any battery info would be welcome : 1150 GS

sword

Reaction score
The battery on my 2003 1150 gshas failed me and I would appreciate advice on replacing it.I priced one in joe duffy's and it came in at 138 euros incl vat .Is this not a bit steep and are there any alternatives?As I need the bike every day I need to move quickly so any advice would be welcome. Thank you

How do you know the battery's failed? Just checking that putting it on a battery charger for a couple of hours didn't help.... (the cheap option)

Motorworks / Motobins do them for about £60. I can't think the postage would be the same as that to get it to Eire. That's for the same as the one that was originaly fitted by BM.

An odyssey one would be best. I bought mine for my 1150 last year from Nippy Normans. It was about £79 from memory and came with the terminals you need. It should last a lot longer than other types.

Cheers, Colin.

Search Odyssey in the Ireland forum. Buy at Molloys.
I left one at home from end July to mid-November and the bike still started. 1150GS.

Where's the test that shows that?

they cost more.. so 'must be' better.. of course. :augie

Me? I'm not convinced and will be putting a new EXIDE gel battery in my old tractor later in the week.. lead/acid VARTA in place now is on its way out after 4 years. Previous GEL lasted 6.. and only died because the Bike was stood for almost a year.

Plenty of anecdotal evidence from owners in the 11xx technical section of the OEM Exide lasting 8,9 and 10 years. (that's good enough for me)

Thumbs up for the Odyssey PC680 mine is now 7 years old and still going strong

OEM Exide gel for me.

Got mine from Motorworks. I have a feeling that Odyssey batteries are a bit 'snake oil' and I don't see the pint of paying extra for a battery that 'doesn't quite fit' and performs and lasts no better than the OEM gel :nenau

Check out MDS Battery but don't buy the one listed unless you can source battery acid.

They also offer a Lucas(??) battery for the 1150GS that comes with a sealed acid pack and can be posted. It's actually cheaper than the listed battery + acid.

Greg

I am very happy with my OE battery as well. 6 years and >57,000 miles including a lot of short journeys and still going strong.

I will probably replace like for like when the time comes and hope that the battery spec is as good as it was in 2003 although that is unlikely if my experience of traction batteries for fork lift trucks is anything to go by:(.

Mines just let me down too so just had a look at Nippy Normans- £99 and thats special offer :eek:

Since fitting my bike with an odyssey battery I have not seen those alternating ABS lights :thumb2
Stewart

Standard battery just as good as anything IMHO.
I had to replace mine twice in 7 years and the second time was to put a nice new battery on for the new owner when I sold the bike a few months ago so it should be good for another 3-4yrs.

I think the OEM battery is actually a re-badged Varta and I have the part number at home if you want it.

:thumb

Find your local battery wholesale supplier in Dublin and buy from them. My 8 year old oem lead acid batttery in my r1150gs is still going but I've replaced the one in my old mzskorpion for £13.47 inc vat instead of £37.00 from a bike shop.

From this place

UK Batteries Ltd Battery Suppliers
Tel: 028 9046 0566| Unit 7, Ravenhill Business Park, Belfast, County Antrim BT6 8AW

A lead acid battery for a R1150gs will set you back £29.47 inc Vat.

Where's the test that shows that?

Woo, strong feelings about batteries !

My BMW one just about lasted 4 years as I kept the bike in a barn which was dry but cold in winter. That did for the battery IMHO. I have no evidence apart from the claims of Odyssey but wanted something which would last a long time. At £79 it was cheaper than the BMW one from Cannons.

Ciao, Colin.

My BMW one just about lasted 4 years as I kept the bike in a barn which was dry but cold in winter. That did for the battery IMHO.

Cold is better than warm - the chemical reactions are slower when it's cold.

Apart from physical damage, what does batteries in is time spent in a less than 100% charged condition. Use an Optimate - my OE battery lasted nearly 10 years.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom