Christmas Present

ncpierce

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

My parents are asking the normal question about what I want for Christmas. Since I tend to buy what I need when I want it I can't think of anything apart from pants and socks :augie

I then had a thought. I could do with some new tyres etc for the X-Challenge.

At the moment it is shod with Mezeler Sahara 3 - as supplied by BMW.

I do most of my off roading in the Surrey/Hampshire area and the bike is generally only used for laning, getting to the lanes, with the occasional commute (7miles each way) to the office.

So what I would like is recommendations for the following:-
  • New Tyres
  • Tubes
  • Tyre Levers (any other tools I might need) - ideally to carry on the bike with me just in case

At the moment I have nothing to change the tyres with and do not carry a spare tube with me :eek:

Thanks in anticipation.

Nigel

No replies as yet :comfort

I have been doing some investigating.

It seems that Mitas Tyres get a good review as a general all round tyre.

Will a Mitas C02 in 120/90-18" fit the 2.5x18" rim and replace the 140/80/18"?

Front tyre - seem to be looking at a C19 in 90/90-21"

Thanks

Nigel

Hi,

My parents are asking the normal question about what I want for Christmas. Since I tend to buy what I need when I want it I can't think of anything apart from pants and socks :augie

I then had a thought. I could do with some new tyres etc for the X-Challenge.

At the moment it is shod with Mezeler Sahara 3 - as supplied by BMW.

I do most of my off roading in the Surrey/Hampshire area and the bike is generally only used for laning, getting to the lanes, with the occasional commute (7miles each way) to the office.

• New Tyres
  • Tubes
  • Tyre Levers (any other tools I might need) - ideally to carry on the bike with me just in case

At the moment I have nothing to change the tyres with and do not carry a spare tube with me :eek:

Thanks in anticipation.

Nigel

Are you asking what we think your parents should buy you for christmas ?
if so whats your age and whats the budget? :nenau

or are you asking what one of those three things we think you might like best for christmas from your parents? :nenau

Stick with the 140 rear.......... it's a heavy bike and puts out over 50hp

MT21's I like

• New Tyres
  • Tubes

Thanks in anticipation.

Nigel

Tubes: Get the ultra heavy duty ones (really thick), the XCH is a heavy bike, and there's bound to be the odd occassion where the front hits something hard enough to make you wince. You might want to get a couple of bottles of "slime" to put in them as well.

Tyres: MT21's seem to be "ideal" (even though i still think they are shyte in the mud), but help yourself by fitting rim locks so you can run much lower pressures.

Both of the above should help reduce the need for:

tyre levers. I've got these from racespec http://www.racespec.co.uk/acatalog/Tools_1.html

Look at the third set down. I haven't managed to bend them yet.

The lever with the socket on the end looks like a cracking bit of kit:)

HTH

Nathan

Well,

Tyre levers and tubes were ordered from WeMoto and the tyres from dirtbikebitz. All arrived just before Christmas.

Spent an energetic 2hrs this afternoon - on my parents kitchen floor :augie - fitting the new tyres. Its easy once you get the hang of it.

Now just need to get out on some lanes to see if there is an improvement.

Nigel

Well,

Tyre levers and tubes were ordered from WeMoto and the tyres from dirtbikebitz. All arrived just before Christmas.

Spent an energetic 2hrs this afternoon - on my parents kitchen floor :augie - fitting the new tyres. Its easy once you get the hang of it.

Now just need to get out on some lanes to see if there is an improvement.

Nigel

What tyres did you end up going for?

No replies as yet :comfort

I have been doing some investigating.

It seems that Mitas Tyres get a good review as a general all round tyre.

Will a Mitas C02 in 120/90-18" fit the 2.5x18" rim and replace the 140/80/18"?

Front tyre - seem to be looking at a C19 in 90/90-21"

Thanks

Nigel

Mitas C02 in 120/90/18 size is very simmilar in width to 140/80/18 Pirelli MT21 . Knobs height is bigger on Mitas (so check clearance between tire and rear shock plastic cover - on un- and compressed rear continental air dumper)

I made similar 3000km trips on one and another.

Mitas C02 is road aproved MX tire. Its made from quite hard rubber compound and a result is that on wet tarmac you should be extra cautious.
Plus is that wears really slowly.

Pirelli MT21 is a great adventure tire. I would recomend it for adventure travel style with many offroad sections.

If you would like I can find a while to take photos of both of them.

Regards
Lucas

http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge#

What tyres did you end up going for?

On the advice of others I went for the MT21.

Had a slight problem on the way home with the speedo not functioning properly. Have now solved that by re-tightening the bolt that holds the sensor in the correct place :blast whoever dropped the wheel our last time - probably Vines last year - never tightened it back up properly.

Back
Top Bottom