clutch fluid has escaped

Johnwhit

Reaction score
hi all,
started my 1150gs this morning and the clutch was biting very close to the handle bar. after a few mins of riding it went back to normal. I checked the level when I got home and its a bit low. I looked at the 'cable' on the slave end and it looks a bit rustly. I'm thinking of gettting a few washers & wondered where to get a new cable thats not going to cost me ££££££ !!
I see motorworks has the part but was hoping someone knows of a cheaper deal or had a few made up ????

I just hope its not the slave .....but dont think so she is watching tv :augie:augie

:tears:tears
John

It isn't a cable, it's a hydraulic clutch on the 1150. The pipe into the back of the slave cylinder corrodes - Steptoe did a thread on how it can be repaired, IIRC.

Hydraulic hose

It'll probably be the hose - if your replacing it then fit the one for an 1150 Adventure - it's a stainless steel braided hose so the corrosion at the bottom banjo will never happen again.
Also, you'd be better taking the slave cylinder out at the same time anyway & having at look at it at least - it easier for removing/fitting the clutch hose anyway - it's easy enough to get out using ball-end allen keys, ingnore the BMW worshop manual - it has you dismantling half the bike to get at it.

Cheers............................Grizzly:beer:

an update...........

the level needed topping up today and it needs a bit of a pump every now and again to stop it grabbing right at the end its travel.
I had a look at the slave and its wet on the outside from brake fluid.

my thinking is its the cable and not the slave. can the slave leak on the out side of would it leak inside the housing ??

the question is should i just get a new hose & washers or could it still be the slave that needs replacing and should I get a slave aswell when calling motorworks ?
best guess anyone............???
its just i wouldnt like to spend more for a slave if I dont need it
btw its a 2002 1150gs with 43000miles
any help or advice would be apreciated
:comfort:comfort:comfort

an update...........

the level needed topping up today and it needs a bit of a pump every now and again to stop it grabbing right at the end its travel.
I had a look at the slave and its wet on the outside from brake fluid.

my thinking is its the cable and not the slave. can the slave leak on the out side of would it leak inside the housing ??

the question is should i just get a new hose & washers or could it still be the slave that needs replacing and should I get a slave aswell when calling motorworks ?
best guess anyone............???
its just i wouldnt like to spend more for a slave if I dont need it
btw its a 2002 1150gs with 43000miles
any help or advice would be apreciated
:comfort:comfort:comfort
I only owned an 1150 for a brief period, but from memory you will be buying more then a hose if you are topping it up with brake fluid :augie

Stewart

I'd change the lot. A second hand slave cylinder will set you back £20 from Sherlocks/Motorworks. First I'd start with some new sealing copper washers. £0.19 from Motorworks.

well i followed mr Steptoes guidance & took off the back wheel & shock to get at it and still not sure what to do, the slave looks ok (bearing spins fine & it pumps ok when I press it in) - but still dont know what to do next. do I get the hose & try it first or just get everything one go ?
if just try a few washers first ?
i have attached a pic that may show someone clever if the corrosion on it points to washers or the pipe?

help !!! my bike is in bits outside

Attachments

• slave cyl.jpg
    slave cyl.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 181
just tried to remove the corrosion from the part and its not just marked the sealing part is pitted and worn away I had no choice but to put in an order for a slave unit from motorworks

anyone want to buy a kidney ?

its only money .........

From what I've read on here, the slave cylinders tend to go at about 30000, mine went at 35000 so you've probably had your money's worth out of it anyway, saves it packing in on you some cold dark rainy night somewhere...

, saves it packing in on you some cold dark rainy night somewhere...

Shouldn't leave you stranded. Just ride clutchless till you get home. Pretty easy once your in the groove.

Only way a slave will possibly leave you immobile is if it leaks and the fluid contaminates your clutch so badly you lose drive

Back
Top Bottom