Recommend me a thumper

SamD

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new trail bike. Here are my requirements:

1. Must be relatively light - I crash a lot so I don't want to be picking up a heavy bike all the time :D

2. Must be capable of 70mph on the roads to the trails without screaming it's head off

3. Must have reasonable service intervals or be easy to home service (I am talking oil/filters/brakes, I'd likely get valve clearances done by someone who knows what they are doing)

4. Not to much of an animal!

5. Erm, that's it....

Open to suggestions :thumb

Oh and things I've looked at so far (with very little conclusion so far!) are:

1. Kawa KLX 250
2. Yamaha WR250R
3. DRZ-400e
4. KTM 250 EXC-F
5. KTM 400 EXC

And budget wise it's flexible for the right bike...

I'm doing much the same thing have looked at the Yamaha thought that was nice, did also look at the yamaha 450... had a little go...:eek: bit quicker than I could think...:blast

I'm doing much the same thing have looked at the Yamaha thought that was nice, did also look at the yamaha 450... had a little go...:eek: bit quicker than I could think...:blast

The WR250R is very nice - looked at it today, but it's damn expensive :eek

What else have you considered?

I was also looking at the KTM400 and the bloke at the KTM center had a nice looking 525 in but that was also lots of bike... anything that looks nice seems to be lots of money, I saw a 250 yamaha in a little bike shop down my way but it looked like it had been raped...

and still a pile on nelson's high enough to stack up to 1100 quid.

will keep looking will probably end up with a Yamaha but it's all in the air as I need to work just abit harder and stop being such a lazy slacker

I had a KTM 250 EXC-F which was cracking off road, just a mountain bike with an engine. But, it was like a mobile vasectomy on the way from Kingston to the Surrey lanes so you'll need a trailer or a Dave Cooper rack for your car. Next time I'd think about an xChallenge.

I had a KTM 250 EXC-F which was cracking off road, just a mountain bike with an engine. But, it was like a mobile vasectomy on the way from Kingston to the Surrey lanes so you'll need a trailer or a Dave Cooper rack for your car. Next time I'd think about an xChallenge.

That's good to know, I'd have a fair bit further to go to get the the Surrey lanes. I like the XChallenge, but I think it would be too heavy for me....

Xchallenge would be good and Vines will have the old ORS from wales they are always good value for money... and plenty preloved so not so painful when you throw it on the floor....

Xchallenge would be good and Vines will have the old ORS from wales they are always good value for money... and plenty preloved so not so painful when you throw it on the floor....

I drove past Vines today for a look, but sadly they didn't bother to open today :(

Might give them a call tomorrow and see what they have......

ask for duncan and mention the referral from me and I'll spilt the bung with you if you buy a bike...:thumb2

there's got to be an angle I've bought more bikes and cars from that dealership than anyone I know...:blast

No x challenges ime afraid as the ORS has kept hold of them this year as BMW have stopped making them, they have the 450's but i think they are after about £4000 for them, have a look on the www.vdsr.co.uk site, there is a chap selling a nice looking Husqavarna TE450 for £1850, looks like a nice bike.
Other suggestions for your list, what about CCM 404 DS / E, Suzuki drz engine, better suspension and a bit cheaper than the drz?:thumb2

Hi All,

What sort of money are we talking for a Wales pre loved!!!??????

No x challenges ime afraid as the ORS has kept hold of them this year as BMW have stopped making them

Bugger :(

How about the XCountry? Is it any good? Capable as an off-roader with mods? I think the 450x would be a little much bike for my abilities :(

thumper.jpg

Back
Top Bottom