Instrument Cluster Light

(RIP) maverick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Noticed the last few evenings when I stop that the light seems to stay on like a dim redish on the instrument cluster :nenau

This is with the keys taken out and in a dark garage I can visibly see the redish tint of the backlight :eek

Anybody else expierenced something like this?

Noticed the last few evenings when I stop that the light seems to stay on like a dim redish on the instrument cluster :nenau

This is with the keys taken out and in a dark garage I can visibly see the redish tint of the backlight :eek

Anybody else expierenced something like this?

Yep - lots of times. Doesn't seem to kill the battery tho, even after being left for a prolonged time.

I think it's to do with moisture getting in to the unit... but I don't know.

I got the feeling he was referring to the back light that lights up the digital readout... but I could be wrong.

Indeed it is not the little led in the middle of the console. That goes on sometimes if I ride in heavy downpours :blast

This looks definitely like the backlight and like Mav said does not kill the battery but it certainly is ON :eek

I had a similar problem after my bike was left for a couple of days covered in snow. The insgtruements lights were dead but when Im put the bike in my unlit garage I noticed the red glow.

After a couple of days the instrument lights started working occasionally and the red glow disappeared. Eventually the instruement lights came back except from one part of the display that never worked again.

Recently sold the bike and got a GSA. I guess the problem was water but I never found out how to get to the lights to dry them out.

Not a helpful post, I know, but you are not alone with the problem. If I have to leave the GSA in snow, at least I know to cover the instruments.

Hi Andy,

My HP2 sleeps in the garage everynight but during the day of course parked in London in the wind and rain. Could be some water ingress and will see if it dries out over xmas when I won't use the bike as much - well not when it is going to be miserable and I can rather sit inside with a beverage warming me up :D

That red LED light is supposed to be there, aside from being used for the option alarm (although I don't know anyone with an HP2 that's got one) it's for the immobilizer as well (the coded ignition keys and ECU).

If it was not working before – could be that the LED light went on the blink or there's a software bug that's been updated since your last service.

It's perfectly normal.

That red LED light is supposed to be there, aside from being used for the option alarm (although I don't know anyone with an HP2 that's got one) it's for the immobilizer as well (the coded ignition keys and ECU).

If it was not working before – could be that the LED light went on the blink or there's a software bug that's been updated since your last service.

It's perfectly normal.

Sorry, for some reason this posted up before I'd finished.

I mean to say, it's perfectly normal that this light comes on, usually when it's really wet. They all do it. It'll stay on if there's an issue with dampness affecting contact anywhere around the dash circuitry. If it bugs you, unplug and remove the dash assembly and take to it with your girlfriends hairdryer or shove it in your airing cupboard for a while, job done. You may want to be a bit more adventurous, take the small screws out and split the casing. Have a good look at the circuits (but don't touch) and remove any corrosion (cotton bud soaked in meths or contact cleaner will do the trick) from the contacts near the LED. Otherwise, put up with it for a while and take the bike out on a nice fine day to dry it out, good excuse for a decent ride anyway.

take to it with your girlfriends hairdryer or shove it in your airing cupboard for a while, job done.

Ermmmm if my wife finds out I have a girlfriend she will shove more than a hairdryer up airing vents :blast :D

This is not that little red led in the middle of the instrument cluster. It is definitely the back light. I will try and do a picture for reference.....now where did I put that tripod......:thumb2

Mav

Did you ever sort this? On my bike recently, red light on all the time and backlighting only covering about have the display unit. I finally got around to taking the thing apart last weekend, bit fiddly but not impossible. Found chunks of corrosion across the circuit board that I carefully cleaned up with contact cleaner and cotton buds. Result is red light is no longer glowing and there's now more backlighting than I had. Still reckon there's 1 LED not working in the sequence though. Now the entire display goes out intermintently :blast Needs more work, possible circuit repair.

Dashdisplay001.jpg

As it got warmer the backlight dissappeared again so guess it was definitely some moist. Now the right hand side light does not go on anymore and think one fo the backlight LED's might have blown :nenau

I did spray all contacts outside the system with some silicon grease but looking at the mould on your circuit board probably worth opening the thing and make sure it is completely dry inside and give it a good dash of contact cleaner/protection spray :mmmm

Did not really spend any more time on it to be honest and will check this weekend when I have some time :thumb2

Could someone please confirm whether the instrument panel shows anything once you pull the keys out of the ignition. The clock and mileage on mine stays on which I am pretty sure used to not show with the keys out of the ignition switched off :eek :nenau

Could someone please confirm whether the instrument panel shows anything once you pull the keys out of the ignition.

Only for a minute or so (enough time for me to open the garage door and get back to the bike)

Okay I think there is something wrong with it now :eek

This morning when I looked at the instrument cluster it showed the time and odo reading as I parked it on Friday after work. When I started it up the whole fecking thing went mental. I now have a fuel guage, temperature and the odo reading is in km's. On top of that apparently there are brake failure on the bike with one of those red achtung things flashing at me :eek

Not sure if I want to try and open it or if I should just stick it in the oven on 50 degrees for couple of hours :D

Not sure if I want to make the call to find out how much a new one is, the extended warranty option seems more and more like the way to go :augie

Mav
I finally got around to taking the thing apart last weekend, bit fiddly but not impossible.

I took the instrument off the bike tonight and opened it up. Definitely got wet inside as I can see some mould on the circuit board on places of what looks like mould.

Gary how did you get the instrument cluster out of the bottom plastic cover? I am not sure if it is glued in or fastened somehow. Don't want to snap it in half :eek

All the different options fire up currently and would like to try and sort it before I go down the route of getting another unit :blast

Back
Top Bottom