The Alps - The Relaxing Way

the beer hunter

Reaction score
I'm currently making plans to visit The Alps again in 2010.

Last week in July - first week in August.
Camping but staying at a B&B at Dover.

Provisionally planning to stop off at a site in France for 1 night before heading for Garmisch for a few nights, exploring the area & then move on to Como for another few nights. Return through France, Dover & home.

The campsites around The Alps I'm looking at I visited in 2008 but only stopped for 1 night before moving on & I missed out on exploring the surrounding area. Next year I plan to do something about this, hence this will be a relaxing 9 to 10 day holiday with the emphasis on sight-seeing rather than clocking up hours in the saddle. Of course alpine passes are high on my list of places to visit.

If you fancy tagging along feel free to do your own thing once we're around The Alps. You'd have to do your own bookings & arrange vignettes etc but if you PM me I'll pass on details where I plan to stay.

I'll be riding from North Wales..

Dover 1 night B&B
France 1 night camping (approx 300 miles to site)
Germany/Austria 3 nights camping (approx 340 miles to site)
Como 3 nights camping, rooms available at the site if wanted. (approx 170-230 miles to site depending on which route you take i.e. Stelvio Pass)
France 1 night camping (approx 330 miles to site)
Dover 1 night B&B

Suitable for pillions.
Trip includes no off road sections.

tripCustom.jpg

-0205Small.jpg

-0083Small.jpg

-0028Small.jpg

-0032Small.jpg

-0060Small.jpg

-0064Small.jpg

-0248Small.jpg

-0113Small.jpg

From Ash's thread above:
Andermatt is surrounded by at least four great pass's-
Furka Pass.
Gotthard Pass.
Nufenen Pass.
Sustenpass.
and many more close by.
and my main reason for traveling so far, a great day awaits, if the sun is shinning then biking doesn't get much better.

All these passes are NW of the Como campsite & would make a good day's rideout . :thumb2

As of today

P&O Ferry, Dover - Calais £47.50

----

Sat: B&B at Dover booked :thumb2

Sun: Camp in France, tbc :camping

Mon: Garmisch site, contacted & no reservation needed :thumb2

Tues: Garmisch site :thumb2

Wed: Garmisch site :thumb2

Thur: Como site, contacted & pitch reserved. :thumb2

Fri: Como site, :thumb2

Sat: Como site, :thumb2

Sun: Camp in France, tbc :camping

Mon: B&B at Dover booked :thumb2

Tues: Ride home, :tarka

Might be interested , did the alps earlier this year was great, but did not spend too much time exploring as we went through 5 countries in 1 day.
How comes you booked the ferry instead of the tunnel as we used the tunnel and it was cheap and flexible on times, also there's a pub near folkestone that allows you to camp free if you buy a meal.
Just a thought.
Right now to see if i can be allowed out

Hi Phil, I'll deffo join you for some of this (if you don't mind?) as I'm heading down to Croatia the last week in July....

Steve:beerjug:

P.S Will there be camp fires to fall in :augie

Hi Phil, I'll deffo join you for some of this (if you don't mind?) as I'm heading down to Croatia the last week in July....

Steve:beerjug:

P.S Will there be camp fires to fall in :augie

My chair had a faulty leg, I've already contacted injurylawers4U. :rolleyes: Nothing whatsoever to do with the Snecklifter with Stella chasers. :beer:

I'll PM you all the trip details Stevie.

This is going to be my new neighbourhood in 3 weeks time so I may say hello when you are down in July :D

Looks like free camping! :cool:

I'll PM you the location details too Jon :thumb2

I had a look at calendar and it looks like I'll be going on July 16th (Friday), but will be heading back up north through Italy at the beginning of August, so might catch up with you in Como :thumb

No problem Stevie, my dates are fixed as my employer is shutting down for 2 weeks during the summer.

I've been talking to a local via another forum & he really rates The Grossglockner Pass, he's talking of riding up (from Italy on his SP2) & showing me around. I've done some searching & I've managed to book a pitch for 2 nights in a site very close. So my original itinery of 3 nights in Garmisch has now changed to 1 night in Garmisch & 2 nights just west of Kitzbuhel.

