Fork clamp - rounded bolt - help !

• Thread starter tangerine0072000
  • Start date

tangerine0072000

Hi all,

I was in the process of lowering my front forks the other day to try and lower the back an extra inch as I'm only 5ft 10/11.

I got to the last bolt and slipped with the allan key which resulted in rounding the nut. Now I can't do anything with this nut. Luckily I didn't undo it so I simply tightened the others up.

Any one got any ideas how I can get this out ?

thanks,:)

I have had success in the past by hammering a torx bit into the rounded hex head and then turn that with a socket (or if you can manage, an impact driver) might help you out...

I have had success in the past by hammering a torx bit into the rounded hex head and then turn that with a socket (or if you can manage, an impact driver) might help you out...

the way to go. probably won't need the impact driver.

I've had that many attempts at getting it out its almost perfectly rounded now.

Was thinking of getting someone to weld the allen key to the bold so I could at least get it undone and replaced. Do you reckon that would work ?

I would go with a slightly oversized Torx. And apply a steady pressure.
The last time this happened to me I also tightened the nut ever so slightly to allow the Torx to bite in a bit.

If the TORX method does not work you may try hammering a slightly smaller hex socket over the outside of the bolt head.
The welding of the allen key may work or you could just weld a new nut to the allen head and use a socket to remove it.
Whatever you do, let some WD40 soak well in first.

If the TORX method does not work you may try hammering a slightly smaller hex socket over the outside of the bolt head.
The welding of the allen key may work or you could just weld a new nut to the allen head and use a socket to remove it.
Whatever you do, let some WD40 soak well in first.

The heat and expansion from welding is usually enough to break loose any corrosion that has formed. I would be surprised if it doesn't come out easily once you have welded a nut or allen key on there.

I did have the same problem with one of mine and hammering in a larger torx bit and using an impact driver freed it off so try that first.

WD40 is not the best penetrant and release agent, find a local supplier of PLUSGAS and use that instead.

Failing that drill a pilot hole down the centre of the bolt and try an easy-out.

You could also tighten the bolt next to it (be really careful not to slip this time), which should help reduce the load on your problem bolt and ease abstraction.

Back
Top Bottom