i think my engine oil gauge might be broken....

tully

Reaction score
....if it is, and i know this sounds bloody stupid but, until i get it fixed (with a new gauge) how can i find out if the bike has enough oil in it....?

think i'm a bit paranoid cos i now don't know if the gauge is bust or there's just very little oil in the engine, the bike seems to be running fine and no oil warning lights have come on but i need some advice please....?

thanks,

Tully

You don't have an oil level gauge. You have a temperature gauge and an oil pressure light.

You check the engine oil level by looking through the oil sight window on the lower left of your engine.

oil window

i was refering to the circular oil level window on the side of the engine below the left footpeg...? seems to be empty :nenau

i was refering to the circular oil level window on the side of the engine below the left footpeg...? seems to be empty :nenau

Read the manual mate:eek:

Are you looking into it with the engine running or stopped?

is this a serious question tully??

if so,

have you noticed the oil level before now? where was it before? was engine hot or cold?

to top up the oil needs to be about halfway in the sight glass, checked with bike upright on centrestand, and engine warm.

or

again about halfway, engine cold, on centrestand,

each time you check oil you should use the same method.
bear in mind the oil cooler holds alot of oil and will drain down back into the engine, so if you fill to the brim, oil still has to come from there.

this is simple bike maintenance/ understanding, i suggest you get the manual out and read from cover to cover.

hope this helps

harry

The sight glass window does tell lies.. or play silly buggers.

way I've always done the check is:

engine off.. and bike on sidestand.. pop into the house, gear off, make a cuppa.

This allows all the oil to flow down from the cooler.. along the fastest possible route.

After about 10 minutes.. I pull the bike up onto its centre stand.

and the following morning - check the oil glass.. so long as there's oil visible - it's fine.... I might add a drop if the oil is just above the lower ring... enough to raise the level to the centre spot.
Though this isn't usually necessary on my bike from one change to the next.

and thats it.

If you can't wait till morning.. give it a good 15 minutes on the centre stand, before you take a look.

whatever method you use.. stick to that self same method.. otherwise you'll find the level will bounce all over the place.

....if it is, and i know this sounds bloody stupid but, until i get it fixed (with a new gauge) how can i find out if the bike has enough oil in it....?

think i'm a bit paranoid cos i now don't know if the gauge is bust

Tully

just re read this part?

how is it broken? if the glass is broke then you will have oil coming out?

please explain

harry

just re read this part?

how is it broken? if the glass is broke then you will have oil coming out?

please explain

harry

My guess is... he can't see any oil at all.

Had this happen myself.. and flew into a panic (which lasted all of a minute)

I've seen completely empty.. and completely full. even though I know there's just the right amount to cover the centre spot.

think we have all been there at some point tony:rob

still, good to read the manual dont ya think:nenau

circular oil site window / oil level

thanks for your replies, just to let you know it isn't a "wind-up" i had a dakar before which was easy to check the oil on, i've had this bike about 2 months (read both manuals cover to cover :thumb) and remember the oil was exactly half way up the round oil site window when i bought the bike and also as recently as 4 weeks ago but, i haven't been out much recently and have just started to use the bike to commute everyday so i want to keep it in good order.

i know about the time it takes the oil to drain back into the sump and i know that it must be checked in the same way each time and i always leave it a couple of hours after running the bike to check the oil and i always do this on the centre stand each time. i am no expert but i know the site window was working and now it shows no sign of oil at all - however it does not appear to be boken or cracked - to the naked eye at least.......

it looks as though i'll need to order a new oil site window, just need to find a nice chap to fit it for me.......:hide

Tully, you dont need a new window, just put a little oil in at a time untill the oil level is in the center of the glass:thumb2

Fer goodness' sake - "I can't see oil in my sight glass therefore I need a new sight glass"

Has the world gone completely mad?????

FFS get a grip, man.

Fer goodness' sake - "I can't see oil in my sight glass therefore I need a new sight glass"

Has the world gone completely mad?????

FFS get a grip, man.

Now come on.. the chaps only had his GS for 8 weeks.

The glass may or may not need replacing.. how can we tell without actually seeing the thing?

Its quite possible he's had some water build up in the oil.. which has emulsified a little and is obscuring the glass.. it happens. OK... so a good run will normally clear that.. but a new owner who can't see an oil level will obviously be wary of doing anything without ensuring there's enough oil in the sump.

Wonder how he has managed to run the bike for 8 weeks without putting any fuel in it....

All those choices, diesel, unleaded, super-unleaded:confused:

Back
Top Bottom