Crashbars

smudger

Since i'm what you might call "vertically challenged" it seems only a matter of time before I dump my 1150gs on it's side so time to get some crashbars.

as far as i can see the options are

1.BMW ones

2.wunderlich

3. Hepco and becker

or

4. Touratech

I'd appreciate some advice on which ones are good, bad or plain ugly before i part with hard earned cash.

i remember servicing was a problem with one make but can't remember which

thanks all

The ones on the Adventure seem pretty well made, and unbolt to make servicing easy.

Dunno if you can retrofit them to the normal GS, but I don't see why not.

As an aside, I'm glad I'm not the only "vertically challenged" GS rider out there ;)

IMHO

1) Get in the way of servicing

2) Never seen

3) Can be a bitch to fit

4) Bend too easily - lack of protection

Adventure Bars - rub petrol line.

You pays your money.......

I have recently fitted Hepco & Becker bars and am very pleased with them. My local BMW specialsit(James Sherlock) fitted them for me and charged half an hours labour.

I choose them as they wrap around the cylinder heads which I felt offered extra protection over the BMW bars. They do add bulk to the look of the bike and IMHO don't look as prety as the BMW bars. I recenlty had the bike serviced and they do not have to be removed to do the service, I think the BMW bars have to be taken off.

The cost was approx £95 from Motor works I ordered online and the bars came 3 days later.

Andy Cam has the same bars fitted and recently had a low speed off in his back lane and the bars did their job and stood up well to the test.

Hope this helps

Stumpy

Smudger:
Being somebody who's dropped his GS during an off-road excursion (it was somebody else's fault, honest) and having witnessed damage to others who've "dropped" their bikes, I came to the conclusion that in a mild "drop" the most susceptible engine part is the rear of the cylinder head covers, not the front. The wide bars tend to make contact first, levering the bike backwards and damaging the covers, pillion pegs, rear indicators etc.
The black plastic cylinder protectors do a bit of a job but collapse and break very easily (costing nearly £30 each to replace). The magnesium covers themselves are not too expensive, £37 plus VAT. But, if you crack or hole one in a drop you're immobilised.
Bearing all this in mind and after researching every type of crash bar available, I plumped for Hepco and Beckers. Personally, I think they look better than all others except the new Adventure bars (which you can't get hold of, have their own problems with rubbing against hoses, and which require the adventure belly pan to fit). The Hepcos are the only bars where the rear of the cylinders are protected as well as the front. Also, I bought them in the Motobins sale for about £85.
I knew they would be "awkward" to fit. They are an absolute b*****d. They are not made particularly accurately and require a great deal of grunting and heaving to get all three bolts to line up per side. The right side bars on mine were, in fact, impossible to fit without modification. I nearly sent them back but persevered and 5 hours later . . . Fitting is complicated by the fact that all three bolts per side go through parts of the sub-frame. The rear bolt fits through the footpeg hanger which goes through the subframe and into the gearbox housing. The subframe drops when you remove the original bolt. It's easy (no, inevitable) to strip the threads off the new bolt if you don't get everything lined up properly (I trashed two bolts like this). At the front, the subframe holding the cockpit instruments and screen also drops when you remove the original bolts.
Basically, fit these bars with help from a friend (ideally one who's done the job before - it's much easier second time around).
All the other bars seem a lot easier to fit, but having got my Hepco bars on I'm very pleased with them and wouldn't recommend buying others just on the basis that the Hepcos are so awkward (i.e., don't be put off).
I'm going to post some pictures in the next couple of days along with a fitting guide in English (the instructions come in German) for anybody wanting to go the Hepco route.
Hope this helps.
Simon E.

CRASHBARS

MY OPINION,
SIMON IS CORRECT ABOUT THE REAR OF THE CYLINDER HEAD TOUCHING DOWN. I HAVE BMW STAINLESS STEEL CRASHBARS AND WHILST THEY PROBABLY SAVED SOME DAMAGE THE HEADS AND PLASTIC PROTECTORS WERE SCUFFED IN A DROP BY THEIVING BAST*RDS CARRYING THE BIKE.
bARRY.

Yes, avoid BMW bars.

They look OK and will probably add some protection, but they have to be removed to service the bike.

I only have mine because I got 'em cheap (thanks, Chris!)

Greg

Simon ,
from what i've seen of the Hepco & beckers they appear to be in two parts , 1.the engine bars and 2. the tank/console bars is this the case or was i dreaming it.

Smudge

Smudger:
They're two entirely separate packages. If you buy engine bars, you just get the engine bars. Of course, one of the other attractions of Hepcos is that you can add tank bars later if you wish. I've just fitted the engine bars at the moment but wanted the option for later.
Simon

thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help me out with this but I think Simon has probably made up my mind for me. I'm not over-fussed with the tank/console bars from H&B (IMHO they look a bit ugly) so if i can get the engine bars separate then all the better.

Thanks again to everyone

Smudge

Crash Bars - as tested at Nurburgring...

Having recently thrown my Adventure at the road at about 15mph, (Top Tip: - Never, no matter what the temptation, put on a crash helmet that has a wasp in it....), I can heartily recommend the combination of BMW Adventure Crash Bars and Zega boxes. Total damage was limited to scrapes to the bars and the bottom outside edge of the pannier (plus minor scratches to the hand guard). Even the fog lights, spot lights etc escaped without damage.

MikeO:)

wasp - excellent throw away remark

(Top Tip: - Never, no matter what the temptation, put on a crash helmet that has a wasp in it
having been stung recently this has become a paranoia of mine recently.

Got any more tips ? that one had me in stiches.:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hepco fitting instructions

Have got my Hepco and Beckers in the shed ready to fit, but would really appreciate Simon's English fitting guide.... the supplied German instructions don't even have a half decent diagram, and from the look of all the bolts/spacers in the bag, it'll take a while to even work out what goes where.

Bars look V GOOD QUALITY though

Please post engleesh instructions ASAP

Many thanks

Will

Help at hand

Let me know when you've received them as it looks like you're going to need some help fitting them to your bike...and then mine!

:D

OK Smudge and Will, the instructions are done . . . see new thread in the "Technical" section.
I'm trying to find out how to post a .pdf file. Meanwhile, let me have your e-mail addresses and I'll send the file as an attachment.
Glad to be of assistance.
Simon E.
:)

Thanks again simon for the help i've ordered my H&B bars and just awaiting delivery. then i guess the fun really starts.

Is it a problem posting a PDF file or creating it from another doc if it's the latter i'll create the PDF for you and mail it back

Smudge

disregard my last reply simon i've got your PDF which is perfectly clear. (shame H&B can't spend the time to do create similar clear instructions)

I notice you've got some trailwings now .........

If they wear like the ones on my f650gs did watch the front when they've got some miles on. I had two very close calls withthe front letting go.

seeya

Smudge

Thanks for the warning Smudge . . . I don't particularly like Trailwings for all the same reasons, but an "as new" pair for £50 can't be scoffed at. They will be used purely for a hot, sunny, several thousand mile continental blast sometime next year rather than wearing out a new set of Tourances.
Simon
Hope the fitting of your engine bars proves less troublesome than mine.

Back
Top Bottom