Oh Liv! Can I have a hand please love? Norway mapping.

AdamA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a quickie. ;)

(Or anyone else that knows can help, ta.)

On Gule Slider maps, can you tell me what the different roads and tracks represented are please?

For instance here:
You have the yellow, E16, the red 51, the dull red back roads and then the thin grey lines and dashed lines. Then if you zoom in one level there is smaller white dashes. And if you move slightly east a bright yellow dotted line (which I am fairly certain is a ski track).

What do they all represent and which of these are legal to ride and which aren't? If you would be so kind. Thanks. :)

(Yeah i know, should have asked this before we went but we thought it might be an idea to know where to not get caught next time. ;) )

Just a quickie. ;)

(Or anyone else that knows can help, ta.)

On Gule Slider maps, can you tell me what the different roads and tracks represented are please?

For instance here:
You have the yellow, E16, the red 51, the dull red back roads and then the thin grey lines and dashed lines. Then if you zoom in one level there is smaller white dashes. And if you move slightly east a bright yellow dotted line (which I am fairly certain is a ski track).

What do they all represent and which of these are legal to ride and which aren't? If you would be so kind. Thanks. :)

(Yeah i know, should have asked this before we went but we thought it might be an idea to know where to not get caught next time. ;) )

I'll help! :roll
-Can I do it tomorrow? You are not in the Norwegian wood somewhere right now, freezing the family juvels off, are you? :nenau ;)

:) Liv.

Gule Sider = Yellow Pages. Kart = Map.

-What does the lines and dots mean?

I start with this:
http://www.gulesider.no/kart/#lat=6...&route=c_Z0GTKM5F&routeType=fastest&tab=route

Pink dotted line: A border.
White dotted line: A path/track for walking. Normally it is really hard work and not legal to ride a motorbike on those paths/tracks.
And you can see the lines for telling you the shape of the landscape - it help to find out if it is steep or not.

I'll be back for more soon! :angel

Rodger so far and thanks. :)
I take it the border is of an administrative area?

Rodger so far and thanks. :)
I take it the border is of an administrative area?

Correct.
No visa from your embassy needed! :p
It say ''kommunegrense'', and a kommune are smaller then a fylke. Many kommune in each fylke.
Akershus, Hedmark, Hordaland, Sogn og Fjordane, Nordland = are examples for fylke.

From the first map I got this:
http://www.gulesider.no/kart/#lat=6...&route=c_Z0GTKM5F&routeType=fastest&tab=route

I can see a car = it is possible to drive a car there in summer. :)
But we do not know from the map if it is a toll road (= possible and legal) or a closed private road ( = perhaps possible but not legal) or open and legal.

-How to find out this?
Sometimes two (paper)maps tell different things, so sometimes you really struggle to find out, sometimes you just have to go there and find out.
-But this road I believe are a toll road! :thumb2
Where the larger road meet this road you can see a small house. That is typical the old way to pay; there is a bill or a form or something in a box, so you write what they ask for (often just the registration number, but sometimes name and adress too) and you either put money in a box in the house, or you send money lather.

http://www.gulesider.no/kart/#lat=6...&route=c_Z0GTKM5F&routeType=fastest&tab=route The house that I believe are the ''toll road house''.

Some roads are marked with a key.
We need a key or to pay, most likely a key.
But not here! :augie
Can you see a thin dark line crossing the road? And no small house or box to put money in? Normally that means you need a key. That key are often in the nearest house - only for local people.
...but if you follow this road to the end, what do you see? It's open, as far as I can see! :thumb2 So this might mean:
A. You can ride in the area from the other end and camp two night and have a bath, if you like.
Or:
B. If you do that you get a broomstick in your head as soon as you take your helmet off...
I would have asked someone before I start to put up my tent.

The key symbol on a map:
-not always updated map
-sometimes mean you have to pay
-sometimes mean private, so back off
-sometimes mean open only summer or in winter
-sometimes nothing to worry about.

All type of roads I have mentioned so far in this thread are most likely gravel, and many of them are closed in winter, and some are open in Easter.

Thanks so far. :)

So would you suggest if there is no barrier or obvious toll, give it a go?:augie
If there's something that looks like it might be a toll, stop and ask.
And if there's someone about stop and ask them anyway cos it's good to talk.:D

Thanks so far. :)

So would you suggest if there is no barrier or obvious toll, give it a go?:augie
If there's something that looks like it might be a toll, stop and ask.
And if there's someone about stop and ask them anyway cos it's good to talk.:D

Correct again! :thumb2

The Norwegians are sick of the large white boxes on wheels AKA campers from countries in the south.

