very little.

The city was badly battered as it was, near enough, the pivot point for the US forces to swing north towards the Falaise gap, closing the trap for the German forces trapped in the 'pocket'.

Depending on what direction you take to get to Le Mans, you may be riding through (or close to) the D-Day landing sites and into the boccage, scene of the most desperate battles. Far more soldiers died in the days after D-Day than during the actual landings, of course. Indeed, the subsequent slaughter outmatched that of the eastern front over a comparable period.

Antony Beevor's (excellent) new book should give you at least a spirit of the areas you may be passing through:

510pqcKJwfL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

PS WW1 was fought out way to the east!

PPS A bit away from Le Mans, but not impossible, would be the U-Boat pens on the Atlantic coast, perhaps?

Le Mans trip

Hi

I know this is an old post but I am fairly new here, if you are still planning to go to Le Mans I can recommend a fantastic place to stay on route. I have stayed here several times and they are very bike friendly.

Hotel De L Etoile D Or which is in a village of Gace just north of Alencon. This is within easy reach of Calais. There is Autoroute from Rouen down to Le Mans but if you have the time, the main road from Rouen to Gace is an excellent bike riding route.

The hotel is like a B&B style pub with great food, friendly owners and a garage to tuck your bikes away in.

Gace is right in the Falaise gap area but very close to Bayeux and Caen which have some really good WW11 museums and historic sites.

Official Contact Details - Hotel De L etoile D or
Address: Grande Rue - Gace - 61230 - France
Phone: 0233 355003
Hotel Class:
Rooms: 10

Hope this wasn't to late for your trip.

Im happy to email a picture of the Hotel from my previous trip as cant seem to add it here

Regards

Simon

Back
Top Bottom