NO CLUCH, CHECKED - NO FLUID.. help?

notanotherbike

My R1150gsa has been stood in the garage since Sept after having work done at RGM, everything working fine.
Charged the battery yesterday & rolled it out to fire it up today & pulled on the cluch lever, nothing...
Started in N & clicked down, stalled !! flicked back in to N & warmed up then switched off...
Checked fluid... nothing in there... no leaks on the floor... help?

what does this mean... where has it gone... can i just top up...? :blast
Getting sick of fixing stuff every time i want to ride. :mad:

Thanks NAB.

rear shaft seal, rear bearings on the shaft, final drive oil change, gear box oil change, rear disc/pads, service...

Nothing to do with the clutch then. Fluid must,ve gone somewhere, so if it's not on the garage floor it's either on the last road you were on or it's in the clutch housing.

I'd fill the reservoir back up, bleed the clutch (bleed valve under seat, top right) and see how that goes. If it's still losing fluid or the clutch slips, then I'd suspect the slave cylinder. Reason I say that is if the slave's gone, fluid travels along the push rod and drips into the clutch plates causing slip. You need to catch that quick or the clutch may be shagged because of it.

Are you OK with spannering, is this something you can tackle?

can that happen from just sitting there... is it something i've done/not done?
spanners - well i can top up the fluid, dot4 - new bottle waiting to go & will have a look for the bleed under the seat... how do i do that?

sorry, it just seems to be a new prob everytime.. must just need to be ridden!! :eek:

Thanks for this. Nab.

No clutch fluid doesn't just disappear, it's gone somewhere. The clutch lever and reservoir on your left handlebar hold the fluid that compresses into the slave cylinder when you pull the lever in. The slave cylinder pushes a rod against the clutch plates to release the clutch so you can change gear.

If the fluid's gone from the master cylinder on the handlebar it must have gone somewhere, and usually when these things go, it's the slave cylinder that's started to leak. This is situated at the rear of the gearbox, in front of the back wheel. The bleed valve for it is tucked up in the rear sub-frame above and to the right of the back wheel.

If you first find the slave cylinder, you can then trace the tube to the bleed valve. The slave has three bolts holding it in, if you undo them and withdraw the slave cylinder, a dead giveway to it leaking is a gummy sort of stuff around it's front.

ta... will check it in the morning & report back. Many thanks. :thumb2

You're welcome, I only know this cos my clutch went recently and it was the slave that caused it. Got some good advice off Steptoe and sorted it. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

No clutch fluid doesn't just disappear, it's gone somewhere. The clutch lever and reservoir on your left handlebar hold the fluid that compresses into the slave cylinder when you pull the lever in. The slave cylinder pushes a rod against the clutch plates to release the clutch so you can change gear.

If the fluid's gone from the master cylinder on the handlebar it must have gone somewhere, and usually when these things go, it's the slave cylinder that's started to leak. This is situated at the rear of the gearbox, in front of the back wheel. The bleed valve for it is tucked up in the rear sub-frame above and to the right of the back wheel.

If you first find the slave cylinder, you can then trace the tube to the bleed valve. The slave has three bolts holding it in, if you undo them and withdraw the slave cylinder, a dead giveway to it leaking is a gummy sort of stuff around it's front.

follow the above then ffs get out and ride it,GSs dont like slumbering in the garage:rob:aidan:aidan

my clutch slave packed up the other day, I followed Steptoe's suggestions and replaced it without much drama. I would worry a bit if it hasnt leaked externally as it may be working its evil way towards your clutch !!!

its a back wheel off, shock out story to get to it but like I said of its possible for a mokey like me to replace it then anyone can do it.
however if you have the money to spare I would get it down to Steptoe to do it , I would have done that if I was closer as I usualy fix one thing & 'unfix' another when I work on something :blast:blast

cheers
John
:thumb

Taken a look, small amount of fluid on my yellow chopping board (to protect the floor) underneath the stand.
some wet sitting on the touratech bash plate & seems to be coming from the gearbox/cluch/underneath joins? looks green.
the slave area seems to be bone dry... so i can gess-ti-mate that the fluid has leaked from the cluch/gearbox join underneath. :tears

just been handed a corona to ease the pain & i don't drink. :beer:

i'll have to get it picked up to be looked at & do some extra hours doing what i can do.. to pay for what i can't.

Many many thanks. Nab.

Seems weird for it to just go, just sat there in the garage. This may not be it but just in my experience simply disturbing the bleed tube from its connection on the slave can 'slightly undo' the banjo bolt and let fluid out. When I changed the box I noticed this had happened and fluid had bled out. I just nipped up the connection, filled the res with fluid and pumped then bound the clutch lever against the bar overnight. The force from the clutch pressure plate was enough to push the air out - all was well in the morning. They might have just disturbed the connection when they were round the back changing the rear seal. Access to the slave is a bit tricky without removing a few things. The clutch has a 'speed bleeder' connection I think and you need the proper thingy to bleed it with.

the speed bleeder thing has a small ball bearing in it as a seal.
just take the end alen bolt plug thing out and you will see it.
I just pumped the lever and used an alen key to press in the ball bearing while the lever was being pumped. When it got a bit of resistance I pumped the lever till it was on the handle bar,pressed the ball to let out a bit of fluid, released the ball -then the lever,
I did this a few times and all was fine.
thats how you bleed it but I guess you need a new slave first tho,

John

Back
Top Bottom