bevel box output bearing

ogri-nic

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHH!!!!!

bearing has gone and taken oil seal with it... not a great problem, but i think this is the first time that its had to come apart......:mad:

13 years and 85000 miles means it dont want to:eek:

what a pain in the a*r*s*e

If you have any suggestions short of crowbar, sledge, plastic explosive or a combination of the above:bow

Not clear what problem you have ?

Undo the eight allen bolts and the cover comes off with a light tap :nenau

Not clear what problem you have ?

Undo the eight allen bolts and the cover comes off with a light tap :nenau

your definition of a light tap must be harder than mine, as it aint shifting....

tried tapping it round by the lugs and just off, but it aint moved, going out with hot air gun to heat the metal up now.....

Bolt the rear wheel back in place and try hitting the tyre, or push the bike off the center stand. :D

I suggest putting 4 bolts back in a few turns, to catch it when it does go Bam!

Bring it to the workshop if you need to,just give me a bell first to make sure I'm about.

I have a very large hammer to tap it with:augie

Wow,

The very same thing happened to me there on Tuesday last, bearing went and blew the seal. Big pool of dirty oil on my drive.....

2000 1150gs with 60000 kilometers on the clock.

The casing that is held on with the 8, 7mm allen bolts is what I think you are talking about?
I just tapped mine with a mallet on the "mickey mouse ears" and it came right away.

The problem I had was removing the u/s bearing.
Two lads and a blow torch all evening couldn't remove it. Had to bring it to the local engineering place to remove it from the crown wheel, and he had to grind the inner race off.....

Good luck with it.

The problem I had was removing the u/s bearing.
Two lads and a blow torch all evening couldn't remove it. Had to bring it to the local engineering place to remove it from the crown wheel, and he had to grind the inner race off.....Good luck with it.

Cured a similar problem with two old chisels and a bearing puller, oh and get a bigger hammer:augie
P1000752.jpg

Well eventually the bike is back on the road.
with a very big thanks to Vern:clap:bow:bow

after 85000 miles and 13 years the cover had basically welded itself to the bevel box and part sheared when removed after heat and gentle persuation:augie

it only took this long due to xmas, van going wrong and weather making it too cold to want to lie on garage floor fixing it.

again thanks Vern.

Bearing

Thats good to hear. :bounce1

Did you have any trouble removing the old bearing?

Or any trouble with leaks afterwards?

There was a slight weep from mine for a few days after replacing the bearing......

Back
Top Bottom