660 map updates

WOODY

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im going to get a 660 but was wondering if Garmin still do the free map updates for the following year, if so I think i will wait until Jan before sending for one. If not there aint no point in waiting, anyone in the know :nenau

Im going to get a 660 but was wondering if Garmin still do the free map updates for the following year, if so I think i will wait until Jan before sending for one. If not there aint no point in waiting, anyone in the know :nenau

yes.
mine is a 2009 and got the free 2010 update via the tinternet.
cant you buy one now and not register unit with garmin untill 2010.;)
:kissy2

i had to register mine to get the maps unlocked. none of the codes that came with the unit worked in the normal fashion.

registered it with My Garmin and it just worked. i thought it was garmin's idea of copy protection :nenau

i had to register mine to get the maps unlocked. none of the codes that came with the unit worked in the normal fashion.

registered it with My Garmin and it just worked. i thought it was garmin's idea of copy protection :nenau

I :thumb
but it will work straight out of the box.
if you just want to use as a sat nav and not use mapsource via the puter ;)
for map/route transfer etc.
i used mine for 2 months before i registered it to get the updates.

I :thumb
but it will work straight out of the box.
if you just want to use as a sat nav and not use mapsource via the puter ;)
for map/route transfer etc.
i used mine for 2 months before i registered it to get the updates.

According to the blurb I got with mine on Saturday you have 60 days to register it after you first switch it on or you loose the free update.:(

According to the blurb I got with mine on Saturday you have 60 days to register it after you first switch it on or you loose the free update.:(

i would check with garmin [by phone] they are helpful.
i thought you had 60 days to transfer to device once downloaded to your computer.;)

Cheers guys I can wait another month or two in that case :thumb2

i would check with garmin [by phone] they are helpful.
i thought you had 60 days to transfer to device once downloaded to your computer.;)

The 60 days starts from when your GPS get it's first fix, so if it's been a demo unit in the shop ...

Cheers guys I can wait another month or two in that case :thumb2

The other thing that's not been mentioned is that Garmin now do 'about' quarterly updates. The small print says "up to 4 a year".

The last US update came out in July 2009 and was called 2010.2 The previous one was called 2010.1 and came out around March.

What this means is that the latest maps are quite new, whereas the old annual system was about 9 months out of date when they came out.

Back
Top Bottom