Looking for enduro tyres

ONYERBIKE

Reaction score
Looking to replace my Pirelli MT21's either with same again or AC10's
Can anyone give me some feedback on the AC10, how long do they last, what are they like on the road for those sections between trails etc.
Also where is the best place in the UK for buying enduro tyres?
I just came back from France so am out of touch over here.
Any advise? Any other brands worth looking at?
Anyone tried the Army tyres? (Heidenau I think)

I've been running AC10s on my XC, the only other tyres i've put on there have been michelin comp3/4.

The AC10's i find i can get around 600-750 miles out of a rear (1000 if i go easy on it), while a comp3 will do about 3-400.

I use racespec ( www.racespec.co.uk )for tyres, they seem to be reasonably competitive.

Nathan

Looking to replace my Pirelli MT21's either with same again or AC10's
Can anyone give me some feedback on the AC10, how long do they last, what are they like on the road for those sections between trails etc.
Also where is the best place in the UK for buying enduro tyres?
I just came back from France so am out of touch over here.
Any advise? Any other brands worth looking at?
Anyone tried the Army tyres? (Heidenau I think)

Will be interesting to hear what the masses are running....
JB (iirc) runs MT21, where Gaz is Mitas C02.....
I have just taken a C02 off my DRZ that had covered 2300miles, and it still had 10mm tread left (its going back on next summer:D).
The Heindenau has a tread depth at new of 8mm front/13mm rear, so not really an MT21 equivalent but more an option to TKC80.
The KTM chaps harp on about the Dunlop, D606 front/D908RR rear

D606 looks good. I will be seriously think about a set of these instead of MT21.

D908RR. Some riders report poor performance in wet mud/rock, but they were running full presures as not rimlock fitted.

Timpo.

Cheers Chaps:thumb2
What about suppliers, do you use Watling tyres, Universal, racespec or is there a cheaper supplier in the uk :nenau

As Timpo says, I run MT21's

I like the MT21 on the front here in Yorkshire as it gives good grip on limestone and is ok in mud

The rear is ok, good on limestone and is only average in mud and not the grippiest...................however you can overide this by good throttle control:D

They last for 2-3000 miles which is good

Stability on the road is good, due to the stiff sidewalls

I run @ 25psi all the time and try to 'feel' for grip, instead of letting them down and fitting rimlocks, as I think this would be self defeating on such a heavy bike with 53hp and with tyres that have a stiff sidewall anyway

I tried a Dunlop D908RR in winter and it was truly awful in wet conditions

The tyre has a very strong carcass and compound and is billed as a Rallye raid tyre for hot, stony and hard pack/desert conditions................totally alien in the UK:blast

It would be ok in UK summer conditions (the Plain) or for a Pyreenean/Moroccan trip with some roadwork

I'm running MT21's on mine.

Actually quite predictable on the road and last well. My rear is pretty much done at 2300 miles - about to replace it with the same.

Now running 25 psi also after damaging my front rim on the rocky tracks at 18 psi.

Paul

I don't do any 'everyday' riding on my XCh and only use it offroad or to do linking bits of road and have now done 7K of this.
I agree with JB that relatively high pressures are best (20+) or else your valve will go awol.

I can't see beyond Mitas CO2 as the best allround non-competition tyres, not just for the XCh, most of the Virtual Peaks TRF group are converts.

I went from MT21 -> AC10s - > CO2

MT21 - great on road, reasonable on rock, not good in significant mud. Moderate wear rate.

AC10 - generally terrifying on damp tarmac or wet rocks. Tremendous in mud. Poor wear rate.

CO2 - 80% of the MT's ability on the road (which is amazing given how aggressive they look), good in mud and good on rocks, and will last *much* longer than the MT or AC.

Available from
http://www.demonmx.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d658.html#p5944

CO2 rear, C19 front.

I don't do any 'everyday' riding on my XCh and only use it offroad or to do linking bits of road and have now done 7K of this.
I agree with JB that relatively high pressures are best (20+) or else your valve will go awol.

I can't see beyond Mitas CO2 as the best allround non-competition tyres, not just for the XCh, most of the Virtual Peaks TRF group are converts.

I went from MT21 -> AC10s - > CO2

MT21 - great on road, reasonable on rock, not good in significant mud. Moderate wear rate.

AC10 - generally terrifying on damp tarmac or wet rocks. Tremendous in mud. Poor wear rate.

CO2 - 80% of the MT's ability on the road (which is amazing given how aggressive they look), good in mud and good on rocks, and will last *much* longer than the MT or AC.

Available from
http://www.demonmx.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d658.html#p5944

CO2 rear, C19 front.

Cheers Gazz, exactly the information I was after :thumb2

Mitas range of tyres

I have been researching the Mitas options (for Yamaha XT600e not BM) and found this site useful for getting my head round the treads and model codes:
http://www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalog/mitas/category/moto/

C-02 rear is a definite (trip to Morocco over Xmas - need the best tyre for all the possibilities Morocco can throw at you).

C17 or C19 for the front... Wulfsport are the best prices so far- forget about Ebay. No bargains there on these tyres.

Back
Top Bottom