Memory map questions

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place but if there are any memory map guru's out there I'd appreciate some tips.

I'm using MM for creating off road routes. I'd like to know how much of the total route is off road and how much is on road, so here are some questions:

1) Is it feasible to create a "route" using tracks for the off road section and routes for the on-road?

2) I find that I have to keep ending routes to zoom out and look at the next bit of where I want to go, which creates lots of mini-routes. Is there a way to join routes?

Is there a way to join tracks and routes to make one whole file for download to gps?

thanks all,

Not sure if this is the right place but if there are any memory map guru's out there I'd appreciate some tips.

I'm using MM for creating off road routes. I'd like to know how much of the total route is off road and how much is on road, so here are some questions:

1) Is it feasible to create a "route" using tracks for the off road section and routes for the on-road?

2) I find that I have to keep ending routes to zoom out and look at the next bit of where I want to go, which creates lots of mini-routes. Is there a way to join routes?

Is there a way to join tracks and routes to make one whole file for download to gps?

thanks all,

Berin

Not sure if I am a guru but here goes.

I don't think you can have a route comprised of a route AND a track it has to be one or the other. You can always have two or more separate routes/tracks, name them whatever you want and select them as needed.

I'm sure there is a good reason, but why do you need them to be different depending on whether it is on or off road?

Re Q2 Are you are creating the route on a PC or PDA?

Hopefully this will make sense. On the PC use a wheel mouse and roll the wheel to zoom out then move the mouse pointer to where you want it and zoom in. The focus of the zoom is always the mouse pointer. When zooming out move the mouse pointer back towards the track/route you have just drawn before doing so and you will have more map viewable ahead of your track that you can zoom into. If you don't have a wheel mouse and use the buttons to zoom just move the map around using the arrow keys so you can position the next waypoint.

On a PDA (or PC) create your route. To continue it, after ending to move the map, select the last waypoint. Tap and hold on Windows Mobile; right click on PC, and select 'add waypoint after'. This will allow you to continue making your route.:thumb You can't do this with tracks but you can select the route/track and convert back and forth from route to track depending on what you want to do.

Last points then - joining tracks/routes. I think only tracks can be joined and they have to be actually touching at each end, but once they are you can name them and save them. All you routes/tracks are viewable in list form and are stored in the overlay which you can also name. This overlay file can be transferred to other memory map users who will be able to see all the overlays.

On the PC You can choose to export the file in a variety of formats. Not sure which you would need and I have not used this feature. I'm also not sure if it would have to be all tracks to get Long/Lat info.

Hope that doesn't add to the confusion but the people at Memory Map are very helpful if you get really stuck.

Regards

Peter

PS Won't be able to make the November meet at the G&D as there's an ex-works leaving do on:beer::D

Right then, certainly not a guru but a big fan of MM.
As far as I can see there's no problem drawing 'on road' as routes and 'off road' as tracks as far as measurement goes.

However, the two problems I can see are:

1) You can Follow a route using GPS, but not a track

2) No, you can't join Routes and Tracks into one for export to your GPS. What you can do though, is split a track into several pieces, measure the various bits, re-join it, convert it into a route and then export it.
So you could trace the whole ride as one long track, then split the off-road bits, measure and rejoin.
The best way to do this is actually to draw it as a route first, then convert it to a track, then split it by right-clicking at the point you wish to split it. (tip: start and end the off-road sections with a waypoint) Then measure, rejoin, convert back to a route. The reason being that you can add bits to an existing route, but not to a track. So you don't have to physically draw it all in one long uninterrupted go!
You draw a section of route, and if you need to temporarily end it you just double-click on the last position or waypoint. Then to add to or extend the route, you right-click on the last waypoint and choose 'add waypoint after' and carry on drawing the route. (You can also 'add before' to insert a point. When you've finished, convert to a track, split etc, etc. You can also change the colours of the split portions so you can see them better when you come to rejoin or print off the map prior to rejoining.

Regarding zooming, if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel you can zoom in and out with the wheel without interrupting the route drawing.

Hope this all makes sense :thumb2

If you get stuck, PM me and I'll give you my number so we can talk it through

Good luck

Mick

Edit: beaten to it by Metisse :blast

PS As Metisse correctly pointed out: as long as the ends of 2 tracks touch, they can be joined into 1. I didn't know that, Thanks Peter!! :bow :thumb2

Thanks Metisse and Buelzebub, useful stuff. Metisse, the reason I wanted to look at on road/off road sections differently is simply cos I want to calculate a route with as little on-road as possible.

I'll try the techniques you've both mentioned and post back.

:thumb2

One more thing - I can see how to save a route by right click-save as. But, as we've discussed above, a a whole "route" may consist of several mini-routes. Is there any way of saving the whole lot a "project" - ie all the routes, tracks etc in one place?

I've also been looking at a product called Mapyx Quo which seems to do this.

Any thoughts?

You can save routes in MM?

Jeeze louise I've had it for ages and cant do that...........theres some off road tracks I would love to save

I take it this is OSGB maps?

You can save routes in MM?

Jeeze louise I've had it for ages and cant do that...........theres some off road tracks I would love to save

I take it this is OSGB maps?

Yes, on os gb. In the overlay object window on the RHS right click the route, then save-as.

One more thing - I can see how to save a route by right click-save as. But, as we've discussed above, a a whole "route" may consist of several mini-routes. Is there any way of saving the whole lot a "project" - ie all the routes, tracks etc in one place?

I've also been looking at a product called Mapyx Quo which seems to do this.

Any thoughts?

Berin

To save all the routes in one file make only the route/s you want visible, hide everything else. The choose 'export visible' from the menu, name and save the overlay file as a whole. This will save all the overlay object you currently have displayed e.g. routes, tracks, positions, waypoints etc.

You can get camera locations;) for memory map which are just lots of positions with a camera icon all in an overlay www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk

I was playing with the software last night and found that you can join routes partially. Draw two routes and then drag the start waypoint of one route over the end of the previous one. The routes are linked by the shared waypoint but are still separate. This may help with your desire to separate road/off road sections?

You can link routes at any waypoint which can make interesting patterns on the screen! (sad geek):D

Have fun

Regards

Peter

You can join tracks that don't actually touch but are very close together.

Most folks who use MM for offroading just follow a track rather than a route, you just have to be careful if you plan to do loops.

Back
Top Bottom