But if 2-3 handsome men stop the engines on their motorbikes and speak English SLOWLY to the natives, first show your tomb and say ''wonderful Norway!'' and then ask for riding or camp one night in the area, who know if they invite you to sleep in the barn? :)
If it is a old lady it would not harm to say; ''Me from England. Beautiful Norway. You beautiful lady.'' Not all old people here speak English, but we all know those words. ;)

A boxer engine with a legal sound are not that loud - and that help too! :thumb2

I'll be back with more info!

Correct again! :thumb2

The Norwegians are sick of the large white boxes on wheels AKA campers from countries in the south.

But if 2-3 handsome men stop the engines on their motorbikes and speak English SLOWLY to the natives, first show your tomb and say ''wonderful Norway!'' and then ask for riding or camp one night in the area, who know if they invite you to sleep in the barn? :)
If it is a old lady it would not harm to say; ''Me from England. Beautiful Norway. You beautiful lady.'' Not all old people here speak English, but we all know those words. ;)

A boxer engine with a legal sound are not that loud - and that help too! :thumb2

I'll be back with more info!

And if you're lucky they might not even ask for money:augie

Though Norway is a beautiful place, it is also silly expensive (sorry my Danishness had me say that:))

And with a bit of luck I'll be back in August....

In 2008 I was stopped at the border (Sweden/Norway - south of Oslo) by a very pretty customs officer who took my bike apart (Danish passport, Dutch bike and license must have set up an alarm or two), and I was stupidly grinning the whole time - wonder why.

I find using Danish is easier than English, especially with grownups, young people wants to show off their English:mmmm

Casper

And if you're lucky they might not even ask for money:augie

Though Norway is a beautiful place, it is also silly expensive (sorry my Danishness had me say that:))

And with a bit of luck I'll be back in August....

In 2008 I was stopped at the border (Sweden/Norway - south of Oslo) by a very pretty customs officer who took my bike apart (Danish passport, Dutch bike and license must have set up an alarm or two), and I was stupidly grinning the whole time - wonder why.

I find using Danish is easier than English, especially with grownups, young people wants to show off their English:mmmm

Casper

Could it be they was drooling :drool over your bike?
Take your bike apart at work must be fun for a customer who want to find out if she want a bike like yours. :thumb2

When I was riding my Scarver and my friend rode his to-stroke Jawa CZ, and we wanted to leave Kaliningrad Oblast the customers checked out my friend, but they hardly looked at me. We have no idea why! :nenau
But you&bike was a mix of 2-3 nations. And my friend can communicate in a mix of Russian, Polish and Ukraine, and had many old VISA for Russia in his passport.
That might be why.:confused:
I was a typical tourist. He and I was a odd couple; different type of bikes, style in riding gear, and my passport had no old VISA for Russia.
-Perhaps they was thinking I was helping a native out of Russia and wanted to bring him to Norway? :nenau
-Could it be you looked like a man who bring drugs from the Netherlands to Norway? :nenau

...or they was drooling over your bike AND over you? :drool;)

-Can we trust the map?
No! :eek

If you look at this map it seem that Gule Sider are not making a route where the road are closed.

The map might be correct about those roads. :nenau

-But it is NOT correct about these roads!
http://www.gulesider.no/kart/#lat=6...IN&routeType=fastest&avoid=motorway&tab=route
I know because I was there in November 2007, riding my sidecar.
So there! :p
I had no trouble with riding from Start to Stop via 1, 2, 3, and 4.
I knew I could ride to 1 (I was there in the summer, riding my Scarver), but I had to call people who live in the area to find out if I could follow my route.
I had 2 maps at home, and I looked at maps on the internet, but the maps said different things.
Well;
the road in the forest was gravel covered with a little snow - no problem!
There was a shed with a box, so cars stopped and payed. -But the sign said it was free for motorbikes! Jiiiiiii-ha! :thumb2

-If there is no fence, no house in sight, just nature; can I put up my tent and stay there for 2 nights?
Yes.
But please be very careful if you want to make a bonfire. Very careful! And it is not legal to make a bonfire everywhere, and not all year.
But you can use your stove / primus.
And leave the nature as it was when you arrived.
It is ok to ''borrow'' the nature but not damage it.

-Up in the area where I was in November 2007 you could easily hide your tent. And if you get some help from a friend you could hide your bike too as there was so many trees and bushes close to the road.

The landscape are more open and windy in the west and in the fjord area.

Back
Top Bottom