Zumo 660 - Micro SD card??

Greasy Biker

Reaction score
Hi,

Thought I'd pass this on as it caused me a few headaches....

I bought a Zumo 660 about 6 months ago, and very pleased I was with it's performance in the UK, and on a trip to France.

I am planning a fly-drive to the West coast of the USA, so ordered the North America maps (on DVD) from Garmin - turned up pronto - so no problems there.

Next was to get a suitable Micro SD card - 4Gb was recommended by Garmin over the 'phone. I visited my local Maplin's and was offered a 4Gb Micro SD-HC card for £34 quid!!

I rang Garmin, who told me that a the SD-HC was not compatible with the unit, and advised that I get a standard SD card.

Upshot of all this was that I ordered an 4Gb Micro SD over the t'internet (£12 quid) - and guess what arrived, an SD-HC card....

So, gave up, and installed the SD-HC card into the 660 anyway, loaded the US maps into the unit, following Garmin's on-line FAQ instructions and it works fine, so happy days....:beerjug:

I got a Sandisk 4Gb Micro SD HC in Morrisons last week for £4 :eek: , thanks to a tip on HotUKDeals. They were reduced to £5 so bought a few and when going through the fast lane the scanner stopped working so the assistant put them through and missed one so worked out at £4 each

Went to Morrissons yesterday in Sutton, Surrey & they were still selling the Sandisk 4gb micro sdhc card. It said £7 0r £14.99 for the same code number but when I got it to the Checkout, it scanned at £5, so duly handed over one rather grubby fiver, and quickly hurried out of the shop. ( Just in Case )

Result :thumb

Because I'm a numpty and didn't bother to check first :blast I got a 16gb sd-hd card .......... which seems to work just fine!:thumb2

BUT - I have a question - what do I use the card for?? :nenau

I don't want to use it for music or pictures as I have an iPhone which works just fine for that, thanks. I expected to be able to use it to store routes on.

I stuck a few pictures on it just to test the unit would read them (and it does) but yesterday I told Mapsource to "send to memory card" (or whatever the correct option is) instead of "send to unit" thinking that it would save space on the internal memory but when I fired up the Zumo it said "user data detected on memory card, import now?"

I assumed I needed to import the data (did I??) in order to use the route?

In which case it just used up more of the internal memory so I didn't end up saving any space ............

Confused I am :confused:

Any clues as to what I should be doing would be greatly appreciated :thumb2

Maxx

as I understand it (but a self confessed non-expert), the card is used for music, pictures and storing routes more thasn the 20 the 660 can hold. So if you go on a 3 week trip and want to take 50 routes with you, you put the first 20 on the 660, and the opthers on the card to load up later.

My 8GB card is pretty full of music, but the 1000MB free will be ten times the amount I'd need for routes.

How much do you want for the 16GB card? :augie

cheers

Markie

Maxx

How much do you want for the 16GB card? :augie

cheers

Markie

Thanks but sorry mate - my daughter has a camera that takes the same card and she has already called first dibs on swapping her 2gb card ...:rolleyes:

So I need to practice "swapping" out routes from the card to memory then? I'll take a look the next time I fire it up as I've not noticed how to delete - I never knew there was a 20 route limit (told you I was a numpty for not finding out before .....) and just thought the limit was dependant on memory card size so bought the biggest one!

Oh well, live and learn then :comfort

Thanks but sorry mate - my daughter has a camera that takes the same card and she has already called first dibs on swapping her 2gb card ...:rolleyes:

worth a try :D

So I need to practice "swapping" out routes from the card to memory then? I'll take a look the next time I fire it up as I've not noticed how to delete - I never knew there was a 20 route limit (told you I was a numpty for not finding out before .....) and just thought the limit was dependant on memory card size so bought the biggest one!

Oh well, live and learn then :comfort

And when you do get it sorted post up! I'd merge my routes into "20" if I hit that limit, but TBH a couple of routes is usually enough for me for my trip abroad.

cheers

Markie

It can also store more maps.

Look at the below where I used Mapsource to upload sections of maps to the 660 as I would have done a while ago with my old 276C. In my case they were maps that were already on the 660 anyway but in theory they could have been overlay maps or topo etc.

Clipboard03.jpg

You can then use map settings page to select or deselect those you want to see on the screen. Here you can see that I've deselected those extra maps but have the normal maps and the 3D view selected.

gps4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom