New 2010 tachyon Camera! And 3D option

mike wright

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A while ago I came across the Tachyon XC action camera which no other manufacturers could come up with the high spec and large memory capacity of a self contained unit. The Tachyon XC is even better with the new 2010 version PLUS a 3D version!......I thought the original was outstanding but the 2010 model has some very interesting new features.

Insert Tachyon comparison video

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HZB-ukdsS2Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HZB-ukdsS2Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Visually they look the same until on closer inspection you can see the larger lens (was 50 degrees)but now a whopping wide angle recording mode of 90 degrees and the new high dynamic sensor which reacts very quickly to light changes!...Anything more than a 90 degree lens would be like looking through a gold fish eye so 90 degrees is spot on!

Another new feature is the ability to film inside thanks to the all new sensor which I reckon is as good as a mini DV camera and certainly better than some of the mini mpeg recorders I have used. The camera is waterproof as before but this time moves from 8.5m to 10.3 however I don’t intend trying it on the bike.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dUgoOVpHHiU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dUgoOVpHHiU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

There’s also the function to record images in 2 second intervals saved as jpeg’s and a secrecy mode when people don’t want to be recorded. Importantly the color quality and clarity of the images is very good without the wavy footage seen on other self contained units. The improvements in the sensor also enable filming at night which is often an overlooked feature of many other units I have tested.

The 3D version is basically 2 single cameras on one mount which records at the same time then using the software merges the footage to create a 3D movie. You use the 3D glasses and into reality you go. The secret to making the footage is to make sure both cameras are mounted firmly in the mount then pressing the remote both record at the same time. Once finished use the 3D supplied software and the film merges making the output the 3D movie.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWuYT3EgmHk&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWuYT3EgmHk&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Internally the housing is the same as the previous one so why change something that already worked perfectly. The wide array of mounts comes in the box so you have endless mounting options to whatever you wish. There’s also a green option which is a powered source from the 12v supply that is a definite bonus on long trips. Like the previous model the unit includes a large remote which is handy as you don’t have to take your gloves off and it doesn’t go missing!

“2010 Green Power Pack
Includes: One 110/220 volt power adaptor for wall socket
One 12 volt power adaptor for car lighter socket
One lithium rechargeable battery*
*Battery acts as short-term power buffer (20 min) for when Power Pack is unplugged”.

Although this is not my own footage it shows the quality of the footage with the new 2010 camera. I tried it on the bike but riding a single the vibrations didn’t do the camera justice. Mounted on the top of the helmet the footage was vibration free as expected.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EuMG1fzaGpE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EuMG1fzaGpE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5I5Rz8fM_RM&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5I5Rz8fM_RM&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The camera is available here and there is loads more info and samples. There a great company to deal with and very helpful.

http://www.tachyoninc.com/

Thanks for the review Mike, do you know what the front lens made of? Its gonner get filthy, so I’m hoping its glass, then it’s easy to wash under the tap...

Cheers, Martin

Hi Mike
Did you buy yours in the UK? There are two resellers - Cambridge and Cardiff.
Do you know if the unit has a screw hole that allows it to be fitted to a tripod?
To get the 3D I take it that you buy two cameras and a bespoke mount from Tachyon?
Good review by the way thanks

Hi Mike
Did you buy yours in the UK? There are two resellers - Cambridge and Cardiff.
Do you know if the unit has a screw hole that allows it to be fitted to a tripod?
To get the 3D I take it that you buy two cameras and a bespoke mount from Tachyon?
Good review by the way thanks

Got this email back from one of the resellers (the Cambridge one)
The new Tachyon XC Mini is due out the early part of December - I already have my order placed with Tachyon in America. We are being told shipping as from 12th December - so fingers crossed they should be here in time for Christmas (barring any issues with Customs clearance).

With regards to cost, we confidently expect to be able to do the camera at £129.99 including P&P.

The Micro will ship with a new "universal" mount that is designed to go onto your goggles' strap, or on top of a helmet with 3M dual-lock tape. From what I can see looking at the pictures I've been sent, it does not have a tripod mount.

The 3D option is not something you can use the Micro for - this is only for the 2010XC. The full 3D kit actually represents the best value for money of all the products at the moment, as for £349.99 inc. P&P you get :-

2 x Tachyon 2010XC cameras ( with all the accessories they normally come with)
Special 3D mount and frame
Software for editing
ASP Trading Ltd special offer - 1 x 4GB SDHC card & 2 x AA Lithium batteries with EACH camera (on all orders placed & paid for before end November)

To put that in perspective, if you bought all of that separately it would cost as follows :-

2 x Tachyon 2010XC @ £179.99 ea (359.98)
3D mount and frame £39.99
Cards & batteries £59.98

Total £459.95 - so you are saving £109.96 if you order the 2010XC 3D kit before the end of November. If two of you are interested that's only £174.99 each and you've got the whole shooting match !!

By all means wait for the XC Micro which I am sure will be a fantastic product, but for value for money, the deal I've outlined above is unbeatable ! More stock of the 2010XC is on its way and should be with me by the 18th November.

Please let me know your thoughts - if you want a 2010XC 3D kit I'll need to take payment up-front to secure the stock for you, as more than half of the stock due in on the 18th of this month is already sold. If you want to wait for an XC Micro, let me have your card details to secure your order, but I won't take payment until I ship the goods and have confirmed the price with you.

Ordering direct from USA for the Micro due out on 12 December is £78.41 inclusive of postage (today's conversion rate)
Ordering from UK same product is 129.99 including postage
Downside of ordering from USA is may have to pay import duty unless you get them to describe it as a present or similar and it is quite hard to return it if it goes wrong
I think I may order it from ..............

USA as £50 is a lot of dosh

Thanks for the review Mike, do you know what the front lens made of? Its gonner get filthy, so I’m hoping its glass, then it’s easy to wash under the tap...

Cheers, Martin

Good question and I will find out for you. There are also loads of mounts some with std fit threads for camera tripods and mounts etc. :thumb2 The actual camera slides into one of the mounts so the options are endless.A very good camera setup indeed!

tachyon mini

Ive ust bought the mini for 129 quid inc p+p,i saw the footage on a laptop at the london bike show, i was impressed i must say.
its only in vga, but i decided that will do, if i lose it,bad luck,only £130 quid.
if its a £300 quid unit and you lose it, ill be pssied off.
just waiting for it to arrive, late feb im told.
didnt see much point getting the more expensive one with the useless infra red remote control(why infra red????) it does so limit mounting positions..
if the mini had a radio remote control, it would be so cool.Paul

Tachyon XC micro review

I've been able to test my Tachyon XC micro on four rides, one walk and one conference (!), so here goes...

- This thing eats batteries in the cold. Seriously, 30minutes at 0 degrees, and that's a brand new pair of copper coloured batteries gone. Can't afford that! So I ignored the official literature and bought a set of 1000mAh nickel hydride rechargeables. Four cost me £10, and one pair gave me 3 hours recording at room temperature. I'm sure cold temperature will change that, but Ill be quids in after only a few trips.

- Sound is very very poor when the unit is sealed. The literature admits this, saying it's to preserve weatherproofing, and says to leave the back door open to let the sound in. I'm hardly likely to do that in snow or rain or dust, so that's that. The shell also seems to pick up the engine vibration when the unit is closed, so that drowns out other noises.

- Sound is fair but nothing spectacular when the unit is open. The back door means that pickup is somewhat directional. You'll hear someone talking across a quiet room with the camera pointed at them, but expect to have to play with frequency and volume settings to improve audibility.

- Video quality is good for the spec (640 x 480), doesn't skip, but has a tendency to swim with vibration. I have mine mounted on the bike frame above the instrument cluster (RAM mount with a bodge), and get a bit of swim until the revs perk up (1500rpm +). A helmet mount would probably eliminate that.

- Waterproof doesn't mean useful in the rain. The lens is behind a cover, but protected in a well or surrounding tube on all sides. Rain in the face of the camera has no-where to go and does collect. A rounded lens or cover would shake the rain off.

- The curved holder supplied is designed for helmet mounts (and one gets a few velcro-like strips, but I really need something screw in for the RAM mount or to get a band (like a goggle band or strap) to attach it to my full-face helmet. Sorry, but I'm not likely to trust velcro with a camera at 60mph.

- The camera is well enclosed and it does feel rugged. I don't purposefully test my kit to destruction, so this test will have to wait for another day!

- MicroSD is a pain - very tiny and fiddly :) Also, get a big card - 1.89GB for 30minutes.

- Controls are simple - a button on top for the important on-the-bike stuff - but I wish the LED was more visible from an angle. I found it necessary to check whether I turned it on or off, mainly because you have to hold the button for a while to toggle (couldn't hear the beep through the helmet)

OK, that's it :) Would I buy again? It does the job, but I'd like to compare with some competition first.

Back
Top Bottom