Essentials?

carrera2

Reaction score
Hello

I am collecting my 02 1150GS on Sunday.

It's got a load of extras on it inc ABS, heated grips, off road pegs and I'm fitting an Adventure screen.

What would you consider to be essential add-ons for a general workhorse of a bike?

I'd like the extra driving lights but they seem expensive.

Cheers.

Oh it has luggage and head protectors!

Don't know what wally flaps are though...

Extra driving lights don't need to be expensive. A set of Hella Micro DE's is around £75 shipped from Germany (ebay item# 350268332387) and you could pick a light bar cheap enough. I'm planning to make a light bar from some tubular aluminium. If you wanted to cheaper than the Hellas, pop into Halfords. They've got fogs for under £30 I think.

LED brakelight panel and running lights for the rear indicators from Techno. (on this site)

HID headlamps.. which are perfect for the 1150 headlamp. white LED running lights for the front indicators will look good and increase your visibility for a small cost and little or no draw on the battery... again from Techno.

spotlamps... if you think you need them (on top of the HIDs) ~ cheap enough from 'how Much' (again - on this site)
£89 including bar and loom/switch. :thumb

thats it really... maybe in time you'll want to improve the seat.. but there are a multitude of options to increase comfort over distance.

Thanks for the light advice - will certainly look into that.

Seatwise - it's got a Sargeant on it which I believe is an improvement over the OEM.

Thanks for the light advice - will certainly look into that.

Seatwise - it's got a Sargeant on it which I believe is an improvement over the OEM.

It's an improvement alright and it would probably raise you £150-£200 if you were to sell it and go back to stock

You should think about taking stuff off, not adding. :augie

Less is more.

extras

Get it covered in loads of crap as quick as poss that way you'll look like a REAL round the world gs rider.

Don't buy anything for it.......just ride it for six months and then consider what YOU need......people just like justifying their own,often rather silly 'essentials' list :rolleyes:

Improved headlight - be it HID's or any other variety. Indispensable on winter nights. Apart from that less is more.

Oh, and +1 for Steptoes headguards :thumb2 You can then ditch the brush bars.

he's right, I know I do...er:blast

Me too:augie

The only things that are essential IMHO for a 1150 or 1100GS are

Sargent, Mayer, Russell or Corbin seat....................other aftermarket seats are just as crap as stock

MRA Screen

Ohlins/WP or Wilburs suspension

Other stuff like....................

Lights/TT/Wunderlich stuff is down to personal choice and ofter ..............less is more:thumb

Me too:augie

The only things that are essential IMHO for a 1150 or 1100GS are

Sargent, Mayer, Russell or Corbin seat....................other aftermarket seats are just as crap as stock

Well there ya go see, I like the original Adv seat...lots of room to move around off road, sit right back on long journeys to ease the legs and after they're worn in a bit, comfy as well.

People just didn't give them a chance to soften them up for their own arse shape :rob

Essential to change a seat? :nono:blast

Essential to change a seat? :nono:blast

For me yes......................for others maybe not.....

Although I have been riding the Kalahari with the stock seat lately and it's been just about ok for 6-7 hrs in the sadlle without an Airhawk or Sheepskin

Like Steptoe says, less is more-personally I would fit a stainless steel bolt kit asap, with large tub of copperslip. Its also worth taking the tank off, opening up all the plugs under there and giving them all a good going over with WD40 or some such. They can get very corroded especially the feed to the fuel pump.

Why invest like 5000 puond in a stock bike then more money in seats, exhausts, extra light then sell the OEM parts (or keep them until selling the whole bike together with oem parts) with less than half the price as new?

All my bike money go in gas, tyres, oil and brakes :)

Back
Top Bottom