Here's a rough idea of the planned costs for this trip...

Ferry - £37.50, may increase as time presses on.

B&B at Dover - I've paid £90 (2 nights with secure garage parking)

European Breakdown Cover - I'm with the RAC so existing members get 10% off comprehensive (single trip) European cover but a ballpark figure is £49 less 10% member discount & less another 10% on-line discount comes to approx £40

Travel Insurance - Approx £20
There are quite a few threads regarding travel insurance policies not covering motorcycle trips - we can discuss this nearer the time.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114792

Fuel - Minimum 2250 miles (from my home in the North West) - £300 minimum based on a 37 - 45mpg loaded 1200GS in mountainous regions!

Camping - based on a 10 euro figure (some sites are less, some may be slightly more depending on facilities offered) £80

Food & drink - for 8 nights - £+

Tolls & vignettes - As/if required £+

European Health Insurance Card - Make sure yours is up to date, if you don't have one you can get one (free) here..

http://www.e111.org.uk/apply.html

So a quick totting up comes to a minimum figure of approx £570

Eight months to go - plenty of time to save up! :thumb

It may be an idea to contact your bank & inform them you'll be using your credit card along the way to avoid any problems.
I've never done this in the past & I've had no problems using my card for fuel but you never know.

Phil Leave and ferry both booked. E mail on its way. Just posted on here to make it official :beerjug:

Excellent Steve (Homer1968), PM & e-mail received. :thumb2

That's you & me confirmed, Doc Sav & Stevie possibly tagging along on-route & pnewman a maybe.

Regarding fuel range, I'll be stopping every 100 miles or so to stretch & refuel.
1st time campers will not be riddiculed either :D, I am happy to offer any (limited) advice & help.
GPS not necessary but may prove helpful.
Speed limits will be adhered to (most of the time) so no-one will get left behind.

Also, as stef25 wrote regarding his Morocco invite..

I have to emphasize that getting a small group of fun loving riders together would be great but ...to look at me as the "leader" of this trip would probably be foolish.

Same goes for me, this isn't a guided tour but I am willing to lead a ride to some fantastic roads & scenery in The Alps. You'll be free to go wherever & do whatever or to tag along once we arrive.

If anyone wants to read up on some of the passes in the area I can recommend a book :type

Motorcycle Journeys Through The Alps & Beyond by John Hermann.

A great chance for those that want to tour the Alps, but are unsure or not confident to go alone.
Enjoy Heaven.

Confirmed
The Beer Hunter
Homer1968

Might be interested
pnewman

Catch up with us 'over there'
(No confirmation required, I can provide details of locations nearer the time of departure).
Stevie73
Doc Savage

I'm going to keep the numbers low.
PM me if you want to tag along. :thumb2

Taking into account various aspects this invitation is now closed unless any of the riders below drop out.
3 to 6 riders sounds perfect for a trip like this.

Confirmed
The Beer Hunter
Homer1968
johnboy

Might be interested
pnewman

(No confirmation required, I can provide details of locations nearer the time of departure).
Stevie73
Doc Savage

DSC01004.jpg

Taking into account various aspects this invitation is now closed unless any of the riders below drop out.
3 to 6 riders sounds perfect for a trip like this.

Confirmed
The Beer Hunter
Homer1968
johnboy

Might be interested
pnewman

Stevie73
Doc Savage

Spaces may be available. 24th July - 2nd August 2010

johnboy, pnewman -
Hi guys, I pm'd you both a few weeks ago to see if you were still interested in this trip. (& I sent an email outlining travel arrangements for the 1st day)
I didn't get a reply to either communication.

Just to fill you in, I want to limit the trip to a handfull of riders & to date there's only 2 of us fully committed. I closed the invite when I thought you guys were onboard but if you want to withdraw your interest I can open up the invite & allow others time to prepare.

I'll pm you both again & if I hear nothing I'll assume you're not interested any more & open up the invite for 2 more riders.

My man in the area took these photos in Como last week- very cold & windy but not as cold as here! :cool:

DSCF0097Small.jpg

DSCF0096Small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom