misfiring badly since I lifted tank and opened air filter

simondippenhall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2003 1150 GS 40,000 miles

Apologies if I am covering old ground.

Bike running fine.

Then lifted the tank in preparation for battery change. Also opened the air-filter box. Did not change battery (duh...I ordered the wrong size from MDS).

Since then the engine misfires very badly. Can't tell if it is one cylinder or both. I have checked that the injectors are properly seated (and they appear to be). Likewise there don't appear to be any crimped cables or pipes.

The air filter box is well seated and the air sensor (the wand that goes in there) is clean and intact.

Have checked the plugs and they look fine.

What should I check next?

All help appreciated

regards

Simon

Check your RHS throttle cable.

attachment.php

And swish...I claim my throttle cable picture poster £5 rights :D

Fixed!! Thank you...next time you are in Hampshire come and claim your complimentary beer (or two!)

regards

Simon

Changed battery for the second time since 2007, set off for a pub lunch and bike is misfiring/kangarooing down the road. Had vague memories of something to watch out for when lifting the tank. Found this thread and wiggled some wires. It's all gravy :friday

Had the same thing on my 1100, such a small thing that can cause the bike to fail, I only noticed it by chance, but will remember for sure.

One of the reasons I never trusted Mill BMW, my 1150 did this in 2002 and when I spoke to the head technician they said to bring the bike in and they would stick it on the computer to find out but it would probably be the coil pack or the ECU and likely to cost a minimum of a couple of hundred pounds to diagnose and fix.

Googled the problem and found this site and it was a free 30 second fix

Back
Top Bottom