Air Shock set up

pinkytiff

Reaction score
Been having a bit of a trawl around & couldn't find much about air shock settings and how well ppl get on with which settings. Then I found the pic below on advrider.

Is anyone using this technique? Not tried it offroad yet but it seems very high just sitting on the bike kitted up - tottering toes & all that. (I'm ~6' & 13 stone)

What d'ya reckon guys?

Attachments

• riderSAG_G650X.jpg
    riderSAG_G650X.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 145
I have mine at 120 psi but never measured with a tape. I find that at higher pressure the shock feels more "normal" and doesn't give the ejector seat feeling. I'm also 13 stone. It does make the seat quite high though.

I do a similar measure on my HP2. Once I'd found the right height that suited.

I find only 5mm adjustment makes a hell of a difference, but doesn't need adjusting that often.

Anyone found an adjuster for the rebound setting.

I am sure Rushy would be interested, it seems to "eject you" to harshly. I woulkd not be happy with that, but maybe that is air shocks for you.

I could be wrong but doesn't the adjuster control both compression and rebound? I think there is a disc or something inside with 2 holes, one larger than the other. As the shock is compressed the volume the bottom section decreases forcing some air through a hole into the top section, The opposite on extension. Turning the adjuster on the side changes which of these 2 holes is used as air transfers between sections and hence controls the speed that air can move, ie the damping.

On a normal shock the spring and damping are separate. On an air shock the air provides both damping and the spring. It also changes thinges in a different way.
On a normal shock you can adjust the preload on the spring. By doing this you do not change the spring strength or rate, you just change where the shock sits in its stroke. Manufacturers can change the effect of this by the use of rising rate linkages etc.
On an air shock increasing the pressure increases the mass of air in the shock and effectively also increases the spring rate. You also increase the mass of air that must pass through the hole.

ie more air pressure = more damping.

This is all just educated guesswork, and applying a bit of science and mechanics, so if anyone has greater knowledge than me feel free to correct me.

I could be wrong but doesn't the adjuster control both compression and rebound? I think there is a disc or something inside with 2 holes, one larger than the other. As the shock is compressed the volume the bottom section decreases forcing some air through a hole into the top section, The opposite on extension. Turning the adjuster on the side changes which of these 2 holes is used as air transfers between sections and hence controls the speed that air can move, ie the damping.

On a normal shock the spring and damping are separate. On an air shock the air provides both damping and the spring. It also changes thinges in a different way.
On a normal shock you can adjust the preload on the spring. By doing this you do not change the spring strength or rate, you just change where the shock sits in its stroke. Manufacturers can change the effect of this by the use of rising rate linkages etc.
On an air shock increasing the pressure increases the mass of air in the shock and effectively also increases the spring rate. You also increase the mass of air that must pass through the hole.

ie more air pressure = more damping.

This is all just educated guesswork, and applying a bit of science and mechanics, so if anyone has greater knowledge than me feel free to correct me.

Your physics seems sound - and, as far as I knew, you can only adjust the air pressure and the compression setting between hard and soft (using the dial around the valve - horizontal for hard, vertical for hard)

I've been running mine on 110psi and on the soft setting for most of the time that I have had the bike, like a few others have said the faster you go the better it seems to feel. I weigh about 13 stone and am 5'11 and this is the only setting that I found where I could get my feet near the floor whilst losing the ejector sensation.

Back
Top Bottom