Fuel filter

wreck diver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,I want to change the fuel filter on my 1150 GS.
Not having done one before,are there any tips or pitfalls.Or is it straight forward.Thanks.:)

Hi,I want to change the fuel filter on my 1150 GS.
Not having done one before,are there any tips or pitfalls.Or is it straight forward.Thanks.:)

Its a little fiddly but ok, but getting the O ring to seat properly is a bit of a bugger!! Dont forget to do it on an emptyish tank:D

Make sure the tank is as empty as possible.
Wise to have an "O" ring for the pump-plate on hand along with a couple of clamps for the fuel pipes (use ones suitable for fuel injection pipes).
Dont force the pump-plate retaining nuts or you may break the studs.WD40 them and clean the threads properly.
The filter has the flow direction marked on it.
Mark the 2 pipes to the fuel distributor or the bike wont fire up if you refit the wrong way round.
Probably also worth making sure the overflows aren't blocked.
After you refit the tank,check throttle cable seating.

Do it quick and you'll not have any trouble with fitting the large O ring. Have the fuel level showing 2 bars or less.

Smear little bit of grease on both stubs of the new filter before you start.

I stand the tank upright inbetween my knees, Get the pump out of the tank, don't remove it, just lever the clamp off one end of the old filter and pull the filter off the other one. Fit new filter using the old clamps and snap them tight with curved mole grips.
Smear of grease in three places in the O ring channel in tank, put large O ring into it ( the grease will hold it in place) and re-insert fuel pump and reseat cover. The cover should sit flat with just hand pressure, and do up the six nuts - not too tight.

Takes about 10 minutes. :D

Back
Top Bottom