Touratech sump guard

Mav

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody fitted the Touratech sump guard to their bike? In looking at the fitting instructions, it looks like it does not use any of the threads in the sump. Am I right in my assumption?

This is the guard I'm talking about:
01-044-0309-0_I_01.JPG

And here are the installation instructions: http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/doku1/09-044-0309-0.PDF?osCsid=c9a42a57788fdd634f72d5ec2df23fa0

Spout will know, but I think the benefit is that it mounts the lower frame rails:thumb and NOT the sump:blast

Spout will know, but I think the benefit is that it mounts the lowere frame rails:thumb and NOT the sump:blast

I totally see the benefit - I just wanted to confirm this is the case :thumb2

At the front, the TT guard uses a mounting plate bolted to the crankcases/sump (as does the original). This guard mount is designed to deform/break without damage to the sump.
The next set of mounts (in't middle) are off the side frame rails - so no force to the sump at all. These are the main load bearing mounts.
And finally at the back, (a very fiddly to set up), mount off the lower cross frame rail by the battery. There's no real strength in this mount, it's just a support for the rear of the guard.

As the instructions say - don't tighten anything til all in place.

It is a bit fiddly dropping the guard for servicing (and I've had to replace the rear mount bolts) but everything does stay aligned even after some serious abuse.
Just remembered, I've had to have the steel front mounting bracket welded up after one of the lugs snapped off. Perhaps I've beeen giving it more than serious abuse!

Quality kit. :thumb

Cheers Spout - just the information I was after :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom