Quick Hello....... & first thoughts

Baldrick2

Just a quick hello from a newbie to this forum.

I've been a KTM rider since getting into offroad riding a few years ago. Do love my KTMs & will take a lot of beating! but.......

I went into a BMW dealer having seen the deal in Sept offering spares packs etc. Had a look at a new G450 & was impressed by it. Dealer also had a 2nd hand one which had come in to another dealer in his network as a part ex.

So to cut a long story short I got a cracking deal (paid less than £3k for a bike that is just 11 months old!!!!) and am now the proud owner of the G450.

Had a first run on it last weekend & it compares well to my 450 KTM.... couple of observations:

- Handling was superb, especially on mud & loose surfaces

- Riding position is excellent - bike is so thin that you really can get weight forward & over the front wheel & stood up it feels really stable & controlable & it beats my KTM here

- Power deliver is smooth however doesn't feel as revvy or as sharp on the power as my KTM (on the KTM a crack of the throttle easily just lifts the front over bumps etc.... the BM takes a second to react & then power doesn't come in quickly enough to lift the front in time.)........... bike has the high power plug fitted with a switch on the handlebars however dealer had to sell it with the stock can fitted & it may be that this is strangling the power delivery.

Have a new can on order ..... have gone for a scorpion can as it's much cheaper than the akrapovic!!!!!!

Any advice on ownership or mods to the bike are much appreciated!!

Cheers

Hmmmmmm .... 40+ views & no comments or advice...... Friendly bunch on here then!!

......or is it just that I also ride an orange bike & you guys just don't talk to KTM owners??????

:toungincheek

Enjoy your bike mate..... But I suspect that you'll be back in the orange family sooner than you think. :p

I had a G450X and I did like it, but the thought of losing a bucket load of cash soon prompted me to part ways with it and return to the oranges fold.

Nothing worng with the bike at all, Just the possible resale values.

If I had stuck it out and kept it long term then it would have only cost me the same as any other bike, but because I am quite impulsive I change my bikes very quickly. :cool:

Hi Brompton... recognise you from the KTM forum & had read your experience on here whilst researching the BMW.

In terms of resale value, I'm not worried.... I paid less than £3k from a BMW dealer for a bike that was just 11 months old (& still has 13 months of warrenty left - compare that to the 30 days I got on my last KTM!!) ...... some poor sod up the chain has already taken the hit on the depreciation (& some it is was over 11 months!!)....... If I sold it privately it would clearly make what I paid for it ... if not more!!!!

I've also kept my 450 sixdays & have both in the garage right now..... only the one "proper" ride on the BM but as I said above, I was impressed - very impressed & handling wise I think it was better than my KTM.

I am struggling with power, or more the power delivery. My Scorpion end can arrived today so this weekends task is to fit it before a blast on Sunday. I'm hoping losing the stock can will help it breathe more easily & lose the "strangled" feeeling.

Time will tell but am going to give the G450 a good crack at it...... it has to deserve it given the georgous handling from last week!!! Will keep you posted on how the engine feels with the scorpion on it!
Cheers

My G450 had the Akrapovic fitted and also the plug so I can guess what you will say when you get the scorpion fitted, It will go ok and be a lump lighter as the standard can weighs a blooming ton., It did sound mint with the db killer removed I must admit.

Knighters 480 seemed to growl....That and the Speedbrain equippped bike in the TBM mag seduced me into buying it.

Told you I was impulsive, I found mine on the web the very same day as I sold 2 450 KTMs to some guys from Romania, They came with a pocket full of £50's for me, I looked on the internet, saw the Beemer and the rest is history so to speak.

It rides like a totally different bike compared to the KTM, It will take a little time to adjust I am sure

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom