Ignition barrel help!

waterloo700

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone come across this problem - and found a solution.
I've taken the old ignition barrel out (won't go into how in an open forum) but the new one won't go back in fully. I think the problem is the locating pin and spring at the bottom of the barrel. It looks like the pin has to be pushed back by a "ramp" when you push the barrel back down the ignition housing. My pin seems to jam - possibly because the housing ramp is not smooth (there are some marks on it but I don't have a new housing to compare against).

Short of buying a new housing is there anything I can do?

Barry

You have to insert the new barrel into the case with the ignition turned to the "on" position.
That includes the lower/bottom inner part of the ignition housing.

Thanks for the pointer - afraid it still won't go in. Also I've noticed the barrel I took out has the hole at the bottom drilled straight through (the new one has a blind hole). Maybe its had a bit of butchery in the past.
I did wonder if I could chamfer the locating pin to help it slide in?

Also I've noticed the barrel I took out has the hole at the bottom drilled straight through (the new one has a blind hole). Maybe its had a bit of butchery in the past.
I did wonder if I could chamfer the locating pin to help it slide in?

The lock you've taken out with the straight through hole isn't an ignition lock - it's a seat/helmet lock .

Use a small screwdriver to help start to slide it in.

Got there in the end! Bought a new pin which came with a much more rounded end - followed your advice and its done!

Thanks again

Barry

Back
Top Bottom