travel insurance recommendations

de crowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a travel insurance company/broker.

I am looking to get an annual family multi-trip policy which covers in addition to the usual stuff , repatriation etc. in the event of an accident occurring whilst holidaying, including whilst motorcycling.

I had the Carol Nash Travel policy for last year, but it was about as useful as tits on a bull. You would die somewhere waiting for them to discover who actually provides the cover. I had occasion last year to utilize the cover, and I got probably 10 different UK numbers from Carol Nash supposedly being the assistance/claim number with the insurance provider. Having called the differing telephone numbers provided, none of the companies knew anything about the Carol Nash policy.

I secured a claim for about six months later and at that stage simply gave up.

My concern is that if you are lying in a hospital in spain/morocco wherever and you need repatriation home, you need reliable and efficient service, not to be met with useless "customer services" operators who can't even provide you with the right telephone number.

I have of course ventilated all this to the various telephone operators I spoke to in Carol Nash and sent emails to back up. Amazingly I am getting calls wondering why I have NOT renewed my travel policy with Carol Nash!

Anyway and recommendation would be appreciated.

I looked at the AA policy and it identifies various grades of hazardous activity, motorcycling did not appear to be listed at all.

Happy new Year

Last edited:
I think I went with trailfinders policy last year as it covered me on the bike. It was spendy, around €300 for myself and the wife but covered me on a two month bike tour of the USA

I think I went with trailfinders policy last year as it covered me on the bike. It was spendy, around €300 for myself and the wife but covered me on a two month bike tour of the USA

thanks for that

I use Direct Travel on an annual policy which covers both skiing(off-piste) and motorcycling. I have had a claim and they were very helpful.

www.direct-travel.co.uk

Worth getting a quote !

Edit: OOPS - just noticed the post is in the section for foreigners. It's insurance, you will suffer pain.
I'll leave this bit as people living in the first world might find it useful

http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/ - I've used them in the past as they don't load the premiums for minor medical conditions. Cover motorcycle usage without a cc limit.

I have not had to make a claim fortunately. However, they have had good reports here and elsewhere.

Note: you have a single point of contact when overseas, which operates 24/7

Checking their website, I see the name of the underwriter has changed from AIG to Chartis. AIG is a US company that had to be bailed out by Obama and they have obviously rebranded to Chartis in the UK to try to disassociate from the tainted name[1]. The policy wording about motorcycles remains unchanged.

[1] whether the AIG name is tainted more by the financial crisis or its association with Man Utd, I'll let the reader decide

Last edited:
AA

Con, I used this shower this year. When I got a skiing injury in February, they were worse than useless. Had to get expensive physio when I got home. Was told this cost would be covered only if I was treated where I was on holiday ! !

Been using American Express for the last few years. Never had to claim, but the price and policy looks decent.

DIRECT TRAVEL . .

. .just checked - for U.K. residents only

SAGA INSURANCE . .

. . have tried to complete their online application form but it baulks since I do not have a postcode to enter.

. Had to get expensive physio when I got home. Was told this cost would be covered only if I was treated where I was on holiday ! !

That's normal with every travel policy. Discovered this about 7 years back with a similar sking injury. They will cover you till you land home. After that you're on your own.

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance company/broker.

www.getcover.ie specalise in holiday insurance from one day to long term. They're based in Dublin
I got a "Hazardous Categories Category 2" policy that covers big bikes.
They're underwritten by AXA with a direct 24 hour emergency number in the UK given.
I've never had to make a claim though

Here's the policy docs
http://www.getcover.ie/pdfs/travel-policy-document.pdf

Con, I used this shower this year. When I got a skiing injury in February, they were worse than useless. Had to get expensive physio when I got home. Was told this cost would be covered only if I was treated where I was on holiday ! !

Sorry, but that is a standard feature of most travel insurance covers. They are designed to treat you while you are away on your travels and, if necessary, to get you home. Nothing more nothing less. What they are not is any kind of a 'Permanent health' or 365 /365 Personal Accident cover, though you can of course buy them, separately.

It would be no different had you broken say your leg in your home country on the way to your holiday. You might well be able to claim for the loss of your holiday expenses (pre-booked travel, hotels etc.) but probably not for the operation to mend your leg in your home country and the follow-up physio care....

If you want maximum value from your travel policy, consider injuring yourself abroad, get operated on abroad and don't come home....;) Watch the policy limits, though....:augie

For what it is worth, I have claimed twice under an AA Travel policy and once under their European Motor Breakdown policy. Excellent service every time.

www.getcover.ie specalise in holiday insurance from one day to long term. They're based in Dublin
I got a "Hazardous Categories Category 2" policy that covers big bikes.
They're underwritten by AXA with a direct 24 hour emergency number in the UK given.
I've never had to make a claim though

Here's the policy docs
http://www.getcover.ie/pdfs/travel-policy-document.pdf[/QUOTE]

thanks for this and all the other replies guys.

Travel insurance

Been using VHI for years covers the usual stuff, easy to check if you have health insurance . Costs € 50 per year.

As\for postal codes; try using your phone area pre fix , works on US sites worth a try, or even birthdays has worked for me in the past appeared with the delivery address !!

VHI

if hou have VHI you just pay the extra for travel cover and about their only bargain , it is underwritten by the big french travel company Euro....
it has brought back vans from Western Sahara and from Hungary

pg

Back
Top Bottom