Crete: September 2010

Deleted Account 180923001

Reaction score
Mate's getting married in Crete ... suggested me and swmbo, plus others, fly down for the doooo. Well, as it turns out.....my other half's best mate is getting married in Turkey on the same day !!!......so...............I'm riding down to Heraklion on my jack.

If anyone wants to join me on a flexible, camping trip.......you are more than welcome.

Dates: Leaving Dover: 3rd Sept 2010

Need to be in Crete at the latest 15th Sept but would prefer to be there
around 13th-ish Sept to check out the island. Wedding is on the 17th Sept.

Leaving Crete: 19th Sept 2010 to get back to the UK on 26th/27th Sept 2010.

Route there: to be decided (not Italy).... but initially looking at Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece.

Route back: 7/8 day haul through the Balkans...either up the coast or up
through Macedonia,Kosovo,Serbia,Slovenia,Austria etc....

The only ferry booking I'll make in advance will be the Piraeus - Heraklion return....once everthing's more firmed up. I'll be making no camping bookings....no need to and there's plenty of room...especially out of the high season. I am however, booked into a hotel for the wedding for 3 nights....more info for those who'd like to come on the trip. Any reservations that are made will be down to you to book and pay for direct. As I say, it's going to be flexible, which gives anyone who's interested the option to opt out at anytime....the trip will not be hanging together on any one person.

later.............

gordo'

expressions of interest here please.

As I wont be interested in crossing over to Crete ... I'll have to stay on the main land ... And wait for you to come back ... You've got the crossing date's as 13/15 and coming back on the 19 ... If you go on the 13 and back on the 19 I'll have to come back in a week ... If it's the 15 and back the 19 that's five day's ...

Any way do you speak any of the language's of the country's we are going to ???

I'm just panning out a few option's
John933

As I wont be interested in crossing over to Crete ... I'll have to stay on the main land ... And wait for you to come back ... You've got the crossing date's as 13/15 and coming back on the 19 ... If you go on the 13 and back on the 19 I'll have to come back in a week ... If it's the 15 and back the 19 that's five day's ...

Any way do you speak any of the language's of the country's we are going to ???

I'm just panning out a few option's
John933

Hi John,

Crete would be good ... there's quite a few unpaved mountain passes to ride over.....I've been in touch with a local guy who's supplied me with a load of .gpx files for the Garmin. What is it about Crete that doesn't interest you ?
There's probably more to see than I anticipated so will probably cross over from Athens to Crete on Saturday 11th or Sunday 12th September.

I'll tell you where I'm at at the moment with regards to bookings I have made.

The return trip is leaving Crete on Sunday 19th. Gets into Athens 6am on the Monday morning. I've booked a ferry crossing from Patras(Greece) to Ancona(Italy) for that same Monday at 1pm.....might be 2pm....can't remember. Gets into Ancona at 10am on Tuesday 21st. As it's a 20hr crossing it cuts a whole day out from having to ride up the Adriatic. I'm probably going to take 4 days from Ancona to Calais....taking a morning chunnel back to Folkstone on the 25th Sept.

As for the journery there........nothing is fixed but still looking at my original plan.....down the Eastern flank of Europe. What bike are you riding....some of the roads I have in mind wont be of the best quality.....and I'm not a big motorway fan, except when I have to get from A to B in a hurry. Some of the days will be some big mileage days.....the first day from Calais I'll want to get a move on into central Europe........375 miles...that will be a motorway day.

If you're on for the trip, let me know so I can keep you up today with any further bookings I make.

Languages : dont speak any languages but never see that as a problem.

gordo'

you're not subscribed....have you got an email address / or subscribe and you can make use
of the PM facility.

Right I'll tell you where I am at the moment ... I try and do two big trip's a year ... And a few long week end's in Europe ... It's the English weather that dose me in ... Last year I done Budapest for 17 day's ... And in May for this year I'm off to Spain for three week's ... That's all paid for ... So I'm now saving for the end of year trip ... Which your's fit's in to well ...

My E mail is Journeyman933910@aol.com

As there is a bit of time from when you go until now ... The best bet is to meet up some place half way for the day and have a chat ... If it don't click in the first day then three week's we will be at each other's throats ... What do you think ???
John933

I see that Newark is about half way ... It's pick a cafe and have a late breakfast ... Now choose a day ...
John933

Perhaps I should have mentioned this when I first put out the 'Open Invite'.....because of some of the terrain, lots of unpaved tracks in Crete and Greece and some likely rough road surfaces in Romania / Bulagria....this trip would more be suited to some sort of cross enduro bike...GS etc.

Sorry John, I dont think your GSX1400 would work out too well for this particular trip but cheers for the interest.

gordo' :beerjug:

maybe a Scotland trip but, yes....just the one big trip this year. What's your plans ?.......want to come along to Crete ?

gordo'

I plan to head for the dolomites in mid june, taking in the grossglockner
on the way.I will also do a full lap of lake garda & lake como,then head for
the vosges mountains,on the way home. Ive done my routes in mapsource,
so roll on june. I also think, one other trip is on the cards,as this winter is pissing me off big time. Have a good trip gordo.

This trip is still on if anyone's interested.
Journey down is still as planned.
Return journey is Patras to Anconna (Italy) and home.

If anyone wants to join me for the whole trip or
part of...........more than welcome.

gordo'

Back
Top Bottom