Looking to Get a G450

peterg

Just old my KTM 250, an am looking at getting a new bike.

Was looking at another KTM, but saw these G450X bikes.

Any advice and reviews on you chaps that have one. I am looking at 2nd hand.

Using it for laning and not competition. Just the resale doesnt look too good!!

Many Thanks

Peter.

Peter

Check out my "first thoughts" thread below

I have 2 KTMs (450 & 250) & now a BMW as well - I've jhad it a few weeks longer now & am still as impressed - very stable & easy to ride (especially when stood on the pegs)

Still lacks the instant punch of my 450 KTM when I give it a handful - but very highly recommended

PM me with any specific questions
ta

Peter

Still lacks the instant punch of my 450 KTM when I give it a handful - but very highly recommended

I have the same feeling that the reaction to the throttle is just a little slow, at least at low revs. The power is there but just a little slow execution when you need to lighten the front...

a ktm has a powerpunch, but i dont find it nice, i like a liniar power line.

if you ride with the standard 15/48 yes it is slow a bit.
if you have 14/48 14/50 its not slow at all its contrellable

Jahwan has it exactly right ....... it's just missing the ability of an instant lift of the front if you want to jump over a pothole etc

It's not the power..... I think it's actually got more than my 450 KTM.... it's the instant response & the torque that's just not quite there as it is with the KTM

I will try a diff front & rear sprocket combo when I'm next due a change to try & cure this!

I have the same feeling that the reaction to the throttle is just a little slow, at least at low revs. The power is there but just a little slow execution when you need to lighten the front...

You have to remember the BMW is a new bike so it will take time. There is a new 2010 computer down load for the bike which should help throttle reaction.

Having ridden a G450X for the first time a couple of weeks ago, the lack of instant punch was also in my mind.

I assumed that it was because the bike has a heavy flywheel effect, but it could be due to the FI mapping. The power is certainly there but nowhere near as instant as on my 'Berg.

Greg

the 2010 engine dowlload is that availble for the 2009 models?

it cures the heavy engine brake wich is very heavy, not the throtlle respons.

before we compare the g450x with a exc ore Husaberg, firts look at the gearing.

if the exc has 13/51 then its not fair to compare it with g450x 14/48.....

i find atleast no problem to lift the bike over a puthole. 14/48 and wil change to 14/50 because i never ride the topspeed (140+ with 14/48)and on the mx track then i just put it in 3th gear and can go around the track:augie, and with steep hillclimbs a little more controlle

Is it me or does the 450 look a little exposed around the front of the engine, has anyone experienced damage etc?

I really like the look but am a bit hesitent at the moment.

You have to remember the BMW is a new bike so it will take time. There is a new 2010 computer down load for the bike which should help throttle reaction.

Have you updated yours with the new map? Noticed any difference? It's not available yet from the dealer.

Have you updated yours with the new map? Noticed any difference? It's not available yet from the dealer.
No the new disk has not arrived at the dealer, but as soon as it does I'll get it loaded.

I'm waiting to try out the new 2010 450 seat as I may up date to the new seat if the padding is better or I'm going to buy a pair of padded cycle shorts. I know I need them for my g650xc:eek: as the seat is too hard for adventure riding.

I'm happy with mine

Enhancements to the base model which have made it a better bike for me.

Scorpion end can, power commander, power plug, disconnect 02 sensor.

Response now as sharp as my old ktm520 without the scary headshake.

Bar risers, pivot pegs and a larger sump guard.

sorted.

Sometimes known to overtake 450 bergs in the spanish mountains !

@ greg: i try,d to say, shit you have 14/48 as well so that should not be a difference for the power respons.......and i hit myself for the head because i didn,t saw that one comming...

With my remus exhaust an full power in i find it a very nic3 bike.
this week the suspension is setup and tuned revalved etc. fot my weight an driving skills/speed.(captain slow)

No the new disk has not arrived at the dealer, but as soon as it does I'll get it loaded.

I'm waiting to try out the new 2010 450 seat as I may up date to the new seat if the padding is better or I'm going to buy a pair of padded cycle shorts. I know I need them for my g650xc:eek: as the seat is too hard for adventure riding.

My dealer (UK) said they could not remap the 450 - it would need to go back to the factory. Is that BS?

Will be getting the 2010 seat also - stepped.

Back
Top Bottom