Nova Scotia

BillN

Reaction score
Nova Scotia - anyone on the Forum ever been?

Yea - it's really nice. You thinking of doing the Cabot Trail?

Yea - it's really nice. You thinking of doing the Cabot Trail?

A mate of mine lives, (retired) there, he is Canadian, (left the UK in the mid 70s) - thinking of planning a holiday in summer 2010 or 2011 - or maybe a "house swap"

Lots of info on the web and it looks "my kind of place" - we would like to do a tour centered around wildlife, local food a few good restaurants

It sounds perfect for you then. The only thing I'd say is be prepared to do a lot of driving - everywhere is miles away from everywhere else. That's Canadian miles, not UK miles. ;-)

We rented a house just south west of Halifax and I could have stayed for a few months instead of 3 weeks.

The food's good - plenty of Lobster :drool and seafood, although they don't seem to go for tubes and tenticles, so I did a fair amount of gathering myself (great plump mussells)

I thought the wildlife had been hunted to heck - elsewhere in Canada offers much better prospects if it's large wildlife you're after.

Just make sure you don't go back country hiking during the peak of the mozzie season.

Attachments

• DSCN0722.jpg
    DSCN0722.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 192
Spent a few days there at the end of my cross canada drive. Well halfway, I had to drive back to vancouver again afterwards. It was november so a bit chilly but I really liked the place, I can see why they named it nova scotia, really did remind me a lot of scotland. Love place, lots of open space and friendly people.

I preferred the rockies myself but have relatives just over the border in the US in New Brunswick, which is also a lovely place.

Enjoy your trip.

J.

Hi Canuck
I'm looking to emigrate somewhere, good choice?
Pro's and con's???

Many Thanks
SF

Born and raised! If you have any questions let me know!

I grew up in Toronto, but Halifax is still one of my favourite places (and I've nearly covered the world over). I've spent 17 years in Scotland, but Nova Scotia doesn't seem to remind me of anywhere here.

Superb place, I started my Cross Canada trip last summer at Pier 21 then up through Nova Scotia and west. Superb. Scenery, food, people. I love every minute of it. Like some, I also very much like the Calgary and the Rocky Mountains. Hard choice. Would spend a month in Nova Scotia any time.

Hi Canuck
Pro's and con's???

Many Thanks
SF

Awful, no one should move there. No jobs, no money and no prospects... :augie

Or maybe I just want to save it for myself :pullface

pm me your email and I'll answer what I can.

Hi Canuck
Pro's and con's???

Many Thanks
SF

From what I have read

If you are thinking about living there permanently you need to consider the climate from November to about April, including the rainfall figures, (it's wet), snow, (it's cold) and days of mists and fog, (it's foggy for many days of the year according to the stats)

It seems a great place to live if you like the outdoor life, are happy with the climate and can find a job as the costs of living, particularly housing and food are well below certain parts of the UK.

I am only think of a holiday, probably in June, July or August

So are you taking your bike, renting a car, looking to fish, relax by the beach?

If it were I going, I would rent a car and drive around the coast line. You can pull over anywhere you want a pitch a tent... or the country in and suites (hotel chain) are really good value for money which includes breakfast and if I seem to remember from my ice hockey days free movies...

I would recommend August if you want it to be hot... check out what is on in Halifax... the tall ships usually arrive for a few weeks as there is the du maurier jazz festival.

Give me some questions and I can take it from there. Depends what you want to see/do.

So are you taking your bike, renting a car, looking to fish, relax by the beach?

If it were I going, I would rent a car and drive around the coast line. You can pull over anywhere you want a pitch a tent... or the country in and suites (hotel chain) are really good value for money which includes breakfast and if I seem to remember from my ice hockey days free movies...

I would recommend August if you want it to be hot... check out what is on in Halifax... the tall ships usually arrive for a few weeks as there is the du maurier jazz festival.

Give me some questions and I can take it from there. Depends what you want to see/do.

"If it were I going, I would rent a bike and drive around the coast line...". Hotel/motels I found last summer were fine, but would pay the extra to stay in downtown Halifax itself (rather than Dartmouth, or Bedford area north of the city). The Halifax boardwalk, Pier 21 and then Lunenburg should be definite plans for any trip. B&Bs there are tremendous value.

Definately stay in halifax when you are around there as the nightlife is good with lots and lots of restaurants and there is also the buskerfest which happens sometime in August I think. Bedford in like a suburb... nohting else there and dartmouth is dartmouth... so stay in Halifax but not the north end. Lots of hotels... depends on your budget! let me know if you want some help picking a nice one... or two..

Check out bay of Fundy as well.. highest tides on the world...15 metres between high and low tide! :eek:

From what I have read

If you are thinking about living there permanently you need to consider the climate from November to about April, including the rainfall figures, (it's wet), snow, (it's cold) and days of mists and fog, (it's foggy for many days of the year according to the stats)

It seems a great place to live if you like the outdoor life, are happy with the climate and can find a job as the costs of living, particularly housing and food are well below certain parts of the UK.

Sounds like the UK then apart from the housing and cost ofliving bit:augie

Soooo....are you coming?

Where are you at with your planning ?

Might want to check Ridetherock dot com

good info on riding Newfoundland and Labrador

Bunch of guys/gals there can guide you for nice rides and good food

Back
Top Bottom