Strange tickover problem with the X Challenge!

• Thread starter tangerine0072000
  • Start date

tangerine0072000

Hi all,

Went off roading earlier today, nice and muddy after all that rain !.

After 10 mins, my bike wouldn't tick over, I had to keep restarting it and had to keep the revs high in order to avoid stalling it.

Then struggled to ride it home keeping the revs high. I took it to the jet wash to give it a good rinse. Started it back up and my tickover was back (though hesitating), how wiered is that ?

I'm stuggling for an explanation for this, does my bike not like getting dirty ? any ideas ? :confused:

Did you loose the tick over after a restart?
If it's like the Dakar I had, you have to start on a closed throttle, otherwise the "electronic brainy bits" read position and assume this is closed. Further closure from here stops tickover.
Easily sorted by restarting with a closed throttle (like after you washed it?)
:nenau

well from what I remember it wouldn't start unless I opened the throttle.

I started the bike this morning, was working fine, drove to 'off road site', about 6 miles, then after 10 mins of off-roading, (muddy but no deep water) I lost the tick over and had to restart.

From there on in I was fighting with it. Everytime I let go of the throttle it would stall.

Your throttle idle control,next to tps is probably faulty,i've gone through three of them and now with no warranty have adjusted idle up on cable/body pivot.They do not like deep mud/water,probably hate jetwashing even more.
Plug it in to BMW or GS911 diagnostic and you may be suprised at the number of times it faulted if it is the culprit,it is an intermittent thing until it finally fails.

Try this!

I suspect it's a software problem. I know it's not really the answer ... but when I was on the off road course in Wales, I kept having the same problem on the first day. Bike kept losing its ability to tickover, and I had to keep restarting it. Discovered by chance that it cleared up by turning the ignition off and removing the key, and after a brief wait, restarting. It happened once again that day, but armed with this procedure, I was able to clear the problem.

On the next day I was lucky - the problem didn't recur.

I'm guessing completely, but it felt a bit like a problem you might get with a PC - try rebooting!

I must admit, when I had the problem I didn't remove the key from the ignition, I just simply hit the start button.

When I took it for a jet wash I removed the key whilst fetching the ticket.

Shame I didn't think of that when I was off road.:rolleyes:

Have you got the uprated battery on your bike (this is a free recall if you haven't?)

I had several starting and running issues with mine, and couldn't work out what the problem was. The battery was replaced (i think bmw uprated it), and i haven't had a problem since.

My bike wouldn't start on a closed throttle either when it was playing up, and sometimes, especially after a lot of stalls, when the battery gets a hammering it wouldn't start at all.

HTH

Nathan

Back
Top Bottom