Rear Mudguard

FERRET

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well i ventured out for the first time off road on Saturday on my X Challenge up in the Yorkshire Dales thanks to Basil and Dazzer on the ADV site.
Very impressed with the bike, i tagged along with the more difficult route and did not find any parts that the bike or me could not cope with.
There are two things that i have found that need addressing both have been discussed on here previously, first being the spray from the front wheel, i can easily address this so its not a problem, the second i need a little advice on, my bike is fitted with an RG tail tidy, a mod that i see is recommended for off road use, however i found that all the mud and crap absolutley plastered my back and i was absolutley covered, i recall reading a thread on here some time ago which recommended removing the rear number plate extender as it fouled the air shock?, and damaged it, am i correct i what i think i read or is there no issues with replacing this to stop the mud splatter from the rear wheel.
All advice will be greatly appreciated.

ferret:thumb

The part that fouls the air shock is nowhere near the number plate. Its the small curved black plastic piece thats close to the shock that prevents it getting covered in crap. It rubs on the black rubber 'bladder' part of the air shock and wears through it apparently.

Thanks Rushy, i will put the origional rear mudguard extender back on and see if that will keep me a bit cleaner:eek:

Thanks Rushy, i will put the origional rear mudguard extender back on and see if that will keep me a bit cleaner:eek:

Depending on how hard you ride most peeps say they do get torn off though. Gaz posted a picture in hear recently of his biek and you can see his mod. Its basically a tail tidy with a standard numplate on it and then he has fitted sheet of flexible plastic between the tailtidy & the number plate thats about 25% wider on both sides and below to try to catch the crud.
:thumb

The part that fouls the air shock is nowhere near the number plate. Its the small curved black plastic piece thats close to the shock that prevents it getting covered in crap. It rubs on the black rubber 'bladder' part of the air shock and wears through it apparently.

Hi - I found a judicious application with a heat gun enables you to bend the shock guard into an "~" kind of shape to prevent it rubbing at all :thumb2

Thanks again for all the replies will take all advice on board, thanks

ferret:thumb

The main reason your back gets covered in mud...............................is the lack of sidepanels and nothing to do with the rear mudguard

The XC has no sidepanels (every other Enduro/Trail bike has sidepanels) and you're prone to getting covered from the right side of the bike (the huge zorst takes care of the left side)

BMW design fault........................not a lot you can do except fit panniers:augie

Just hose yourself down, after a ride:D

Back
Top Bottom