DAYLIGHT MOT

My E came with a daytime MOT from a bloke in Lancashire.. First time I'd heard of it.
No relevance over here though:aidan

i have one on my track bike :thumb2 its good to be able to test it before traveling hundreds of miles only to find its not running properly ,,, the only requirements are a number plate and a horn ,,,,along with your mot certificate you should be issued with an advisory that there are no lights fitted to the bike simples

only prob,
put lights on afterwards and you need to re-mot

I thought y'still needed a brake light on anything over a certain CC - 125?

:nenau

"Vehicle designed for off rod use, ground clearance over (cant remember) centimetres and not capable of carrying a passenger" = no lights required.

I checked with the centre manager in advance (remember MOT centres in Northern Ireland are government places, not local garages) and he told me to fit a horn, not even mirrors are required! I fitted a mirror from a kids Barbie push bike because its hard to ride without one, it cost £4.

If you want to do a scrambler (no battery) then get an Ebay internal battery horn for £13 or fit a rubber bulb trumpet, they qualify too as no sound is measured, sadly you are not allowed to shout “HONK”.

Helping my pal do a supermoto converted scrambler next so the red necks can go up to the Lisburn Road for Sunday brunch soon! (for non-Belfast folk this is the posh part with yummy mummy cafes everywhere) We will be wearing wellies.

Exhaust noise test is by ear and the vehicle "must not be louder than a similar vehicle of similar age", so if there are no other DRZ400's (or whatever) in the test centre that day then you are sorted!

Prior to getting mine done a while back, I spoke with the tester and he offered me a day licence, but I would have had to disconnect all lights and take off or cover over.
No need for mirrors, indicators (the 400E does not come with them anyways)
Even the speedo does not have to work as long as one is fitted!
All it needs is an 'Audible warning instrument'.

Couldn't be bothered so got a full one.:augie

if you follow it to the max, no lighting switches should be present also,,

also ground cleasance is not an issue for an mot, you can mot road bikes too, (people mot their track use bikes too,)

I just think its brilliant that an agency like this is being helpful and showing some common sense. Maybe some of them could get transferred to other government departments….

mots are actually easier in most respects than 5 years ago

..... If you want to do a scrambler (no battery) then get an Ebay internal battery horn for £13 or fit a rubber bulb trumpet, they qualify too as no sound is measured ...........

I was told many years ago, by a policeman, that a rubber bulb trumpet was not legal as the horn must emit a constant, continual noise.

I was told many years ago, by a policeman, that a rubber bulb trumpet was not legal as the horn must emit a constant, continual noise.

bulb horns only before 1973,,, but not all testers follow this:augie

Back
Top Bottom